Should I gain weight?

Options
G'day all!

I am 5' 11" and currently weigh around 124-125lbs. I exercise 6 days a week with my current split being

Monday (Shoulders and Legs)
Tuesday (Abs and Cardio)
Wednesday (Biceps and Back)
Thursday (Abs and Cardio)
Friday (Chest and Tricep)
Saturday (Rest)
Sunday (Cardio)

I have been doing this set for a little over six months now but have seen really no results muscle wise with only some toning being done and weight dropping more than it was when I first started. I can see my ribs pretty dominantly if I suck my stomach in, bones in my chest show a bit my hip bones stick out and my back, when bent over I, can see my spine bone line thing. I do not track my macros as it is all home cooked food that I do not cook with the only thing me tracking is my breakfast. Should I increase my caloric intake or reduce cardio or since I'm trying to build muscle both increase my intake with less cardio.

Cheers!

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ppomoberry wrote: »
    G'day all!

I am 5' 11" and currently weigh around 124-125lbs. I exercise 6 days a week with my current split being

Monday (Shoulders and Legs)
    Tuesday (Abs and Cardio)
    Wednesday (Biceps and Back)
    Thursday (Abs and Cardio)
    Friday (Chest and Tricep)
    Saturday (Rest)
    Sunday (Cardio)

I have been doing this set for a little over six months now but have seen really no results muscle wise with only some toning being done and weight dropping more than it was when I first started. I can see my ribs pretty dominantly if I suck my stomach in, bones in my chest show a bit my hip bones stick out and my back, when bent over I, can see my spine bone line thing. I do not track my macros as it is all home cooked food that I do not cook with the only thing me tracking is my breakfast. Should I increase my caloric intake or reduce cardio or since I'm trying to build muscle both increase my intake with less cardio.

Cheers!

I concur with the members above. Totally increase calories. You may consider including some minimal low impact resistance training plus a higher ratio strength-training programme you feel is sustainable enough to keep you motivated and on course.
  • ppomoberry
    ppomoberry Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I jump rope using 1/4, 1/2, and 1 pound ropes by crossrope so I'm guessing I do hit more of my muscle groups then if I would simply go for a jog but I usually do it steady state for 55-60 minutes so I was thinking about cutting that into 20-30 minutes of HITT using just the 1/4 and 1/2 pound ropes.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For cardio, I jump rope using 1/4, 1/2, and 1 pound ropes by crossrope so I'm guessing I do hit more of my muscle groups then if I would simply go for a jog but I usually do it steady state for 55-60 minutes so I was thinking about cutting that into 20-30 minutes of HITT using just the 1/4 and 1/2 pound ropes.

As a male at 125 at 5'11" you should def. gain!! Cardio is still healthy, but def might want to reduce the amount unless you want to eat even a lot more. I would also add more calories with the reduction in cardio.

Make sure you get adequate protein as well, so most of your gains are muscle. and I would suggest following a tried tested and true lifting program... I would suggest a full body 3xweek program. What kind of plan are you following now, does it have built-in progression, etc.?

You may want to look at strong lifts 5x5, or starting strength, you will be served much better than hitting each muscle just the once per week
  • ppomoberry
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

As a male at 125 at 5'11" you should def. gain!! Cardio is still healthy, but def might want to reduce the amount unless you want to eat even a lot more. I would also add more calories with the reduction in cardio.

Make sure you get adequate protein as well, so most of your gains are muscle. and I would suggest following a tried tested and true lifting program... I would suggest a full body 3xweek program. What kind of plan are you following now, does it have built-in progression, etc.?

You may want to look at strong lifts 5x5, or starting strength, you will be served much better than hitting each muscle just the once per week

I am doing a common split with excessive that I choose given I only have dumbbells and kettlebells.

Monday (Dumbbell Squats 4x14, Bodyweight Squats 4x13, Dumbbell deadlifts 4x14, Bulgarian Split Squats 4x14 each leg, Calve Raises 4x14; side dumbbell lateral raises 4x14, front lateral raises 4x14, overhead shoulder presses 4x14)

Wednesday (Hamlet Curls, Bicep Curl, Zottman Curls all 4x14; Then two types of bent back rows 4x14 and a kettlebell row 4x14 with a back extension on a medicine ball 4x14)

Friday (Pushupsx50, Dumbbell Bench Press 4x15, Dumbbell lying flys 4x15; Overhead Tricep Extention 4x14, Lying Tricep Extention 4x14, Tricep Pushupsx50)

I am currently looking at the list someone posted to find a good routine that still includes cardio as I am a student and jumping rope would be the only cardio I get on weekdays.

• ppomoberry
    Options

I am doing a common split with excessive that I choose given I only have dumbbells and kettlebells.

Monday (Dumbbell Squats 4x14, Bodyweight Squats 4x13, Dumbbell deadlifts 4x14, Bulgarian Split Squats 4x14 each leg, Calve Raises 4x14; side dumbbell lateral raises 4x14, front lateral raises 4x14, overhead shoulder presses 4x14)

Wednesday (Hamlet Curls, Bicep Curl, Zottman Curls all 4x14; Then two types of bent back rows 4x14 and a kettlebell row 4x14 with a back extension on a medicine ball 4x14)

Friday (Pushupsx50, Dumbbell Bench Press 4x15, Dumbbell lying flys 4x15; Overhead Tricep Extention 4x14, Lying Tricep Extention 4x14, Tricep Pushupsx50)

I am currently looking at the list someone posted to find a good routine that still includes cardio as I am a student and jumping rope would be the only cardio I get on weekdays.

I would still suggest doing a 3 times/week full body workout. You need more stimulus than just each body part once a week. look for a full body 3 x/week dumbbell routine. I would also suggest going heavier; if you are able to get 4x14 you should def increase the weight you are lifting.

If you are to stick with this routine, do your compound lifts before isolation.
    for shoulders, do the presses before lateral raises
    for Back/bicep, work your back first as it is a larger muscle group

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry to get back so late!

I have decided to use a 3-day full body split but do not know which one is best I am thinking https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    or
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout

Which would you all recommend?

I also will be increasing my caloric intake but I enjoy skipping rope for a good hour on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, would I need to increase my caloric intake overall or just eat way more on those specific days in order to prevent muscle lost?

Cheers!
  • erickirb
    Options

I would still suggest doing a 3 times/week full body workout. You need more stimulus than just each body part once a week. look for a full body 3 x/week dumbbell routine. I would also suggest going heavier; if you are able to get 4x14 you should def increase the weight you are lifting.

If you are to stick with this routine, do your compound lifts before isolation.
    for shoulders, do the presses before lateral raises
    for Back/bicep, work your back first as it is a larger muscle group

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry to get back so late!

I have decided to use a 3-day full body split but do not know which one is best I am thinking https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    or
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout

Which would you all recommend?

I also will be increasing my caloric intake but I enjoy skipping rope for a good hour on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, would I need to increase my caloric intake overall or just eat way more on those specific days in order to prevent muscle lost?

Cheers!

First one looks better to me, as it has progression built in
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Eat some more - you are very slender - my 18 year old son (who is very slim and around your height 6 ft) is around 67 kilos so I can envisage how slender you actually are!
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest to not only eat more but increase your protein intake as well. It will help with your muscle building.
  • ppomoberry
    Options
    h90la6lp8sz2.jpg
    1icmqozlrmvj.jpg
    578r7y0dqa2h.jpg

This is my current physic and not sure whether I am dangerously thin or still somewhat in the unhealthy range. I do enjoy jump roping on my rest days for a good hour however so would that mean a significant caloric increase. Also for right now should I not do cardio and wait till I gain a little or just eat a lot and do cardio regardless.

Cheers!

(Also should I worry how much I'm eating right now if it is all home cooked meals with not much fat added)
  • erickirb
    Options
    Amwa77 wrote: »
    I would also suggest to not only eat more but increase your protein intake as well. It will help with your muscle building.

In a surplus protein shouldn't be an issue for building muscle, if a deficit to maintain muscle it is much more important. Assuming he is at least getting adequate protein