Till Death Do Us Part

124»

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I hope that I am still able to be fit and active in my later years. I'm sure my workout routine will change over time, as will my choice of activities. But I don't plan to just sit and be a couch potato.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I started being active in my 30s - hiking and backpacking mostly. We were out every week and did frequent long hikes (5-6 months). I started running at 55 when I could no longer do the long distance backpacking that I loved, because my 70 year old husband could no longer do it. At 62 I have no intention of becoming less active if I can possibly help it. It keeps me sane and happy. I watch what I eat because it makes it easier for me to run well. It isn't vanity, since at my age I don't have a lot to be vain about. Because I am usually active, I can eat pretty much what I want. I eat ice cream and cookies. Tonight will be pizza for dinner. I don't feel deprived because I watch what I eat. I just make sure I don't eat it all every day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I hope that I am still able to be fit and active in my later years. I'm sure my workout routine will change over time, as will my choice of activities. But I don't plan to just sit and be a couch potato.

Good point about preferred activities changing over time.

I lost interest in tennis in my early 30s, but imagine I will always be interested in walking, gardening, swimming, and yoga (all activities my 81 yo mother does regularly or seasonally).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    If you're already having the idea that you're likely to stop your fitness routine as you get older, then it sounds like you don't enjoy your routine and aren't interested in committing to it long term. Find activities that you like and are excited about continuing. Figure out ways to fit the foods you like into your calorie goals.

I like the training part. The nutrition part - some days yes, other days no. It's also difficult to keep up with everything e.g. meal prep, training, when I already work up to 70 hours a week in my career. Not easy to juggle it all. I have bags under my eyes that don't go away :D:/

I understand the time crunch. I'm a professor--another of those careers where we are really prone to working long hours.

I make a lot of things in large batches and package them in individual containers. The crock pot is my friend. I also freeze a lot of things I make in the crock pot; spaghetti sauce and vegetarian chili freeze perfectly. When I have a few minutes of downtime, I plan the whole menu for the week and go grocery shopping on the weekend. That meal planning took a long time at first, but it's gotten faster as I've learned how to pair recipes that share ingredients, and how many servings each of my usual recipes makes.

It does sound like your nutrition approach is pretty restrictive, from your earlier responses. That doesn't mean you have to eat sweets if you find it's better for your self-control to cut them out entirely. But, I would probably not have kept up this way of eating for 4+ years if I felt that I could never have sweets, let alone if I was eating mostly steamed broccoli and baked chicken breast (or baked tofu, in my case). I can see why you would feel that you don't want to do that forever.

I think this is what an earlier poster meant when she suggested that seeking out help for binge eating may be a good idea. You sound like you've found one approach for not binging on cake or chips, but you also sound unhappy with that approach. A professional can help you find alternative approaches that might make you happier in the long run.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    I try to think about the choices I make (specifically about the way I eat and exercise) as an investment in "future me". The choices I make today will help me feel better, be healthier, and look better, in the future.

I don't expect that mindset to ever change, and certainly not at age 55.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Why, what's the solution Ridgeline Workouts?

Que?

I was asking if there's an age in your later years when you'll stop the fitness routine/calorie counting. I've been thinking about this lately. Like for example if I reach the age of 55, maybe I'll "let go" and will eat potato chips and cake again.

:lol:

Why not eat those things in moderation now?

Haha! I chuckling over here. Therapy so I can deal with the restrictions of eating steamed broccoli, baked chicken breast, "clean foods?" Anyway you look great! Good work. I guess it's about self-control and what an individual can handle

I was very active and ate whatever I wanted (within reason) until I hit 47. Then, for a combination of reasons, I gained weight.

I tightened up my eating and increased my activity level, and lost the weight about 6 months later. :)

Four years later, I'm edging up again, so I'll repeat the process above.

I like chicken breast and steamed veggies so I include those in my diet, but I like other things as well ... so they get included too. As long as they fit within my calorie limit.

As as far as exercise goes ... I ran my first half marathon 2 months ago, at the age of 51. :)

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I think when one has experienced the benefit of better health and activity levels everyone would be reluctant to give it all up. I had another arthritic flair up a year ago. Its been a real battle to get back to being pain free and I'm virtually there now having worked out "my" why. I want to extend the activities I do and will keep to eating foods which I know benefit me. In this like for everyone else, the only person who Matters is "Me", those around me will know the benefits of a more active healthy me. I was one of those people who experienced devastating symptoms of Undiagnosed, regardless of investigations, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, once on the Right medication for "me" with the right dietary interventions I got my life and health back increasingly over the last 5 years. I'll only give up when I've no choice, when my heart gives up, 70 is too close for comfort.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,705 Member
    I "let myself go" a bit when I retired (aged 65) but three years later realised that I was fat, frumpy, achy, struggling to do the things I used to enjoy. Rejoined mfp and went back to the gym, dug out my aerobic videos and now, 8 months later I've lost 45 lbs, just reaching my goal weight and can play with my grandchildren, go disco dancing, etc with much more energy. I'm approaching my 70's with enthusiasm.
    It's harder to get it back after you let yourself go so my suggestion is to make sure you have an enjoyable and sustainable way of living established and just adjust a bit as you get older if necessary. In my case arthritis meant I had to give up bodypump and free weights but I can do the resistance machines in the gym.