Does anyone know how to make oatmeal thick

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I use the quick oats. 80g oats with 300ml milk microwaved for 180 seconds, turns out perfect every time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I thought that only my daughter was helpless when it came to oatmeal. It seems pretty straightforward to me. More oats or less liquid. She makes me make it cause its soupy if she does and no matter how often I tell her to use common sense and lessen the water, she still drowns it.

Oatmeal issues do come up for different reasons... I finally figured out how to not blow it up in the microwave. I cook it 30-45 seconds less than recommended. Works just fine now and I don't have to clean out the microwave. :D

Someone mentioned weighing the oats with the measuring cup. Really best to weigh them on the scale by grams. Liquids by the cup, solids on the scale is far more accurate. That might be part of some of the issues that come up with oats?

I either use a bigger bowl than normal, or only cook it for one minute at a time, stir, repeat until I like the consistency. Yeah, more of a PITA than just putting it in for a few minutes and coming back, but it works. I have to do that with grits, too.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Egg whites and coconut flour
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I usually use 3/4 of a cup of liquid for a serving of oats. And sometimes use protein powder to thicken it afterwards (Quest works for that, don't know about the others).
  • Jnny21
    Jnny21 Posts: 1 Member
    More oats but you can add protein powder.
  • jm1420
    jm1420 Posts: 6 Member
    I do one cup steel cut oat to 3 cups water (recipe calls for 4), because I like it thick and chewy. I use long cooking steel cut. It cooks for about 35 minutes and then I cool and put it in Tupperware and heat it with milk and frozen blueberries every day. Keeps for about 5/6 days.
  • mirapeerance
    mirapeerance Posts: 13 Member
    Stirring and stirring, as well as a higher proportion of oats to water, over low heat makes it thicker and smoother. I like mine very thin, more like thick soup--1/2 cup oat bran to 2 1/2 cups water. Then I stirstirstir over very low heat to get it nice and smooth and add a bit of spinach or leftover cooked vegetables or leftover chopped meat or an egg...This is a high protein way to start the day. I also like to add tamari. Then I let it sit off the heat with a few more stirs for about 5 min.

I live in Scotland where oats are a staple of the diet. Stirring is the Scottish secret to deliciousness....all the rest is eccentric. Oat bran is high protein/low carb and has more soluble fibre which is good for the heart. I don't like sugar in the morning hence the tamari (tastier than salt).
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17988194110089803/

He posts how he makes his oatmeal. This guy has a lot of fun looking oatmeal bowls.
  • gabrielcezarmm
    gabrielcezarmm Posts: 1 Member
    4llenramos wrote: »
    As the title says does anyone have a good oats to water ratio for thick oatmeal???

Use xantham gum
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Combine 1 cup of rolled oats with 1 cup of water. Microwave for 60 seconds, then stir. Microwave another 60 seconds. Stir again until thick and pasty!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Longer you cook it, stir it will thicken. Also, let it stand covered after its finished it will thicken. Thats why if you leave in microwave it gets thicker.
    If you let it soak in water before cooking, it will shorten your cook time too.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes, besides adding the right amount of water, I add chopped raisins, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts to the oatmeal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Necropost.jpg
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    My mom sent me a recipe where they use some of the oats ground up and other part whole, and supposedly makes it thick and more creamy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2020
    I do half water, half milk. (following the instructions, so 1/2 c oats, 1/2 c water, 1/2 c milk) It's the perfect creamy consistency for me. I also add in half a mashed up banana, and some chopped nuts. (banana nut oatmeal!) Plenty thick. Steel cut tends to be thicker than old fashioned, but I personally hate steel cut oatmeal. I can't stand the consistency.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    1/2 cup oats 3/4 cup water 2 min in microwave.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited March 2020
    If it's just for me, I don't even cook it. ;) I just pour old fashioned oats in the bowl and add nut or regular milk to taste. Might add nuts and/or dried fruit, coconut flakes. I like your recipes, I'll try them for others. <3

https://youtu.be/VyBKbrUmBog
  • mary_lou_rios
    mary_lou_rios Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes follow the ratio for the serving I use 1 cup of almond coconut milk and 1/2 cup oats the almond milk adds a bit of sweet and I add chia seeds and almond butter and top with fruit - lots of natural fats but the healthy kind- filling and delish x2pv8wb7vbgt.jpeg

This morning I added Sugar-Free chips instead - so yummy
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Let it cook a minute (or more) longer than the recipe calls for. This gives the oats time to absorb more liquid as well as increases the time available for evaporation. I use more oats or less liquid because I prefer the consistency of rolled oats without them being mooshy.
  • kay9055
    kay9055 Posts: 3 Member
    My mom sent me a recipe where they use some of the oats ground up and other part whole, and supposedly makes it thick and more creamy.

That's how I do it! If you want thick, fluffy, creamy oatmeal, grind up some oats (either quick or old-fashioned) and add to oatmeal in either a 1:4 or 1:5 ratio ground:plain. They also do that in the instant oatmeal packets, which is why that oatmeal is often thicker and fluffier.