60yr+ Ladies I want ta hear your whine...

Options
I'll start I'm 65 this year, worked really hard 2 years ago to get my weight down to 148# (I'm 5' 1") Then we moved to Montana. I love it here and kept the weight off till last fall (2018) Then it shot up to 164# in like 2 months. I didn't change my eating or binge or stuff like that, so I was really irritated. In January I went on a strict detox diet and lost 6 pounds. Working hard watching my calories and walking 2 or so mile a day (in the house cause we have 14" of snow) I've gotten down to 152. Fitness Pal keeps telling me if I keep eating this way I'll be down to 144# by March 7th (tomorrow) YEAH! So I got on the scale today March 6th and wouldn't you know it 153#. I don't get it!!! How do ya keep going I am so tired of fighting... I feel like just forgetting it and turning into a whale wearing moo moos. Let me hear your story so I'll feel better...

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It is more difficult to keep off the weight because our daily calorie allowance keeps lowering as we age. My tummy doesn't realize this and keeps wanting to eat the same amount. LOL!
    All in all, I don't have any complaints yet (I'm just shy of 61).
    Hang in there. Winter is a difficult time. As you mention, it's difficult to get outside and exercise. You're doing great by walking that much in the home.
    Those "in 5 weeks you'll weigh...." messages lie and are a bother. I don't finish my diary so that I don't see them. You would have to eat the exact same foods & proportions and burn the exact same calories each and every day for 5 weeks for the prediction to be even remotely possible. No one wants to (or can) live like that.

Don't give up. Keep up the battle. You're doing great.
  • groovingroomer
    groovingroomer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My story is basically the same, except all my stubborn, won't move weight started at around 55, Im 56 now... sooo frustrating! I have been working out at least 3x per week - going to bump it up to 5. some sessions I was registering 600 calories on a brutal sweaty workout. Felt amazing. But the scale will NOT budge. I am now back here tracking and considering giving up all alchohol... somethings gotta give! I do not like myself in pictures anymore. Its a huge bummer!!! Will keep it up and try to keep motivated with you!!
  • arobins48
    arobins48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration "grnma54". I too am 65 and some days I am so tired that i begin thinking whats the use and don't track. I eventually come to my senses a few days later and realize that at my same age my father had a triple bypass. I admire you for continuing your quest and your determination. You have inspired me to stick with it and push to lose 15-20 lbs which will get me down to 148#. PaytraB i totally agree with you about our daily calorie allowance decreasing as we age. After so many years of eating what i want to eat then putting the brakes on is soooo hard, especially as I love to cook and eat! Hang in there you all! I'm with you and am with you in thought! Best,
    Anna
  • Jpanderies
    Jpanderies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and lost 40+ lbs last year on the Colorado diet. Lucky for me I live in Colorado, where being active is just a way of life. My new motto is to just keep moving....I walk, swim, and do a fitness class. 60-70 or minutes 6 x a week. I maintained pretty well until the holidays hit and then 8-10 lbs went back on. I reenlisted in the State of Slim (Colorado Diet) next steps program to work on my mental attitude more than anything. I know what to do to lose weight....so I just have to get my mind in sync with my expressed goals. I have lost the holiday weight, but going for 20 more. It is a tough road, there is not doubt. In our class we talk about not being a slave to the scale, but it also gives us good info. I fluctuate up and down all the time...water weight, muscle weight, etc. Don't be discouraged, and stay positive. Really sounds like you are doing the right things. With good weather around the corner, your activity level will likely increase. Being healthy, and living each day to the fullest is what is most important. Set your goals and intentions and your actions will give you the confidence to succeed.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 years old (female), 5'8" tall, with a desk job. I cannot lose the final five pounds. I started at 167 a year and a half ago, and am at 156-158. I do a one hour Boot Camp class three mornings a week, and walk five miles the other two during the week, and most weekends do a hike or bike ride. I feel I have my exercise regime in a pretty good place.
    I limit the nights I drink alcohol to 2.
    I stay close to my daily allotted calories most days.
    I get up and away from my desk at work fairly frequently and walk up and down stairs, etc.
    But I'm frustrated because my body does not want to part with the last five pounds, most of which are in my belly.
    I do realize we have to expect some limitations, however, I don't think that 153 is unreasonable for my age, height, and lifestyle. I am grateful for many things, but I really want to get to this goal.
    Thanks for starting this thread and letting me vent.
  • grnma54
    grnma54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I knew I wasn't the only one that needed to just get it out... scream a little. I will and I hope you will also keep at it. Whatever you do! Lets keep this thread and share... Our pains and gains!!! Go girls!!!!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow I really needed to see this thread. I was on a different app since Jan and I wasn’t losing weight like I did on MFP. 61 yrs old usually in good shape. Bad year last year I had a small meniscus tear in my knee and gained 25 pounds have now lost 6 (got the knee fixed in Dec)but I’ve finally realized if I want to keep weight off I’m going to need to do some weight training besides just my 2x/week reformer class. I hike all over the world so I train for my trips except lately in a California it has been raining so much the trails have been closed. I’ve been walking along paved trails if no rain about 2-3x/week 3.5-5 miles plus spin 3x/week. I’m hoping the rain will stop by April. I’ve always needed longer training to get my metabolism going. I’m at 152 but trying to get to 130 by August when I go to the Alps. But I really need to be in great shape by November for 18 days high altitude hiking in Bhutan. I have noticed that so long as I log on this app I can lose the weight and having people like this thread to talk with really helps.
  • groovingroomer
    Options
    Day 2 of logging my food, no alcohol, lots of water... here we go!!!
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and I have lost 32 kg and have about 15kg to go. It's comes off so slowly (< 500 gm a week) and goes on so fast. In Feb I was less mindful about my food than I normally am but I wasn't overly bad, though it's summer here and there was ice cream! I weighed myself yesterday and I've put on 3 kg! I didn't binge at all. Back into it as of yesterday. I never finish anything, but I will get rid of this 15 kg.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    74 here. I lost 50 pounds to get to goal (135) in 6 months. I am VERY active (on average 2+ hours a day ... Riding my horse 6 days a week, weights 3x a week, rowing machine 3x per week, pool exercise 3x per week plus 6 min of planks and some stretching every mornkng). This seems like a lot, but since I'm retired there are still a lot if hours left for other things.

Diet wise, I ate around 1600 calories a day,. Macros averaged about 110 g ptotein, 65 g fat, 150 g carbs and 30-35vg fiber. This combo did a good job of keeping my energy level up and keeping me from getting overly hungry.
  • groovingroomer
    Options
    Day 4, staying within and a little under my calorie allowance - no alcohol! I have an active job, dog groomer, so haven't been to exercise class this week. Back on Monday to aerobic, weight, bootcamp style classes 3x per week and will incorporate some of my at home workouts! (Fitness Blender! a great free website) How are you all doing!?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was so hungry last night I just wanted to binge but I didn’t. My husband can eat anything and never gains weight. I swear his bag of ruffles potato chips was calling my name last night. No alcohol since Wednesday since I gave it up for Lent. I miss a glass of red wine (ok maybe 2). At least it didn’t rain so I was able to walk 5 miles.

How often is everyone weighing in? I usually find once a week is good since my weight can fluctuate 2 pounds during the week. For some reason I weigh less on Thursday’s so I’m picking Thursday as my next weekly weigh in day😁
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    71 here been on mfp for five years + yep 2006 days!! Lost 51 pounds then last year had two major surgeries and have gained 14 lbs, still trying to reverse that before I tackle the rest I want to lose. As we age we have to take being less able or mobile into account, I have to keep my calories fairly
    Low to compensate for the days when I am not up to much physical activity. We all have to keep trying no matter what age. Any queries give me a message and good luck to you all.