4 freaking days I did everything right and the scale didn’t budge one bit!

Options
Losingthedamnweight
Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I know it’s not a long time and it’s probably petty to be upset, but I just expected to lose something. Anything. In fact one day I weighed myself, went to take a poop and after pooping I weighed more? What is the science behind that crap??

I can see how people get demoralized checking the scale over and over and just quit

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    You weighed more after going to the toilet? Any possibility the scales are faulty? I'd get some heavy things, close in weight, but of different weights, and do a bit of testing on the scales.

That ... but if he drank a 600 ml bottle of diet coke or water before going, he'd probably weigh more.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You weighed more after going to the toilet? Any possibility the scales are faulty? I'd get some heavy things, close in weight, but of different weights, and do a bit of testing on the scales.

That ... but if he drank a 600 ml bottle of diet coke or water before going, he'd probably weigh more.

Agreed, but if I'm reading right, he weighed, visited the toilet, and weighed again in a row. If the scales are working and that's what he did, I'd expect him to either be the same weight (because it was too small a change to register) or to be a little bit lighter.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your stats, but here is a general scenario. If you are reducing your calories by 500 each day then I would not expect to see a loss. 500 * 4 = 2000 but a pound is 3500. Also, weight loss is not linear - our weights fluctuate through out the day and day to day.

This is a journey and not a quick fix. How long did it take you to gain weight? I would expect it to take that long to lose the weight. If the goal is lifetime success then a few days is irrelevant.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It can also depend on how much you have to lose. If it's 30lbs or less it can be slow going. But, regardless of how much you have to lose, you're going to need patience to win, and especially to keep it off after.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    4 days is too early to be kinda freaking out.... you didn't gain the weight in 4 days did ya, patience is required but I do empathize with you. We've all been there.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, 4 days is nothing. If the weight fluctuations or lack thereof bother you, go by measurements instead.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    I gained 2kg by just moving my scales an inch or two further away from my bathroom wall. In general, I gain at least 3kg between breakfast and bedtime every day.

Don’t sweat the small fluctuations. In 2-3 weeks you’ll start seeing a trend.

I second this-scale placement can do all sorts of wonky things to your numbers. I weigh less when the scale is on my bedroom floor (stone fireplace hearth area) vs our bathroom floor (wood floor). The scale stays out in the bedroom now :D
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the most frustrating thing? Keep at it. It will come off as long as you are truly eating under your calories.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 graph is pretty spot on with how my loss fluctuates when I'm logging. Some days it's up, some days it's down...I get on the scale every day, however I "record" my progress once a week at exactly the same time after the exact same "routine" Get up, do my business, don't drink anything, get undressed and record my weight.. It is rare that over the course of the entire week that I am heavier than I was at that time the previous week.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too. I have also done everything right for 4 days and the scale has not budged. I tell myself it's water weight due to being a bit under the weather, but perhaps my body is just stubborn. I'm already at a healthy weight and am losing vanity pounds, so the weight only spectacularly drops once a month.

You can do everything right and still lose (or in this case, not lose). -Captain Jean Luc-Picard.