Replies

• kath06139
    kath06139 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    kath06139 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    A healthy digestion is a huge importance in weight loss but I'm wondering what burns faster? I'm lightly active. I occasionally work out 2 to 3 times a week. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good ratio for me?

So are you looking for quick fuel for a workout? Are your workouts very intense?

Yeah I'm doing plyometrics circuit from insanity. And I figure as long as i eat some good low carb food like a veggie and berry smoothie before and have high quality protein i.e. wild caught salmon after I should be fine right?

Yes you would be fine doing that - but you would also be fine doing the exact opposite.

There is zero performance benefit in specifically having a low carb meal/snack before exercise, the opposite approach (high carb) before intense exercise would be normal approach for maximal performance.

TBH - for the workouts you are doing you are massively over-thinking this. Just eat a well rounded overall diet and your exercise will fit in your daily routine just fine with no special fuelling or recovery

I'll add some bananas into my smoothies and some hemp seeds and oats with my berry smoothie IF I know I will work out because it makes sense that you want to have enough energy especially for intense cardio. Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kath06139 wrote:

I'll add some bananas into my smoothies and some hemp seeds and oats with my berry smoothie IF I know I will work out because it makes sense that you want to have enough energy especially for intense cardio. Thanks!

Do that if you want to but it's totally unnecessary.
    You have loads and loads of energy onboard already (glycogen & fat) - your workouts don't require fuelling from food just eaten.

Many people feel better and train better fasted.
    Your attention to detail is of a level about x10 higher than I bothered with a couple of days ago for a 3.5 hour bike ride up and down a mountain.
    For brisk rides up to 2hrs I just drink water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Glad you recognize you are overthinking and see the humor in it :)

nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A healthy digestion is a huge importance in weight loss but I'm wondering what burns faster? I'm lightly active. I occasionally work out 2 to 3 times a week. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good ratio for me?

The MFP default macro ratios are not terrible for most people. Start there.

If you want to be more structured about it, consider this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For micronutrients, you'll do pretty well if you eat plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits.

If you're running out of steam during your workouts, and you're not overdoing the workouts for your current fitness level, then consider eating something carb-y before your workout that doesn't upset your stomach.

For weight loss, only calories matter. But it's:

Appropriate calories for weight management + well-rounded, balanced eating (including occasional treats) for nutrition + exercise for fitness = best odds of continuing long term good health.

And most of us want good health, not just thinness, right? :)

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for that link and wow that was a lot of info and I'm not going to analyze it too deep but I definitely understand what you mean and it is my goal. Just being lean and living a long healthy and youthful life

Focus there, but keep it simple (yup, you're right, you're overthinking . . . and probably overstressing, which is bad for you in itself).

Just do mostly healthy stuff, most of the time, and chill.

I'm 63, very active, and pretty healthy. Trust me, the paragraph just above is goog advice, given what I bolded in your post. :flowerforyou:
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think there is a diet out there that emphasizes eating legumes as a source of carbs and protein. They digest slowly and as a result slows down the digestion process