Replies

• gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    gvizzle74 wrote: »

That thing says that at roughly 175 cm and 97kg I'm "overweight".
    Makes sense, I know I can drop some weight, or I wouldnt be here. But 45lbs? Probably not. What do you suppose is the effect of osteoporosis? Woman same size weighs.less, right? I'm not persuaded that."muscle is heavier than fat", but it DOES affect bone density.
  • jls1leather9497
    Options
    Now, where do I see all the fancy HIGH PROTEIN recipes? Not a problem yet, but I want to keep some variety in the diet mix.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    gvizzle74 wrote: »

That thing says that at roughly 175 cm and 97kg I'm "overweight".
    Makes sense, I know I can drop some weight, or I wouldnt be here. But 45lbs? Probably not. What do you suppose is the effect of osteoporosis? Woman same size weighs.less, right? I'm not persuaded that."muscle is heavier than fat", but it DOES affect bone density.

Yes, one of the weaknesses of BMI is that it doesn’t distinguish between men and women. It’s obvious that a large muscular man of your height should weigh more than a woman. You do carry a lot of muscle and may well, when at your fittest, fall into the outlier population of people who are not well represented by BMI. BMI was never intended to be the sole determinant of whether an individual was at a healthy weight. It’s just a quick took for identifying people who may be overweight.
  • Mom2Five78
    Mom2Five78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just checked the "optimal" weight on this app for my height. WAY over generalized, and I dont buy it.
    According to mfp, at 69" I should optimally weigh 155, top end of 170.
    PUH LEEZE. I could lose some pounds, which is the reason for.my curiosity. After logging for over a month, I haven't shed really any weight. That's eating the recommended and working out harder than most at the gym 4 days/wk.
    Current weight at 214, wearing 34 Jean's. Only way I'm going to weigh 160-ish would be stop working out and stop eating, or just have one.leg.removed at the thigh.
    Oh, well, still be good for the encyclopedia of calorie / macro listings.

I agree. My SO is also 5'9" and recently lost 40 pounds. He is now 174 and I think he is a bit too thin for my liking.
  • jls1leather9497
    Options

I agree. My SO is also 5'9" and recently lost 40 pounds. He is now 174 and I think he is a bit too thin for my liking.
    Well, then apparently its "possible", even if not ideal.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Enter.my age, height, weight, this thing says I should lose 2 lbs per week at 1500.

MFP doesn't tell you to lose 2 lbs / wk. It asks you how much you want to lose per week, and you tell it. You can choose a slower rate of weight loss.

Read it again. Not even close to what I said. Clearly says that given my info, MFP SAYS I should lose 2 lbs per week IF I go with the RECOMMENDED (by mfp) 1500 calories daily.

A little more reading, it actually calculates 2250, subtracts 1000 for the 2lb loss, resulting in 1250, which IT then bumps up to pump the myth that.men must never drop below 1500 per day.

No wonder the internet so polluted with misinformation -- one person didnt read what I said, and 6 people liked a 'response' to something I didnt say :o

MFP does not give you a recommendation of 1500 until you give it goals that yield that recommendation, like losing 2 lbs a week. My point, which I'm not sure if you're missing, is that MFP won't spit out any calorie goals until you pick a weight loss rate. It only sets floors for calories and ceilings for weight loss rates, but those that don't come into play until you provide information about your current weight, height, activity level, and per-week goal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Enter.my age, height, weight, this thing says I should lose 2 lbs per week at 1500.

MFP doesn't tell you to lose 2 lbs / wk. It asks you how much you want to lose per week, and you tell it. You can choose a slower rate of weight loss.

Read it again. Not even close to what I said. Clearly says that given my info, MFP SAYS I should lose 2 lbs per week IF I go with the RECOMMENDED (by mfp) 1500 calories daily.

If everybody is misunderstanding what you write, you might want to consider whether the problem is with what you're actually writing.

Wait... you think that
    "mfp says I should.lose 2lb per week if I eat 1500 calories"
    is confusing?@!

Nope, that's not especially confusing. It's also not what you said. You said

No "if." Your actual original statement read as though you thought MFP was advising you to lose 2 lbs per week and to do so by consuming 1500 calories per day.

My objection was that MFP does not prescribe a rate of weight loss. It doesn't tell you to lose 2 lbs per week. That's your choice.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Roudy Rhonda is hot - I like a gal with drive like that.

But I dont discount ppl outside the "acceptable" weight. My buddy ted is about 5'6", maybe 180? I thought he was gonna thump that doctor a few years back when the bonehead told him he was considered obese and needed to lose weight. Ted has MAYBE 10-12% body fat, and pec muscle about 3" thick, looks like somebody put a book on his sternum and open ed it in the middle :)
    But the doctor doing work physicals had his little chart ...

5'6" 180lbs, and a body fat of 12% would be a Fat Free Mass Index of 25.6. If true, your friend should be a top tier natural bodybuilder or on anabolics.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

If everybody is misunderstanding what you write, you might want to consider whether the problem is with what you're actually writing.

Wait... you think that
    "mfp says I should.lose 2lb per week if I eat 1500 calories"
    is confusing?@!

Nope, that's not especially confusing. It's also not what you said. You said

No "if." Your actual original statement read as though you thought MFP was advising you to lose 2 lbs per week and to do so by consuming 1500 calories per day.

My objection was that MFP does not prescribe a rate of weight loss. It doesn't tell you to lose 2 lbs per week. That's your choice.

This. If you've got 20 pounds or less to get to your goal weight, a 2 lb per week rate of loss is almost certainly not a good idea.
  • jls1leather9497
    Options
    Roudy Rhonda Rousey is hot. Other than that ... 🤔