Protein drinks :: Plexus Lean vs 310 nutrition

Options
So I am on the fence about doing the Plexus Lean vs the 310 Nutrition. The Lean definitely tastes better. . Anyone know which is better for you. Which are healthier and which help with weight loss better.

Replies

• anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a label reader, both of those products are relatively the same according to the labels. The Plexus is 2 scoops per serving vs 1 scoop of the 310, if that matters to you.

I personally love the Chocolate Premier Protein shakes...good stuff that shuts up my sweet tooth.

Weight loss is another animal, as runnermom419 mentioned. Whatever fits in your calorie budget.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I prefer Premier Protein myself. I don’t know what 310 is but be wary of Plexus or something being sold by an independent rep. Not b/c the product is bad, but b/c they will never tell you about the after. They are marketing reps. Better to incorporate protein drinks into your day or diet b/c you’re in a pinch, need a light meal or snack or desire something sweet but with whole foods and protein sources than just protein drinks. We can’t drink protein drinks the rest of our lives. Do you really want to?

Find ways to enjoy foods in a new way and use protein drinks for a daily breakfast, etc. :)
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Premier Protein also. I will drink one if in a bind for protein. I don't use it for meal replacement. I eat real food for that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I know you want a comment review between two protein shakes. I am here to say that protein shakes are hard on kidneys so be careful.

I know that excessive protein consumption is a bad idea for people with kidney disease, but I'm not familiar with the evidence that protein shakes are hard on kidneys.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, plexus has had multiple lawsuits for lead poisoning, so you really can't trust their label.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Kathy1253 wrote: »
    So I am on the fence about doing the Plexus Lean vs the 310 Nutrition. The Lean definitely tastes better. . Anyone know which is better for you. Which are healthier and which help with weight loss better.

They're just protein supplements...not sure what you mean by which is better for you, it's just protein. Protein supplements do nothing for weight loss...they just supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough with other food sources.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

They're just protein supplements...not sure what you mean by which is better for you, it's just protein. Protein supplements do nothing for weight loss...they just supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough with other food sources.

If it's just like protein found in food we eat, then why protein shakes are not allowed in competitive sports like olympics. If you think about it they should need protein shakes more than anyone since they are doing vigorous training.

I'm not sure that's even true, but if it is, it's because there is an overabundance of caution that some protein supplements might also contain other substances due to poor quality control that could cause an athlete to test positive for something. Something being banned from the Olympics isn't always about health, it's about getting a competitive edge.

You can look at the ingredients on a protein powder to see what it is. Whey is a dairy protein from milk. It's in all (or at least most?) dairy products.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If it's just like protein found in food we eat, then why protein shakes are not allowed in competitive sports like olympics. If you think about it they should need protein shakes more than anyone since they are doing vigorous training.

Precisely which sports organising bodies have banned them?
    Might be worth you checking out the WADA list of prohibited substances because I can't find any references to protein or whey being prohibited.
    If they banned whey protein shakes then surely they would have to ban dairy products too?

Protein shakes are food, just liquid food. Often derived from whey but many other alternatives are available.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I know you want a comment review between two protein shakes. I am here to say that protein shakes are hard on kidneys so be careful.

I know that excessive protein consumption is a bad idea for people with kidney disease, but I'm not familiar with the evidence that protein shakes are hard on kidneys.

If you want more information about it, you are free to do a research about it.

Red meat is hard on kidneys too and may lead to gout development. So best to eat red meat maybe once a month.

I did attempt to do some research, my initial Googling indicated that it may be a myth so I decided to ask you what evidence convinced you. Since you already have evidence for your claim, it may be faster than me trying to find it.

I've never heard that red meat should be limited to once a month -- what specifically about red meat is hard on the kidneys?

The only info I could find is that red meat is bad for your kidneys IF you have kidney disease, and that protein powder may be bad for the kidneys if it contributes to a consistently high protein diet. Everything else was on the typical article farm/click-bait sites with lots of "may"s, "might"s, and "if"s.

OP, neither of those drinks are healthy or unhealthy, they're just protein shakes. If your diet is low in protein and you are looking for a way to get more without a big calorie hit, you can use any protein powder. Plexus products are overpriced MLM products, I've never heard of the other one. Many people here recommend Premier Protein, My Protein, Optimum Nutrition, and Trutein and I'd bet they're all less expensive. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit :drinker:

It's just something I have learned taking nutrition class. Best is to just drink water and get protein from real protein source, meat, but moderate red meat because as I said it's also hard on kidneys and it also can lead gout development.

I get kidney stones and my urologist has never told me to limit red meat or limit the amount of protein that I eat (or drink as the case may be). The only info that I can find that supports your argument is to limit protein for people who have a pre-existing kidney issues like limited kidney functionality - not for people who have healthy kidneys.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options

It's just something I have learned taking nutrition class. Best is to just drink water and get protein from real protein source, meat, but moderate red meat because as I said it's also hard on kidneys and it also can lead gout development.

Here are 3 studies, just offhand, that prove otherwise:

Ko GJ, Obi Y, Tortorici AR, Kalantar-Zadeh K. Dietary protein intake and chronic kidney disease. Curr Opin Clin
    Nutr Metab Care. 2017 Jan;20(1):77-85. Review.

Aparicio M. Protein intake and chronic kidney disease: literature review, 2003 to 2008. J Ren Nutr. 2009 Sep;19(5
    Suppl):S5-8.

Friedman AN. High-protein diets: potential effects on the kidney in renal health and disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2004
    Dec;44(6):950-62. Review.

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options

Please show me specifically where the WADA has banned protein supplementation

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited