Till Death Do Us Part

Options

Replies

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I'd like to keep this up for as long as I'm able to BUT if i'm diagnosed with X amounts of left to live, I'm going to LIVE and I'm going to do it with ALL of the carbs
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Considering that 55 is just around the corner for me, no way am I about to give up my active lifestyle.

All the activities I do feel like a fountain of youth for me. I haven't had this much energy in years and I'm having so much fun. And I'm not deprived in any way, I can literally fit any food I'd like into my diet. So no, no changes.

Also curious why you picked 55. Is that your perceived notion of old age?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I love back packing, hiking long distance, mountains and getting to the great views on foot. I love oceans and seeing all the fishies with my snorkel and fins, and my paddle board and calm murky Manitoba lakes. I love a soft, powdery field of deep snow to create the first deep snowshoe tracks in, i also love when I have 100lbs held in the air over my head, when there is 200lbs on a bar on my back and when I have just cursed my way through a 7mile run but then the runners high kicks in and I feel so awesome! I see myself doing a good variety of all of these things for as long as I can do them for! Being the granny who lifts, hikes, and cannonballs off the boat is my goal in life!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I say - I'm now in my sixties and I get some moderate exercise, but nothing as intense as when I was younger. I do eat all the foods, though. No way I care as even half as much about aesthetics as I did in my twenties and thirties. I'm at a 21-22 BMI and that works for me. I'm healthy and that's all I can ask.

You may not live to 55 anyway. I say eat the treats. Work them in. Life is short.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I will be 57 in a couple of months, and while not the lowest weight of my life, I am in the best shape of my life, and plan to continue working towards even better. In other words, I’m just now hitting my stride. I feel awesomeand look great (for me, anyway.) Why in the world would I give up now? I’ve had two pig out days this week, unusual for me, but I don’t eat my excercise calories back, and only about a third of the excercise I do even registers to MFP anyway, for whatever reason, so I figure I’m oodles ahead regardless. I’m loving all this.

After the pig outs, it’s a relief to return to chicken and broccoli. Learn to appreciate them, maybe learn some new cooking techniques to change things up.

Planning to keep strong and carry on!

Btw, I like the guy with the amazing abs over on “success stories” who talked about forcing himself to turn around his attitude. What he did there might benefit you, too. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732049/what-strict-diet-and-exercise-has-done-for-me#latest
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not wanting to be active. I probably won't be running marathons forever, but if I'm lucky enough to live for a long time I can picture myself being one of those ladies speedwalking on the trail.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    That's amazing! I guess I was just thinking that staying lean, the nutrition part can be a bit restrictive for me. I know people say calories in calories out. But self-control is difficult for me, so if I have a little bit of cake or potato chips, it's easy for the dam to completely break. In my latter years I might let go of the vanity of aesthetics, and allow myself to get fat again We shall see.

I don't know why it's amazing to you. I lost 126 lbs when I was 51. I worked out so much in my 50s and early 60s that I got an overuse injury that's still bugging me. I'm still at it at 65, since things like heart attacks, strokes and diabetes are very real concerns at my age, and I don't want to have them. I'm not doing this for aesthetics, but to stay alive and healthy for my family. Being able to wear cute, smaller clothes is just a bonus. One's mindset at my age doesn't change to, "Oh, let me get fat." It changes to, "Let me stay alive, mobile and out of the hospital for my family's sake, because they need me."

And as for cake and chips, the only way for me to lose weight and keep it off is by allowing myself treats to make this way of life sustainable. If I'm always "dieting" and depriving myself, that sets me up for failure. If I'm eating sensibly and that includes some treats in the evening, and some dessert on special occasions, I can keep living this way. There's nothing wrong with a fun homemade meal of 10-15 Beanitos tortilla chips topped with taco seasoned ground turkey, shredded reduced fat cheese, pico, and guacamole. I eat healthily about 90% of the time, so an occasional meal of a burger and fries at a restaurant, or a steak power bowl at Taco Bell, or a breakfast sandwich at a diner is fine.

Hmmmm 🤔

Yeah, I know Jeff Cavaliere - whom I think of as the godfather of fitness - is a strong proponent of "forget the diet" thing because "diets" are temporary and adopt a sustainable eating plan that you can carry out for the rest of your life. I dunno, I guess at this point in my youth I train for aesthetics and good health is just a side effect of the training. Perhaps my thinking will shift if I ever live to see my latter days and I'll start focusing more on health and forget the aesthetics.

And yet Jeff goes to massive trouble to not only outline "diet" plans that are attached to his workout programs, he has tons of dietary information, arguments for/against certain foods and way of eating.

Quite the contrary, if anything Jeff is a huge proponent of just how important proper nutrition in proper amounts is to overall fitness.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I you are looking forward to the day when you can give up the lifestyle you have now then......

emkj20cjrjlw.png
    :D:D:D
    HA! Love it :D
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    How many of you we'll keep up the fitness routine until your time on this earth is over?

How many of you when you reach a certain age in your later years, will give it up and "let go?"

*blink blink*

But that's how you get to be a healthy older person. That's how to avoid having limited mobility, or becoming really frail, having heart issues and so on. (Sure nothing's an absolute way to avoid age related things - but the betting is on the staying active rather than sitting on the couch.) I don't expect to necessarily be at the same level as I'm at now, and likely have to do gentler workouts...but that's not letting go that's holding on! Why would I want to stop moving?
  • GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I started losing the pudge I've picked up along the way because of the aesthetics. But as I get more fit and confident, I realize watching my weight and getting/staying strong and agile might allow me to be as or even more active than my parents are when I'm their age. They are 81 and 84 and heading to Costa Rica with their buddies from college. They go on a big trip every year and have a blast. They're great role models for living life to the fullest. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I hope you won’t feel like that at 55.

I didn’t start working out until I was 54
    At 65 I am fit, healthy, and traveling the world doing things I never dreamt I would be doing at 35.

I don’t plan on giving up any time soon, may have to adjust as time goes by.

Cheers, h.
    Which would you rather be?

Fat, frumpy, and 54 playing wii games, fit, healthy, and 64 sailing the Caribbean snorkling (among other things).

aiq1f6axkelk.jpeg

That's amazing! I guess I was just thinking that staying lean, the nutrition part can be a bit restrictive for me. I know people say calories in calories out. But self-control is difficult for me, so if I have a little bit of cake or potato chips, it's easy for the dam to completely break. In my latter years I might let go of the vanity of aesthetics, and allow myself to get fat again We shall see.

Like others have said, there are plenty of health reasons to exercise, especially as we age.

My mother started strength training in her late 70s to preserve bone mass.

RBG works out twice a week so she can continue to work and continue to be independent (a major reason for people going to nursing homes is because they can no longer go to the bathroom unassisted - IOW, lack of strength in the legs.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    There are so e odd responses here.
    I know people in their 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s staying active. They are awesome and my role models. I'll never give up

Yes, my 81 yo mom is my inspiration, as is a 92 year old woman I met at a wake - this woman does Senior Olympics; the deceased was sedentary.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I hope to keep myself strong and active. I'm 30 (turning 31 this month) and have 3 small kids. I want to be in good health for the rest of my life and also inspire my children. I want them to grow up to be active and strong and consider exercising to be something "normal" and also eating healthy foods and enjoying treats in moderation. I hope to set a good example for them so they can live to their fullest as well. I want to stay around in good health as long as I can to know them for the rest of their lives, and possibly their children's lives, and God willing, great-grandchildren's lives.