Compliments and Motivation - What happens when you hit your goal?

2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Yes the compliments stop but I enjoy being slim/healthy/fit for me and noone else - I still love that I get pleasure when I wear a new outfit because I look so darned good in it :smiley: that's all the motivation I need to maintain (in year 6 of maintenance)

Definitely feel this way too. It's mostly for me and how I feel about myself and how I look in my clothes. I have been maintaining a huge loss for about 5 years now and every time I slide a little bit and gain 4-6 lb, I start seeing bulges where I don't want them and it's enough to get me right back on track.

Also agree with BattyKnitter, I much prefer comments on what I can do or how I'm particularly fast/graceful over "you've lost a lot of weight" type comments. Probably my favorite compliment is someone saying I look athletic, like an old friend who said it was obvious I work out a lot (I honestly don't but I am active) and several random people have told me that I look like I played basketball at my alma mater. I LOVE that compliment the most but it cracks me up inwardly, because in college I was close to 300 lb and very sedentary.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    Even when the demands and rewards were external, I have always been internally motivated.

That is, I have always done things for my own satisfaction and the achievement of those things was its own reward. This way of thinking motivated my loss of 40# and maintaing that loss over the past 2 yrs.

I think that is the best way to do it; at least it was for me.