Menopause

Options
I’m just turning 49, no signs of menopause yet. I’ve heard from other women younger then me they are already there. I’m terrified of any changes it will bring, wondering why I’m not showing any signs yet??? Ladies...what age did you start and did you notice any major changes with your body? I’ve worked so hard for the last 4 years to be where I am and I’m terrified when it gets here what’s going to happen with my body. Would love to hear your menopause experience.
Thank you

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I finished menopause at 52. Before that I just had much shorter periods for several years. Usually one or two days a year, for an hour or two. It wasn't a big deal. I never got hot flashes, just an occasional warm one, but nothing really problematic. The biggest issue for me was drying out. There are things you can do about that. Ask your gynecologist. I know I was lucky, with a combination of good genes (my mother had an easy menopause) and the fact that I have been active most of my life. I didn't gain weight, except when I ate too much. I was able to lose weight when I ate less and exercised more. I developed thyroid issues, as my mother had, but that was discovered when I was in my mid-40s and was under control by the time I finished menopause.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Don't be terrified. The changes I experienced were gradual over time - sketchy periods that finally stopped (yay), some hot flashes mostly at night (boo) and very few during the day (yay). Some mood lability but not as difficult as happened monthly. I finished the transition by the time I was mid 40s. In my early 60s I noticed my fat was re-distributing - thicker waist, more back fat, less derrière. So after a time, I decided to eat at a deficit and step up consistent weight training and I found my waist again. Wild yam preparations help immensely with the "drying out" of the lady parts and a good moisturizer for the other parts :) I need fewer calories now, and am more mindful of what they consist of. My advice to you, OP, is to continue to do what you're doing to maintain your health.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I started noticing symptoms of being perimenopausal at 44 which is on the earlier side of normal. I am now 47 and haven't had a period for 9 months, so am not quite at the point where I could be considered menopausal. This is much earlier than the norm though. Things I noticed during this part of my life
    1. Sleep difficulties
    2. Hot flushes
    3. Irregular and shorter periods
    4. Incontinence
    5. No libido
    6. Irritability
    7. Vaginal dryness

In saying all that I did suffer a significant trauma during this time and some of these can be attributed to that as well. I didn't experience any weight gain. This would be because I was making an effort to be more active and watch what I was eating. Your metabolism will slow down a bit with the drop of oestrogen and muscle loss but not significantly. If you are mindful of this and keep an eye on both your food intake and your weight, while keeping active, you will not have problems with your weight. Many that experience that weight creep during this time do so because they become less active, or continue to eat as they did when they were younger, not accounting for that slightly slower metabolism. It might only be 10-20 or so calories less a day required but over the course of a year it adds up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AK2AZ wrote: »
    I’m just turning 49, no signs of menopause yet. I’ve heard from other women younger then me they are already there. I’m terrified of any changes it will bring, wondering why I’m not showing any signs yet??? Ladies...what age did you start and did you notice any major changes with your body? I’ve worked so hard for the last 4 years to be where I am and I’m terrified when it gets here what’s going to happen with my body. Would love to hear your menopause experience.
    Thank you

Here ... read the whole thread ...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread#latest

Chances are you are experiencing perimenopause. My gynaecologic oncologist says I started at about 42 yrs old and at 52, I'm still in it.

As for what can happen to your body ... acne, itchiness, feeling prickly, inability to wear clothing with texture ... all sorts of exciting things. :grin::grin: And it can go on for years and years. Enjoy! :grin:

Otherwise, not really body related, there are heaps of other symptoms ... do you have any of these?
    https://www.menopausenow.com/symptoms
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If your mother is still alive, ask her. Chances are your menopause experience will be very similar
  • AK2AZ
    AK2AZ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your mother is still alive, ask her. Chances are your menopause experience will be very similar

She’s been gone a long time now.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    AK2AZ wrote: »
    Thank you

I finished menopause at age 52. I have not noticed any major changes because of it. In fact, I am in a better place post-menopause because I no longer have to deal with monthly hormone fluctuations and all of the cravings, PMS, etc. associated with having periods. Then there is the fact that I can travel without carrying sanitary supplies (not to mention how much money I am saving not having to buy all that stuff).

Really, all I can say is "Yay for menopause!!!" It might be a bit of a nuisance while going through it but the other side is glorious!

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

This is what everyone told me when I had hot flashes from hell. My mother told me that she felt cold during menopause--go figure. I'm 64 and still have hot flashes. It's been over 10 yrs now--sigh. They have diminished in intensity and frequency, at least that.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy when 32yo. Had 1 ovary left and now at 62 I still get hot flashes. Nothing to be scared of....just another season in a womens life.
    You will adapt and you are not handicapped because of menopause!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy was the lovliest thing that ever happened to me......what freedom!!!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    At 52, I just went a year without a period! Hooray! For me, the annoying part was the hot flashes. My periods stayed regular, just lighter, and then nothing since last February! No weight gain. Good luck!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    48 tomorrow and exactly a year without now. Can't be happier. My periods where every other week (heavy and seven full days) add migraines, dizzy spells and you get the picture.

The occasional hot flash or the night sweats are only warming me up which is fine as I'm currently always cold.

Good luck!
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I went through menopause much later than all of my friends. I'm almost 60, my last period was 2 years ago. My periods started winding down around 56, and at 58 stopped completely.

I was really bummed it took so long. While in comparison to everyone else I know I didn't suffer as much, having to wait so long was a PITA. I had no problems in daytime hours at all - other than being rather prickly emotionally (everything bothered me more than usual, my temper was not the best but I tried to keep it in check). I did have some hot flashes at night, but not throughout the night. The worst problem for me was intense vaginal itching while in bed - never bothered me during the daytime. Doctor kept trying to get me to use hormonal creams but I had trouble applying them and sure as heck wasn't going to ask my husband to do it for me (talk about a mood killer) so I just suffered through it. Eventually it did stop but that was hard to deal with and I do suggest using something if it is prescribed and if you can manage it.

FYI I did not use any hormones throughout these years as my mom passed from breast cancer and other cancers run through my family. I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

My libido has decreased a lot but, so has my husbands so neither of us are too freaked out about that aspect. It is what it is. We aren't stressing that part. I'd think it could be stressful if one's husband isn't very understanding that this might happen. My biggest hurdle with my husband was my being always annoyed whereas before that, I was pretty easy going. Thankfully - now 2 years out - I'm back to being who he remembers I was LOL.

A good side effect was my migraines disappeared nearly completely which my neurologist said probably would happen. I went from having them several times a month to only a few times a year. Huge bonus.

I'm not so sure if my weight gain was related or not as I had some other issues which I know had to do with that too - but maybe somewhat. Then again, I'm somewhat of a slug and if one is active, perhaps it won't creep us as much as it did with me.

I haven't had any health issues since turning the corner at all, thankfully. So far, so good. And I feel pretty darn good also. I'm relieved not to have to worry about all of that anymore.