Insanity workout for 6 weeks and no weight loss. What am i doing wrong?

Options
I haven't worked out in ages and after 2 kids I've got extra 20lbs to lose. I finally stopped making excuses and decided to do homeworks. I started the original insanity. I go at my own pace though it is hard for me since im no gym veteran. Im on my 6th week of insanity and not a single pound of weight loss! I know i shouldnt bother with thr scale but it's frustrating when there is no sign after all the work! I recently incorporated a low carb diet and IF for the last 2 weeks and still no weight loss although ive lost an inch off my waist but it's just an inch. Any suggestions will be hugely welcomed. I am thinking i may not be eating enough bt im worried if i eat more than 1500calories i could end up gaining weight. I want to try doing insanity only 3 days a week instead of 6 and rest my body the rest of the week by just walking lots or doing abs workout only...help! I am so discouraged.

Replies

• angelface2019
    angelface2019 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you @JCoop9 i know i should consider that progress but it just seems to me that 6wks is way too much and long an effort to lose just an inch. However thanks for the reminder of victory. Im not looking to gain muscle yet, i much rather lose all the fat first if at all possible.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more about diet than exercise. For me, exercising intensely leads me to usually gain weight since it substantially increases my appetite and I end up eating more.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are measuring your calorie intake and you are faithfully doing the Insanity program, then you should definitely be noticing a difference.

I am not trying to freak you out, but I would suggest consulting a doctor and nutritionist.

I have done the Insanity program before, and it was awesome! I didn't loose very much although I actually did notice muscle- gorgeous biceps. However, I did not follow the diet plan and I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I am a classic example of an overweight exercise-addict. Since I joined here two weeks ago, I have already lost a lot, and that is mainly due to actually paying attention to how much I eat.

However, if you are already keeping track of everything and completing the workouts faithfully, you should be loosing by now. Double check with a doctor.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are. I'm going to guess you don't weigh your food to get accurate calorie counts. Exercise doesn't matter. Diet/calories do.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are. I'm going to guess you don't weigh your food to get accurate calorie counts. Exercise doesn't matter. Diet/calories do.
  • angelface2019
    Options
    Thanks so much @rdthoms. I dont thi k im eating too much perhaps a little too much carbs. However 2 weeks go i dropped all processed carbs and sugars etc. Will check out the app. Thank you!
  • angelface2019
    Options
    @musicfan68 i wasnt initially weighing my meals but measured them cup wise. However i just started weighing my macro foods.
  • angelface2019
    Options
    Adding to the train here. I've worked out intensely for months and not lost a pound, in fact, gained a few. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but working out, even VERY intensely, does not equate to losing weight if you're not in a calorie deficit (I did put on some muscle, but this was over an 8 month period with progressive, heavy lifting - but I didn't lose weight, or even so much as a full pants size even though my appearance did change).

There are a few things to bear in mind:
    1) No matter your eating "plan" (IF, keto, clean, whatever), calories are STILL going to be king. If you're not weighing and measuring every lick, sip, and bite that goes in your mouth, then you can't be sure of what you are consuming.
    2) New workouts can, and will, cause water retention. If you're sore, that may cover up some fat losses. Measurements and progress photos are great under these circumstances. Like others said though, you probably aren't actually putting on enough muscle mass to hide your losses.
    3) New workouts and sore muscles can lead to small reductions in NEAT. This may not be a huge factor, but may lower your overall needs and your calculations may need some minor adjustments.
    4) Calories are still king.

This is very very useful and insightful info for a newbie such as myself. Thank you so much! I've never been on a diet in my life and i know I've got a lot to learn. Thanks again! @HoneyBadger155
  • angelface2019
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Thanks so much @rdthoms. I dont thi k im eating too much perhaps a little too much carbs. However 2 weeks go i dropped all processed carbs and sugars etc. Will check out the app. Thank you!

If your calories are accurate and on track carbs, sugar and processed foods don't make any difference other than some of the processed foods may be high sodium and cause water retention. It's really all about accurate calories and patience.

@rdthoms Thanks to this app I've started calculating and counting my caloric intake. I want to build lean muscles eventually so i dropped the carbs for proteins and good fats.