Anyone up for a swimming challenge?

Options

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    One more thing - please feel free to add any practices/sets on here that you do that you think the group might enjoy! Have a wonderful week everyone :)
  • stelid
    stelid Posts: 60
    Options
    Sweet challenge this week. Love it. Doing it.
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    This is going to be my practice today: (Total 2,750 yards)

Warm-up:
    1x300 free swim
    1x200 kick
    1x200 IM drill
    1x200 pull

Main Set - 2x Thru:
    1x100 IM @ 1:40
    4x25 Fly @ 0:30
    2x 50 Back @ 0.50
    1x100 Breast @ 1:55
    1x200 Free Pull @ 3:00

50 easy

Challenge Set:
    16x25 Fly swim @0:30 or 0:25 - depends on how I feel for interval, I'll let ya'll know tm.

1x200 warm down

My guess is that it will take me around 50-55 minutes. I am only going to take minimal breaks between sets and then of course stick to intervals to make sure it goes by quickly. :) Looking forward to it!

Thanks Emily for the practices for help! :)
  • TroyBa
    TroyBa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If anyone's looking for a swim planning app, I've been using Tri Faster Swim Planner for my Android. It's nice, just enter your pace interval and distances and it will set up a warm up/main set or sets/ warm down workout. You can send the workout to your email to print out and to take to the pool. Oh...nice challenge for the week too!
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Good morning! I'm off work today so I got to "sleep in" until 7 and headed to the pool a bit later than usual. Had someone swimming next to me who randomly decided to rest for 5 minutes and then sprint a 25 next to me while I was in the middle of a 300 free. Love it....not! I wanted very badly to say "if you want to race, let me know" but decided to keep my mouth shut :)

Anyways, I did my 16 X 25s fly this morning on :27. I know my intervals seem random, but I don't think I can make them on :25 just yet but I wanted to push it a little faster than the :30!!! Y'all definitely got me through the last 6 though - I wanted to stop SO BADLY or even just take 15 extra seconds rest, but I knew I'd be posting how I did and didn't want to let anyone down! Talk about accountability...haha

Has anyone else gotten a chance to do either of the sets yet? I'll do the 10 X 50s on Thursday morning. And Troy - thanks so much for the Android app suggestion. Hope y'all have a good Tuesday!
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    I actually wasn't able to swim yesterday after work, however, today I am. I will be doing the set that I posted yesterday above. I'll let ya'll know how the 16x25s fly go. I'm definitely nervous because the 8 that I did straight last week were BRUTAL!

:)
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm off work today so I got to "sleep in" until 7 and headed to the pool a bit later than usual. Had someone swimming next to me who randomly decided to rest for 5 minutes and then sprint a 25 next to me while I was in the middle of a 300 free. Love it....not! I wanted very badly to say "if you want to race, let me know" but decided to keep my mouth shut :)

Anyways, I did my 16 X 25s fly this morning on :27. I know my intervals seem random, but I don't think I can make them on :25 just yet but I wanted to push it a little faster than the :30!!! Y'all definitely got me through the last 6 though - I wanted to stop SO BADLY or even just take 15 extra seconds rest, but I knew I'd be posting how I did and didn't want to let anyone down! Talk about accountability...haha

Has anyone else gotten a chance to do either of the sets yet? I'll do the 10 X 50s on Thursday morning. And Troy - thanks so much for the Android app suggestion. Hope y'all have a good Tuesday!

I know what you mean about the people deciding to "race me" randomly! DRIVES ME CRAZY.! I once had someone do that and say once I finished my set "Wow you are faster than you look." I was pissed because it sounds like you are really fat but you are fast. I think I was being a bit sensitive that day and told them yeah I am really fast.
  • stelid
    Options

I know what you mean about the people deciding to "race me" randomly! DRIVES ME CRAZY.! I once had someone do that and say once I finished my set "Wow you are faster than you look." I was pissed because it sounds like you are really fat but you are fast. I think I was being a bit sensitive that day and told them yeah I am really fast.

I know! When people do that it makes me a little crazy to be honest.
  • stelid
    Options
    I did this week's challenge this morning. It was rough and I am pretty sure I won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow morning, but its soooo worth it. I did the 16X25 FLY on the :30 and the 10X50 Free/no breath/back on the 1:00--I made them in the 30s but I needed oxygen pretty bad after those and the 25s. Great challenge this week!! Looking forward to next week's.
  • bzmommie
    bzmommie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My kids just strted back in school and I would love to start this in September once I have gotten myself on a swim scedule. Until then I will read what you all are doing and see where I am at. :)
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    So I did my practice I wrote for Monday yesterday. It was great 2750! I did the 16x25s fly and held them on 28 seconds. They were actually not too bad on that interval which shocked me. I thought that would be hard, especially as I got near the end. Definitely might have to do those again in week or 2 and drop the interval a bit. :)

Going to the pool again today and will do the 10x50s - I'll let you know how it goes!
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    bzmommie - welcome!!! we'd love to have you join us whenever you're ready :)

stelid and Meghan - y'all are champs! great job on the challenges so far!
  • bzmommie
    Options
    Swam tonight 50X25 all freestyle..........took about 35 mins........did not watch the intervals
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm defo in on this one, I've added you all to my friends lists and hope we can all encourage each other towards our goals. I only do freestyle due to new hips so it's hard to keep going at times as it can get a bit monotinus I've got a playlist on my Speedo waterproof MP3 which really helps. The faster the tunes the faster I tend to swim. I've also now ordered a lapwatch that counts laps as you tumbleturn as I sometimes loose count of lengths I've swam and the clock in the pool is broken to time my lengths.

Thismorning I've done 156 lengths of my local 25 meter pool. That was hard. Me arms felt as if they belonged to someone ekes when I'd finished! Lol

Anyway good lick every one let's do this!!!!!!
  • stelid
    Options
    I'm defo in on this one, I've added you all to my friends lists and hope we can all encourage each other towards our goals. I only do freestyle due to new hips so it's hard to keep going at times as it can get a bit monotinus I've got a playlist on my Speedo waterproof MP3 which really helps. The faster the tunes the faster I tend to swim. I've also now ordered a lapwatch that counts laps as you tumbleturn as I sometimes loose count of lengths I've swam and the clock in the pool is broken to time my lengths.

Thismorning I've done 156 lengths of my local 25 meter pool. That was hard. Me arms felt as if they belonged to someone ekes when I'd finished! Lol

Anyway good lick every one let's do this!!!!!!

Hi Monkeylost, what kind of headphones do you use for your waterproof MP3? I have a waterproof shuffle and I got these waterproof headphones as a gift--but they keep falling out when I swim and its really hard to work with them. Do you have any tips?
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!! Doing my workout this morning!! I went to piyo which is basically yoga and I am feeling it this morning! Sometimes it is nice to change it up!
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I wasn't able to swim yesterday getting in my 2nd challenge however today I am.

Here's the story why: I get to the pool and realize I don't have a suit. I knew that on Monday I swam and I thought I put it on my bad on teh outside to dry - I guess not. I checked with the front desk and nothing, checked with the lifeguards and nothing, finally as I am looking all around the locker room feeling like a little kid again because I did this a lot when I was in age group swimming and my parents would get soo mad at me, I saw one of the locker room attendents. I asked her and she told me not to move and a few minutes later she brought back something behind her back. She asked me to describe the suit and after telling her it to a "T" I found my suit again! By this time since I also had to stop and get gas which put me behind, my boyfriend had already swam 30 minutes. I wanted to do 2800 yards so approx 55 minutes and with somewhere to be at 7pm and it was 5:45 and I needed to look presentable when we went, I opted not to swim.

The moral to this story - since I only have 1 suit that fits I purchased another one from SwimOutlet.com this morning! :)

Here is going to be my practice in case anyone wants to join me:

Warm-Up: (900 yards)
    1x300 free
    1x200 kick
    1x200 drill
    1x200 pull

Challenge Set: (600 yards)
    10x50 - 1st 25 no breath, 2nd 25 easy @1:30
    1x100 easy

Main Set: (1200 yards)
    2x300 Free Pull @ 4:15
    * #1 moderate, #2 fast effort
    2x200 Free Swim @2:50
    * #1 moderate, #2 more effort that #2 of the 300s
    2x100 Free Swim @ 1:25
    * #1 moderate, #2 best effort

1x200 warm down

TOTAL - 2,900 yards
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    bzmommie - awesome that you were able to get into the pool! How did the 25s feel?

Monkeylost - you've got a GREAT goal and we're glad to have you here!

Emma - I agree it's great to change it up - let us know how it went this morning!

Meghan - ahhh what a frustrating afternoon! Hopefully this afternoon goes more smoothly :) Your practice sounds great though!!!

I did the 10 X 50s this morning, so I'm done with this week's challenges. Starting to think about next week - let me know if y'all have ideas!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I wasn't able to swim yesterday getting in my 2nd challenge however today I am.

Here's the story why: I get to the pool and realize I don't have a suit. I knew that on Monday I swam and I thought I put it on my bad on teh outside to dry - I guess not. I checked with the front desk and nothing, checked with the lifeguards and nothing, finally as I am looking all around the locker room feeling like a little kid again because I did this a lot when I was in age group swimming and my parents would get soo mad at me, I saw one of the locker room attendents. I asked her and she told me not to move and a few minutes later she brought back something behind her back. She asked me to describe the suit and after telling her it to a "T" I found my suit again! By this time since I also had to stop and get gas which put me behind, my boyfriend had already swam 30 minutes. I wanted to do 2800 yards so approx 55 minutes and with somewhere to be at 7pm and it was 5:45 and I needed to look presentable when we went, I opted not to swim.

The moral to this story - since I only have 1 suit that fits I purchased another one from SwimOutlet.com this morning! :)

Here is going to be my practice in case anyone wants to join me:

Haha... the 'ol "I forgot my suit excuse" (just givin' ya a hard time). I tried to pull that a few times as an age grouper! The coach eventually figured this out and would bring a bag of suits and goggles to every workout.

Other 'get out workout' excuses that I'm sure all of the competitive swimmers can relate to:
    1. "My alarm clock didn't go off! I dunno what happened?"
    2. "I was sick for the morning workout, but I'm fine now"
    3. "My ride didn't show up" (when you were hiding from your ride)
    4. Getting out during the workout because your shoulder hurt... (I always hated those people until my shoulder started hurting)
    5. "Too much homework! School comes first!"
    6. "Didn't the power go out at your house too? I woke up and was late for school!"

Feel free to add... :laugh:
  • bzmommie
    Options
    Emswanson.......the 25 s felt great especially when i got into the grove. Went again last night and did 58 links of the pool in 35 mins which I was happy about because I did more. Have to get a stop watch for my wrist so I can time them myself. I wear glasses so I am blind as a bat and can not see the swim clocks from pool sid. My daughter will start swim team in Sept so I will be in the pool at least 3 days a week sometimes 4. My only issue this week is sore muscles and the scale went up 1.2 pounds but i keep telling myself that it is muscle building up.