Always over on carbs.

Options
2ยป

Replies

• Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I get a 3 pound bag for around $12. Deli meat is about $8/lb.

What is your usual source of protein?
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I get a 3 pound bag for around $12. Deli meat is about $8/lb.

What is your usual source of protein?

I live in Turkey.

Beans, yoghurt, eggs mainly.
  • sefajane1
    Options

If that's USD then it's a LOT cheaper than here! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
  • sefajane1
    Options
    I managed to buy a few chicken backs and necks yesterday from a neighbour, that'll add some protein to my next soup once I figure out how to log the values ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I managed to buy a few chicken backs and necks yesterday from a neighbour, that'll add some protein to my next soup once I figure out how to log the values ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜
    Try using the recipe builder to add all the ingredients in the soup, then divide by the number of portions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Do you have access to skim or low fat milk? I too don't have ready access to low fat dairy and things like turkey or reduced fat ground beef, so I made my own diary to start (after which I realized I like dairy full fat and chose to cut calories elsewhere). Basically, you use 2 tbsp of your full fat active culture yogurt in a liter of warm skim milk, cover, and wait for it to set. You will have low fat yogurt. It's runnier than full fat yogurt, just so you know. If you want it less runny, you could add some skim milk powder to it, but I don't like the aftertaste. If you want to make Greek-style yogurt, just put it in a cheesecloth to drain the whey.

You can even make a ricotta-like cheese by adding some acid (like lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid) to boiled milk.

I also tried making my own seitan (wheat protein) from scratch from white flour, water, and salt. You basically make a tough (not sticky) dough then keep kneading it under water until most of the starch washes off. I eventually didn't like the work involved, but if you are willing to put in that kind of effort, then here is a link that might help you:
    http://www.theveganwoman.com/how-to-make-seitan-at-home-a-diy-seitan-recipe-by-vegan-chef-avi-jean-levy/

I personally settled for chicken breast (I have access to that), beans, eggs, full fat dairy, canned tuna, and sometimes fish (a little bit too expensive).
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Try using the recipe builder to add all the ingredients in the soup, then divide by the number of portions.

I'm good with building recipes, it's just finding the correct nutritional info' for the chicken backs that's the problem. There's so many vastly differing values out there ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Do you have access to skim or low fat milk? I too don't have ready access to low fat dairy and things like turkey or reduced fat ground beef, so I made my own diary to start (after which I realized I like dairy full fat and chose to cut calories elsewhere). Basically, you use 2 tbsp of your full fat active culture yogurt in a liter of warm skim milk, cover, and wait for it to set. You will have low fat yogurt. It's runnier than full fat yogurt, just so you know. If you want it less runny, you could add some skim milk powder to it, but I don't like the aftertaste. If you want to make Greek-style yogurt, just put it in a cheesecloth to drain the whey.

You can even make a ricotta-like cheese by adding some acid (like lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid) to boiled milk.

I also tried making my own seitan (wheat protein) from scratch from white flour, water, and salt. You basically make a tough (not sticky) dough then keep kneading it under water until most of the starch washes off. I eventually didn't like the work involved, but if you are willing to put in that kind of effort, then here is a link that might help you:
    http://www.theveganwoman.com/how-to-make-seitan-at-home-a-diy-seitan-recipe-by-vegan-chef-avi-jean-levy/

I personally settled for chicken breast (I have access to that), beans, eggs, full fat dairy, canned tuna, and sometimes fish (a little bit too expensive).

One of the bigger supermarkets are doing half fat natural yoghurt on offer this weekend so I'm planning to get some on Sunday ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I used to make my own ricotta cheese a while back but I got out of the habit because I'd eat it all myself ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks for that link, I'll have a read of it now ๐Ÿ‘
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Well I've never heard of that before and it does look good but too hard for me I think. I have bad arthritis in my arms and hands ๐Ÿ˜ž
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do not really pay all that attention to going over carbs if the carbs is a vegetable. On other diets - WW for instance - they count little of nothing. Veggies offer good source of vitamins, fiber, etc. Just do not eat fried veggies or pour heavy sauce over them.
    note: I have the same issue because I eat a high fiber cereal(s) for breakfast - I need them. As long as I am not way, way over in carbs I do not really notice.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Try staining your yogurt if possible to up the amount of protein and lower carbs. The stained whey can be used for other things so it is not wasted. If you focus your vegetable sources on those that are lower in carbs and higher in protein you may be able to rebalance things. Beans are great for protein by high in carbs. Here is a list of vegetable with high protein. The greens and cauliflower will all be lower in carbs. 3 cups of brocolli has 93 calories 18 g of carbs (7.2 g of that is fiber) and 7.5 grams of protein. A half cup of chick peas have 135 calories 22.5 g of carbs (6.5 g fiber) and 7.5g protein. understandably 3 cups of brocolli is a bunch, but the comparison is to show that you can get protein with lower carbs fro stalky vegetables.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Good ideas!
  • sefajane1
    Options
    ๐Ÿ‘ Thanks for those suggestions ๐Ÿ‘
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Umm, it is not mainly vegetables, it is mainly beer...

i6jbeyhlor7a.png
    2paxeduikja8.png
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ??? To whom is that responding?
  • sefajane1
    Options
    ??? To whom is that responding?

To me, I think ๐Ÿ™„
    They seem to think that me being over on carbs is due to my 1 small lager a day and not vegetables and other food.
    Funny that, because yesterday my total carbs were 233, 13 of that was from my lager, the rest was obviously food. But hey, they must know better than I do about what I'm consuming ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
  • sefajane1
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: ยป
    Umm, it is not mainly vegetables, it is mainly beer...

Err, you're wrong but just make assumptions why don't you?! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

• sefajane1
    Options
    And don't forget to pull your judgy pants up nice and high...... Ffs ๐Ÿ™„