Low Calorie Protein Dense foods?

Options
So, it has come to my attention that I need to fit in an extraordinary amount more protein in my diet over the next 3-4 months while I lose the next 30 pounds. I'm getting close to hitting the natural plateau at the weight lifting, and I really need to maintain if I can't grow the muscle.

The soft goal is 0.8 grams per pound of goal weight, which is 190 pounds, so 152 grams of protein. I have ordered protein powder, which I will try to have 3 shakes of daily, for about 72 grams and 390 calories, and that's going to be awful. I normally get around 60 with my regular diet, if I try to keep pace to losing about 2 pound a week.

Please, save me from having to drink a fourth shake. I'm trying to maintain my calorie goal at 1200-1600 calories. What are the most protein dense, calorie light foods I can add into my diet?

Replies

• Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Beyond Meat products - I like the 'chicken strips' that are 20g protein per serve and only ~120 calories from memory.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Shadioutwo wrote: »
    Beyond Meat products - I like the 'chicken strips' that are 20g protein per serve and only ~120 calories from memory.

I was just trying to find retailers in Canada that aren't restaurants, it's surprisingly difficult, but an excellent suggestion!
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Canned tuna, cod, chicken and turkey breast, egg whites, tilapia, shrimp, 0% Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese.

Egg whites are definitely A game here. 26 grams per cup, and 120 calories is nuts. Canned tuna too, 39 grams per can is surprising.
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I was just trying to find retailers in Canada that aren't restaurants, it's surprisingly difficult, but an excellent suggestion!

I'm in Australia so can't really help but I get mine from specialty vegan shops so might be worth investigating those :)
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This thread usually has the answer to such questions:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Scroll through the list until you find foods you enjoy, and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't as much helping you meet your goals.

If you're vegan/vegetarian, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the spreadsheet, but the veg sources are there.

With 30 pounds to goal, and a goal of maintaining/increasing muscle, consider not trying to lose 2 pounds a week. Unless you're doing some highly technical managed diet (and at 60g of protein currently from food, I'm guessing you're not!), you will lose more than the minimum of muscle by continuing at that weight loss rate. It would be a better idea to cut to around 1 pound, pound and a half per week, at the outside; and go to 0.5 pounds at 10-15 to go.

Thank you for the list! To be fair, I am trying. I've ordered 7 kg of powder and will basically have to have it all over the next 3 months. That would get me up to 150, it's just gonna suck. Those shakes are awful.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, black beans, and eggs are staples for me. Also sliced turkey breast from the deli.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The problem is that it's hard to get 150+ g of protein on a diet so low in cals (1200-1600). As you are a guy with a goal weight of 190, that calorie goal seems far too low (although cutting that low makes protein even more important).

What you need is foods that are basically getting their calories from protein, so any low fat meat/seafood, egg whites, 0% dairy (what sardelsa said upthread).

Another option would be replacing some current sources of fat and carbs with ones with more protein.

The next 3 months are going to suck if I try to hit 150 grams of protein. I've ordered 7 kg of whey, and I'll pretty much have to have it all until I hit the target.

The counting was hard enough, didn't think I'd have to worry about this. Until this last week, even on the deficit without extra protein, I was absolutely building muscle and strength. I've just started to plateau now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The problem is that it's hard to get 150+ g of protein on a diet so low in cals (1200-1600). As you are a guy with a goal weight of 190, that calorie goal seems far too low (although cutting that low makes protein even more important).

What you need is foods that are basically getting their calories from protein, so any low fat meat/seafood, egg whites, 0% dairy (what sardelsa said upthread).

Another option would be replacing some current sources of fat and carbs with ones with more protein.

The next 3 months are going to suck if I try to hit 150 grams of protein. I've ordered 7 kg of whey, and I'll pretty much have to have it all until I hit the target.

The counting was hard enough, didn't think I'd have to worry about this. Until this last week, even on the deficit without extra protein, I was absolutely building muscle and strength. I've just started to plateau now.

Why not increase your calorie goal so it's not so difficult? It will be more sustainable, your lifting performance won't tank (which is super important during a cut)
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you need to be so aggressive with your goals?

If I don't do the whole thing, I start slacking and then I start not doing it. I know myself, this is kind of the only way to make sure that I actually stick. Also even a half failure here is a success.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Seitan is very protein dense and low fat 20-30 g per serving of protein. It is relatively easy to make at home. Chicken breast cut into strip to snack on is also easy. Fat free greek yogurt has ~24 grams per cup. I have been able to get 100-120 g of protein on 1300 calories or less without issue and no protein shakes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    With only 30 lbs left to go you should aim for 1 lb loss per week. higher calories, plus adequate protein while lifting will ensure most of what you lose is fat. Not getting enough protein or having too higher of a deficit, given how much fat you have can both lead to muscle loss.

unless you were obese and/or new to lifting (or returning to lifting after time off) you probably didn't build much muscle if any. You can get stronger without building muscle. most strength gains come for CNS adaptation and recruiting more muscles to do the lifts
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, and chicken breast are my protein "go-tos".
  • chrissgarvin
    chrissgarvin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you drink coffee, consider mixing in flavored protein powder. I do 60g in a very large mug (30g of vanilla, 30g of unflavored) and it tastes just fine...like a flavored creamer. Be careful; if the coffee is too hot, the protein will clump, so you should dissolve it in cooler liquid first.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Check out vegansupply you can buy in bulk, but I think they are waiting for it to come back in stock.

https://vegansupply.ca/products/food-service-beyond-meat-lightly-seasoned-chicken-free-strips-2-26kg-bag
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    If you drink coffee, consider mixing in flavored protein powder. I do 60g in a very large mug (30g of vanilla, 30g of unflavored) and it tastes just fine...like a flavored creamer. Be careful; if the coffee is too hot, the protein will clump, so you should dissolve it in cooler liquid first.

I tried that yesterday but it didn't quiiiiite work out, I'm going to wait until I get my new stuff in the mail to give it another shot haha. It was quite thick, and with chocolate didn't quite taste like coffee anymore.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I tried that yesterday but it didn't quiiiiite work out, I'm going to wait until I get my new stuff in the mail to give it another shot haha. It was quite thick, and with chocolate didn't quite taste like coffee anymore.

60grams seems like a lot. I used to whisk in 1/3 of a scoop with skim milk, then add the coffee to that. I used vanilla