How often do you work out for weight loss & toning your body?

Options
So I’ve lost 22 pounds still have around another 25 pounds to go but I just recently started working out about a month ago.
Right now I’m aiming for 4-5 days a week. I switch it up so for example.
Monday is arms & cardio
Tuesday is Rest
Wen is leg day
Thursday Rest
Friday is Cardio & hot yoga
Saturday is whatever I’m feeling so either core or a full body workout, hike.. elliptical.
Sunday is always a rest day.
I would like to lose weight obviously but get stronger & tone my body.
Some weeks I’ll add a workout in on Tuesday or Thursday but this week I have a bit of a cold so I’m taking it easy.
Just wondering what’s working for everyone else?

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    monday - chest, shoulders, arms, light cardio
    tuesday - cardio and abs
    wednesday - legs, back, light cardio
    thursday - cardio and abs
    friday - chest, shoulders, arms, light cardio
    saturday - cardio and abs
    sunday - rest

then the next week i flip around the strength training...legs and back on monday and friday, chest and shoulders and arms on wednesday.

i've been doing this for approx 6 months and have seen good results.

ymmv of course. this is what works for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating in a deficit, strength training can help with muscle retention and cardio is good for health and added calorie burn.

I lift 4-5x per week when losing, 3 days full body lower focus and one day glutes only and sometimes an extra upper day. Then cardio 1-2x per week.

Are you following a program or just going about it on your own? I would highly recommend you follow an established lifting program for best results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Looks like you are just doing whatever for a program... I would suggest a tried tested and true, 3 day full body lifting program or maybe a 4 day split (each muscle group twice) either a push/pull or a upper/lower split.

whether I bulk or cut, I lift 4 days/week push/pull split, the only difference is volume... less volume when in a deficit to help with recovery. usually throw in one or two cardio days, and play sports once a week
  • erickirb
    Options
    Abs daily, glutes/legs 2-3x per week, light cardio 4x per week.

why no upper body?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I maintain a slight deficit most days and hit all muscle groups twice a week heavier, and mix up accessories at least twice a week.

I don't take 100% rest days (unless sick or just exhausted) as some form of active recovery leaves me feeling better.

Edit: my goal is to outlift @quiksylver296

😂 yeah, ain't going to happen 😀
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    In a calorie deficit, I follow a full-body 3x per week program. When I first started, I had some excellent noob gains and then retained a lot while finishing the last of the weight. Strength increased greatly. I do cardio when I feel like it; usually two to three times per week. I also eat all my exercise calories so none of that contributes to my calorie deficit. When I hit goal, I had noticeably more muscle and definition.

• meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit I lost 22 pounds from not working out a single day. Just wanting to incorporate some now.
    The problem I have when I do full body workouts is that I’m seriously so sore that I can hardly move for two or three days. When I focus on upper body then lower body. I give those areas time to heal and I feel like I get a better work out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I know that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit I lost 22 pounds from not working out a single day. Just wanting to incorporate some now.
    The problem I have when I do full body workouts is that I’m seriously so sore that I can hardly move for two or three days. When I focus on upper body then lower body. I give those areas time to heal and I feel like I get a better work out.

If you are more consistent, you'll quit getting sore most likely. My legs are killing me right now, because I was really sick and couldn't get to the gym all last week. By my next workout, they won't get sore anymore.
  • meganreid163
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from eating in a deficit, strength training can help with muscle retention and cardio is good for health and added calorie burn.

I lift 4-5x per week when losing, 3 days full body lower focus and one day glutes only and sometimes an extra upper day. Then cardio 1-2x per week.

Are you following a program or just going about it on your own? I would highly recommend you follow an established lifting program for best results.

I do not follow any program. Just doing at home workouts off YouTube or my phone!
    I’m a stay at home mom who has literally zero time to make it to the gym.
  • erickirb
    Options

I do not follow any program. Just doing at home workouts off YouTube or my phone!

You can still follow a structured program from home, check out "nerd fitness" or "you are your own gym"
  • meganreid163
    Options
    I will check it out thank you!
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So I’ve lost 22 pounds still have around another 25 pounds to go
    Just wondering what’s working for everyone else?

Press on Megan - you do you 👌

Half.way there already and still at it -- you're winning 👍

Because.you asked, I work out 4 days per week -
    M pull
    T push
    W --
    TH pull
    F push
    S & S off

The exercises on Tuesday are the same.exercises as.friday, but not the same.order.
    Moderate intensity, meaning no cake walk but not grueling and grinding every single rep.
    Right around 40 sets of 6-8 reps if that matters ✊ and 15 minutes- ish of steep incline walking to warm up and get the blood going.
    Message.me if you want the whole list. For now, maybe just a response to say congrats and keep at it ( sans preaching).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

There are many programs you can do at home. I workout at home from my home gym.

There are bodyweight, dumbbells, etc. Depending on what kind of equipment do you have. See this link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    There are links to some programs here; body-weight programs included.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Diet for weightloss, exercise for cardio health...easy as that. Eat in a deficit meaning eat less calories, that's all.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't do intense cardio; it's either walking or a fitness glider. I do that daily. For strength, I train with dumbbells 5 days a week, alternating upper body/core and lower body days. (If I do 3 upper body/core days in Week One, I do 2 in Week Two and vice versa with lower).
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you do everything at home (so do I) and use YouTube, maybe use the ones who have structured programs. Like BodyFitByAmy if you sign up for her newsletter will send a new calendar each month. I like using that, because she has a decent workout split that works each area of the body, but most of her videos work other parts of the body at the same time, and always incorporate at least a little cardio.

I know Fitness Blender have all free videos, but they also put programs together that you can find on their website. They're like $10 each or something, but worth it if you want to be told what to do each day.

I need to get back to that myself. I tend to use my treadmill and do more cardio than is really necessary because it is so easy to just jump on it. I have found I definitely need a program that tells me exactly what to do every day, or I will majorly half-a*s it.
  • meganreid163
    Options
    If you do everything at home (so do I) and use YouTube, maybe use the ones who have structured programs. Like BodyFitByAmy if you sign up for her newsletter will send a new calendar each month. I like using that, because she has a decent workout split that works each area of the body, but most of her videos work other parts of the body at the same time, and always incorporate at least a little cardio.

I know Fitness Blender have all free videos, but they also put programs together that you can find on their website. They're like $10 each or something, but worth it if you want to be told what to do each day.

I need to get back to that myself. I tend to use my treadmill and do more cardio than is really necessary because it is so easy to just jump on it. I have found I definitely need a program that tells me exactly what to do every day, or I will majorly half-a*s it.

Ok I will definitely check this out!!
    I am the exact same way I hop in my elliptical just because it’s there and easy! I will definitely check out a program I can use on YouTube!!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Abs daily, glutes/legs 2-3x per week, light cardio 4x per week.

why no upper body?

I'm a vain female with no interest in anything above the waist.
    Hey, just being honest. Woo me all you want. :tongue:
    (I do like 7 push ups per week lol....1 a day to keep my workout well-rounded - I kid of course, I do them all on the same day)

Not wooing you or judging, but I find I need some upper body strength for my lower body workouts. Specifically for squatting with dumbbells on my shoulders. If I hadn't worked on my arms, I wouldn't be able to pick up the weights I currently use. Ditto for lunges. I guess you're doing different exercises, but it's something to think about in case you ever get bored with your current routine and want to change it up a little.