Sugar & Skin.

Options
Okay so i’ve seen a few topic on here lately about loose skin and how sugar can break the elasticity in your skin causing loose skin. So here’s my story. I’m 18 and i’m thin. I had a baby and my skin got very very stretched. many stretch marks. but within one week after giving birth my stomach was smaller than it was before i was pregnant, no loose skin at all. i’ve never cared about my weight much at all until recently i gained some weight with all the holidays! I put on about 2 inches around my waist. But my concern is, I eat a lot of sugar. I always have. I’ve always just eat what i want and i always have. I tracked it all and i saw that in a day i consume around 100 grams of sugar total (natural and processed...but probably more processed than not) I know i’m about to get attacked cause i know that is soo much sugar:( I’ve never cared before now since i’ve always been thin & am young but now i’m really afraid that my sugar intake will cause lose skin especially when i lose weight. I’m also scared because my skin is already thinner because of my stretch marks in my stomach. I plan on taking it slow and taking colleges and applying lotions but i’m just wondering if i have screwed myself over because of my awful nutrition. Any help or guidance? any skin or sugar expert here? Sorry for the long rambling! Thank you for reading!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    You're fine. However, I ate a lot of sugar for decades - way more than 100g for a lot of that time. I gained a whole lot more than two pounds. That's when there's a problem. An 18 YO eating sugary stuff seems like just part of being young. Enjoy it while you can.

It's good that you're learning about nutrition. That will serve you well. There is a link between sugar and collagen, the underlying layer of the skin. I say cut back where you can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was going to be about sugar scrubs to exfoliate the skin :o I was gonna say sugar is great for that :|

+1 to that.

But apparently we should be careful not to taste any of it by accident while scrubbing, according to some people's theories (not mine . . . though I'd just as soon not taste the accompanying soap).

;););)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have also made my own sugar scrub. ^^^

Same ingredients as yours.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of people who thought this was going to be about sugar scrubs.

Me too.

Love me a good almond oil and sugar scrub.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I do can't put any oil anywhere on my face at anytime . . . even though in menopause so I should be all dried out. ;) (I've tried various types various times; results = not good. The whole moisturizer concept is a little fraught, too.)

It sounds nice, though. But I think I'll have to stick with sugar + jojoba soap scrubbing. :flowerforyou:
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I do can't put any oil anywhere on my face at anytime . . . even though in menopause so I should be all dried out. ;) (I've tried various types various times; results = not good. The whole moisturizer concept is a little fraught, too.)

It sounds nice, though. But I think I'll have to stick with sugar + jojoba soap scrubbing. :flowerforyou:

Isn’t jojoba an oil though, albeit a very light oil? I suppose you could trade out the oil in my scrub for yogurt, lactic acid is good for the skin. Either way, love me a good scrub :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Isn’t jojoba an oil though, albeit a very light oil? I suppose you could trade out the oil in my scrub for yogurt, lactic acid is good for the skin. Either way, love me a good scrub :)

Jojoba is an oil, but many soaps are made with some kind of fat/oil - it doesn't have the same effect in the soap formulation as when I put oil directly on my face. I had about the best luck with grapeseed oil for topical use, but finally felt like even that wasn't doing me any favors. Yogurt sounds like an interesting alternative, and I always have some plain yogurt in the house. Thanks for the idea!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was going to be about sugar scrubs to exfoliate the skin :o I was gonna say sugar is great for that :|

+1 to that.

But apparently we should be careful not to taste any of it by accident while scrubbing, according to some people's theories (not mine . . . though I'd just as soon not taste the accompanying soap).

;););)

I make my own sugar scrub with olive oil or coconut oil, honey, lemon juice and sugar. It’s totally edible and is actually tasty :p it can be used on the lips, face and body (really nice on the legs) excellent for exfoliating and reviving winter skin :)

I make my own but I use a liquid glycerin soap, sugar, hemp seed oil, and essential oils (usually lemon). I like it especially after gardening to get the dirt off my hands without drying them like some exfoliating soaps do. It is also heavenly on the legs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Technically jojoba is a wax