Keto measuring devices worth it?

Options
Maryamdyn
Maryamdyn Posts: 3 Member
I am new to keto lifestyle, only 1 week in. I feel good so far, but how do I know I’m doing it right?
Considering purchasing ‘Precision Xtra’ for ketosis & blood glucose measurements. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I was doing Keto, I would get the pee strips from CVS/Walgreens. They change color based on the amount of key tones in your body and are super cheap. I think I got a pack of 100 for about $5 or $6. Definitely a must have while on a keto regiment.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just read a book by a woman who lost 120 lbs on Keto. She recommends the one you mentioned in your post. Like @hydrostation I use the Ketostix. They aren't as accurate but they are cheap and easy to find in any drug store and many grocery stores. Some keep them behind the pharmacy counter so you have to ask. I'd start there and see if you decide Keto is for you before buying the more expensive unit.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less than 50g of carbs consistently, you are in ketosis.
    I used keto to lose all my weight. I was keto for 1.5 years straight and never used a keto device or strip. Keto works by raising your ketones, which gives many people natural appetite suppression, which then helps them maintain a calorie deficit long term.
    Save your money and skip any devices or ketone supplements.

There are 2 active groups here on MFP:
    Keto and the Low Carber Daily Forum. Many keto folk on both and lots of information and support available.
  • Maryamdyn
    Maryamdyn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    If you are eating less than 50g of carbs consistently, you are in ketosis.
    I used keto to lose all my weight. I was keto for 1.5 years straight and never used a keto device or strip. Keto works by raising your ketones, which gives many people natural appetite suppression, which then helps them maintain a calorie deficit long term.
    Save your money and skip any devices or ketone supplements.

There are 2 active groups here on MFP:
    Keto and the Low Carber Daily Forum. Many keto folk on both and lots of information and support available.

• britney24263
    britney24263 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently started the keto diet as well. I felt bad at first I guess the keto flu and then my body adjusted. I am a bit concerned about the amount of fat needed for this type of diet but so far I've lost 6 lbs in a week so I guess it's nothing to be concerned about.