Needing constructive criticism on my calorie intake plans please!

Options
JollyHodgers87
JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Don't be too mean about this! I'm 31 years old and just over 25 lbs to my goal weight and like 3 lbs from a healthy weight. I've been trying to reach this off and on for a few years now. This doesn't sound bad at all, but my annoyance is that it is taking me so long to lose. I have a healthy active muscle mass, but my bmi and body fat % are slightly high. I drink at least 8 cups of water per day as well and my water percentage in my body is lower than recommended. My fitness pal suggests on their calculator that I eat 1200 calories a day. I've been doing that for some time but not seeing any results. In fact, for the last couple of weeks, I've on average been working out 2-3 times a day (yoga and cardio) and eating 1200-1250 calories limiting sugar, carbs, and salt as much as possible. I've gained a pound and accoring to my new body composition scale lost .03% muscle lol. I think I'm not eating enough. What do you all think? Could that be it? I've been trying different calculators, but the one that seems most accurate to me would to be eating at least 1631 calories a day to accommodate for my basic metabolic rate (BMR) of around 1300-1400. I mean under 1200 calories ids starvation. Do you all think around 1631 is a more accurate calorie goal to set for me to lose a couple of pounds a week safely or am I way over/ under? This isn't a body shaming thing, I just felt so much more energy when I weighed 107 lbs when I was younger. I'm definitely not in the market to be that small as that is a bit tiny for my age, but 125 would be super cool.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, we may be able to better help you troubleshoot.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    First-you should be logging your exercise on mfp and then eating those calories. I’m guessing that will put you close to 1600 (matching the others).

But it you’re not losing now, adding more calories is nearly never going to make you start losing.

How are you measuring your intake? Are you weighing all your food? Measuring cups? Estimates?
    First-you should be logging your exercise on mfp and then eating those calories. I’m guessing that will put you close to 1600 (matching the others).

But it you’re not losing now, adding more calories is nearly never going to make you start losing.

How are you measuring your intake? Are you weighing all your food? Measuring cups? Estimates?

I’m using measuring cups/ spoons etc and labels on food nutrition charts.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Smart scales can be sketchy with BF measurements, so don't lose too much sleep over minor changes like that!

How tall are you?

How accurate is your logging? Do you double check the entries you are choosing have the right calories? Do you use a food scale for everything? Do you do cheat meals where you don't log?

I’m 5 foot 4 and I log it all. I feel I’m pretty accurate.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I’ve always hear the more you exercise you do the more you can eat but the more in the green the better ( leftover calories). I usually eat under 1300 and have anywhere from around 100 to 1500 in the green. I eat them how will I lose hem?

It's not true that it's necessarily better to have calories left over. Your MFP calorie goal already includes a deficit, and you're intended to eat the full number of calories MFP gives you. Exercise is for other health and fitness goals, not to create a bigger deficit. Sometimes people recommend eating half the exercise calories because exercise calorie burn estimates are often too high. If you could track your exercise calorie burn exactly, you would eat all your exercise calories.

If you are only 3 pounds over your optimal BMI range, then your weight loss is going to be very slow. Aim for 0.5 lb/week; don't be surprised if you don't see the scale go down every single week.

As other posters have said, get a food scale and weigh your food. Use measuring cups and spoons for liquids only, not solid foods.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    MFP was designed for you to eat back either a portion or all of your exericse calories back. Your deficit was created prior to any exercise. Not eating them back can lead to under-eating, and over a prolonged period of time is not healthy.

I would also concur with the advice above from the others. Getting a food scale and weighing everything will really be helpful more than you think. It's a very eye-opening experience to some, and also a bit disheartening :lol: when it comes to some calorie dense foods which are thoroughly enjoyable and you realize the portion is much smaller than originally thought.

Best of luck to you!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Food scale x100. if you are not loosing you are eating more than you think you are. or you have an underlying health issue.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

set MFP to nore more than 1lb/week loss being so close to goal and health weight, and once the logging is on track with the food scale, make sure to eat back the exercise calories. 2lbs/week is too aggressive.

the last 15 are sloooww and should be more at 0.5lbs. i'm at about .5/week (about 2lbs a month) being well in my healthy weight category. (5'1, 119 now). and at this stage it isn't something is actually SEE every week. I can be up 1 lb as water weight fluctuations mask any loss at this stage. I have to trust the system and look at the trend over 2-4 weeks and THAT is when I see I actually did go down 1-2lbs.
  • JollyHodgers87
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I feel shocked to read that I've been using the app wrong for all this time but glad to know so that I can change it but also now feel like I've been working so hard and trying so hard and have only been hindering my process when I really wanted to eat more! I changed my calorie goal back to 1200 and will try your advice of eating as much of my deficit as I can. I never felt like I was starving myself so I didn't think I was. I may even consider buying a food scale. I just found this article to back you up: https://healthyeater.com/eat-to-lose-weight . Gosh this has probably been effecting my immune system and everything. This makes me sad. I thought I was being super healthy! It worked out for me at first and I've maintained an average weight for a while but I've been using MFP for a long time and had no idea I was doing it all wrong.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you eat back all of your exercise calories just make sure that you are super confident that you haven’t over-estimated otherwise that combined with inaccurate logging is enough to erase your deficit and thus you will not lose weight. E.g.
    If you go to the gym for 1hr but actually truly only spend 40mins exercising then make sure it’s the 40mins that get logged, not the hour. Ditto if you’re using calorie burn data from gym equipment - be aware that these notoriously over-estimate your calorie burn. This is why many people choose to eat back only 50% of their exercise calories.

Eating more will not make you lose weight.

Weighing & logging accurately and correctly entering your exercise will enable you to lose weight if you remain within your goal calories.

If you have a cheat meal, cheat day or night out drinking, make sure you log this too, as best you can, then you’ll see the impact on your loss and it may explain if you’ve not lost as much as you hoped one week.