Till Death Do Us Part

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I hope you won’t feel like that at 55.

I didn’t start working out until I was 54
    At 65 I am fit, healthy, and traveling the world doing things I never dreamt I would be doing at 35.

I don’t plan on giving up any time soon, may have to adjust as time goes by.

Cheers, h.
    Which would you rather be?

Fat, frumpy, and 54 playing wii games, fit, healthy, and 64 sailing the Caribbean snorkling (among other things).

aiq1f6axkelk.jpeg

That's amazing! I guess I was just thinking that staying lean, the nutrition part can be a bit restrictive for me. I know people say calories in calories out. But self-control is difficult for me, so if I have a little bit of cake or potato chips, it's easy for the dam to completely break. In my latter years I might let go of the vanity of aesthetics, and allow myself to get fat again We shall see.

My father is nearly 80 and he is very fit and active and slim.

Not sure he would describe his activity as a workout routine - but I guess that is just semantics, he is fit and active and healthy weight.

I am 55 ( so in my latter years according to you :o ) and I don't intend getting fat again.

Not do much for the asthetics, that was never my motivation but for the health reasons.

• Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think you’ll find as you approach 55 years that the primary reason for good eating and exercise is health rather than aesthetics.

Unless you want to worry about diabetes, heart disease, etc, you’ll try your best to eat healthy regardless of age.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is def for life I love being active and eating well. I'm only 8 months into maintainence and I eat within my caloroes and enjoy slightly less wholesome fooda. I know what you mean by the lack of control over certain foods. For me its cereal bars and fruit snacks like nakd bars
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This all falls back to what I already mentioned about the dam breaking. Not sure if y'all caught it or not. I know a person can keep an aesthetic physique whilst still eating junk food as long as it fits their macros. But I have a tough time limiting myself to just a little bit of junk food. If I have one or two cookies, I may end up eating to whole container. I have to pretty much 100% eliminate junk food to build an aesthetic body. Hence the point of the entire thread - maybe not, but then maybe yes - to just throwing my hands up at a later age, saying "screw it," and stop restricting myself to "clean" foods. Life's to short to worry about appearances and restricting oneself all their God-given life? But hey, to each his/her own ;)

I hope that instead, by the time you hit 55, you'll have learned to eat healthily without constantly depriving yourself. Or you won't be thin by the time you hit 55 because you'll have given up long before that.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into learning some coping skills so you don’t have to go through your life feeling deprived?
    There are some good books out there (hope someone will come along with the titles etc), as well as counselling and therapy.

Really, there is no need to spend the next few decades waiting to hit 55 so you can eat the foods you love.

Cheers, h.

Haha! I chuckling over here. Therapy so I can deal with the restrictions of eating steamed broccoli, baked chicken breast, "clean foods?" Anyway you look great! Good work. I guess it's about self-control and what an individual can handle

Middlehaitch has a good point. The therapy isn't so you can deal with the self-imposed restrictions. The therapy is to learn a healthier, more sane way to lose weight/stay fit. If you learn how to not be such a perfectionist in your eating, you won't have to throw in the towel and give up at some point. It's a lesson that took me years to learn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For the foreseeable future, I intend to stay active. What happens down the road and whether or not my priorities change, who knows. All I know is that I intend to give myself the best foundation of fitness for now in case I do choose to stay active later.

P.S: I don't need to wait until I "let go" to eat potato chips and cake, so there is that. I expect this to result in more sustainable maintenance.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ah youth <3 Hopefully you'll last a lot longer than 55 OP and when you get there you will again hopefully realise that you want to be get even older. I'm 70 and know that to 'let go' as you put it is not a good idea as I want to be as fit an octogenarian, nonagenarian or even centenarian as I can .......NB....I come from a family of long lifers and don't want to let the side down.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Is 55 deemed old nowadays?
    Ohoh.
    Feeling great in my late 40s and hope to carry on like that for a long time.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I want to be one of those really elderly women shuffling through a marathon.

I remember a few years ago in the masters Olympics a 90 year old woman being disqualified from the walking event because she wasn't walking.
    She was running. :);)B)

Ooooh I plan on going to the masters winter games in January. I'm not 90 but I've recruited my 63 year old friend to skate in my synchronized skating team so she can get to experience this event