Out of shape Martial Artist

Options
MeganSKMA
MeganSKMA Posts: 12 Member
edited March 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all!

I am a 37-year-old mother of three. In a bit of mid life crisis moment I joined a dojo and began training in martial arts. I will be testing for my 6th belt soon. This has become my own personal Mt. Everest. My friends think I'm insane. My husband is supportive but a bit in shock. I've gotten this far out of sheer determination, but my last belt test was brutal. I have no stamina and wear down quickly. If I am going to acheive my dream of being a black belt, I need to lose 50 pounds give or take. I would love some MFP friends for support.

Replies

• mkbrockman
    mkbrockman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m also a martial artist, I’m overweight and get tired easy. I’m always asking for ways to get better. I find sparring a great relaxing workout
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I didn't start martial arts until I was 56 and though I had been losing weight, I was still 30 pounds over weight. I guess I had sort of a 'late life' crisis haha. It took 3 years and 8 months (but who is counting) to get my black belt. I can tell you it takes great perseverance and determination which I am sure you already know. I am really glad I did not give up. I found doing lots of cardio to help a lot with endurance. I walk 6 miles or more most days with around 3 of that at ~4mph. Sparing, jump rope, running, are all very good for cardio. Of course martial arts itself is very good cardio - most lessons are sort of naturally high intensity interval training. Right now, I've let myself get a little out of control and need to lose 20 pounds and yes, it puts a hit on my stamina. Hang in there, don't give up!
  • MeganSKMA
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Glad to have ran across both of you on here. Every time I'm doing my warm ups in class I try to keep an eye on the belts hanging on the wall. They keep me going. Our black belt test is supposedly vicious though I dare say they all are at any school. I'll never get it in my current state. Thanks for the motivation!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Former martial artist also.....trying to get back in shape..

I see you train in eskrima.. 👍👍
  • MeganSKMA
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Former martial artist also.....trying to get back in shape..

I see you train in eskrima.. 👍👍

YES I love it. It's an amazing art. Some of the drills can make me insane but I'm still fairly new to it.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Best friend went to the Philippines to compete..

Long time ago.. he taught me couple moves etc. Fast paced stick fighting..lol