Phentermine - the good, bad and the ugly

Options

Replies

• yesi42402
    yesi42402 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on phentermine for 3 months with a weight loss of close to 40 lbs. I guess it just depends on the individual because I have had no crazy side effects like some I have heard. Then again I notice that I really never get any side effects from any meds I take and I have never taken anything for weight loss. My dr started me off on the 30 mg and told me to take those for as long as I can and once they stop working she will increase to 37.5 mg. Honestly, I would still get hungry but it was up to me to make better choices. If there's no bothersome side effects I don't see the problem with phentermine, but it should be used as just an aid, you still need to make the choice to eat less, eat healthier, and exercise otherwise you will just gain everything back.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read all the responses and really thought that I should comment. I have lost 99 pounds since March 26th of this year using Phentermine and changing the way I eat and exercising. The very first day I took the pill, I felt very strange. A couple times I felt my heart racing, mostly in the middle of the night. Nothing too crazy for me and I have been taking it for months. I will go a few weeks at a time without the pill and never gain any weight back, I do this simply because after a while of taking the pills, they seem to become less effective so I give my body a break. I think everyone is different and like any medication their are side effects, but they aren't always the same or as severe for one as they are another. I have had huge success with this pill, but have also changed my lifestyle. This pill just helps me not feel so ravenous.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Taking a serotonin regulator like an anti-depressant with this drug is playing Russian Roulette. I don't know why docs prescribe these together. Phen has a little bit of history......

When combined with fen ...
    "The findings on fen-phen, specifically fenfluramine, causing valvular heart disease and pulmonary hypertension prompted a renewed interest in the deleterious effects of systemic serotonin. It had already been known for decades that two of the major side-effects of the carcinoid syndrome, in which excessive serotonin is produced endogenously, are valvular disease and pulmonary hypertension. Several centers were able to note a relationship to an excessive activation of the serotonin receptor subtype 5-HT2B."
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This really depends on the individual. Many folks who begin Phentermine do not eat, and end up starving their body, and although yeah, that'll lead to weight loss, it's not healthy. For me, that happened the first time I took it, and I learned my lesson. This time, I eat properly and walk - I don't take it to be able to starve, but to give myself an energy boost for workouts and control my appetite. It has kept my from snacking, and I usually eat a good dinner, and a very light lunch. I work at 7am, and I go to lunch at 10am, so I rarely grab breakfast, plus breakfast makes me feel nauseated when eating that early.

Anyway, this time around, I'm okay with losing slowly - 5lbs in the first month, and two weeks into this month, and I'm only down two, but it's a good rate for me (although, the flu had a lot to do with me not losing more), I'm a slow loser anyhow. Plus, I know I'm doing it right, and I hope not to gain it all back once I stop since I am not counting on it as a method of starvation.

Amongst the negative, I thought I'd throw in a positive. I have had no bad side effects, nothing but good stuff. Before the pill, it was difficult to workout, I was tired all the time, and now I have a little energy, no crashing, and as long as I take it early enough, no loss of sleep
  • saulavalos2
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in two months with phentermine, the bad thing is i had the common side effects which were insomnia , and high blood pressure, its also affecting me neurologically which is severe anxiety and nervousness, iam currently looking for something more safe because phentermine is literally making me loose my mind. Good thing im almost done with the treatment.
    Im just afraid of gaining that weight back.

45946773.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I took it more than a few times, and had great energy! I lose weight, but it was because it took all of my cravings away, so I didn't snack, and I was able to stick to my calorie intake - no heart problems, nothing crazy every happened, and I'm not against taking again, BUT!! It is REALLY easy to gain all the weight back afterwards.
  • megtaggart1
    megtaggart1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently in my last month of Phentermine and honestly I have not had any side effects. The first time I ever tried it I had the insomnia and i got right off. This time I am with a better physician and she monitors my food intake, my weight, and my meal planner. The office also makes you take a drug test prior. I started out weighing 228lbs and today I am 199lbs. I am scared to get off the medication because soo many people have doubled the weight back on; however, you really have to change your lifestyle if you want this to work out. I learned how to portion my meals, things to do when I notice I am eatting from boredom. The best part was that I finally felt full while being on the medication. Come to find out my Dr. says some people need an appetite surpressant every day. Due to thyroid problems they believe I need one. So I think it just varies from person to person. Its not an easy way out...its a jump start to changing your lifestyle.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine back when it was phen/fen and did great. I lost 80 pounds and kept it all off until I got pregnant with my first child. Then after I was done breastfeeding her, I was pregnant with my second. I tried lots of different things but had all kinds of excuses for not losing weight. It's only now, at 45 years old, that I get up at 4am every morning to go to the gym for 45 minutes. My doctor has put me back on Phentermine to try and get these 50-60 pounds off. I am not looking to be skinny ... just lose enough weight where I'm comfortable in my own skin and healthy and active. I do not have any of the bad side effects except the trouble sleeping at night, which is cured with a melatonin before bed. My alarm goes off at 3:50 to get up to go to the gym and I actually GET UP and GO to the gym!! I feel WONDERFUL. I take a half in the morning and a half at lunch time. I can drink coffee, diet coke, etc. and it doesn't affect me. I've had all my blood work done and all of the tests came back perfect. I don't feel "euphoric" but I definitely feel BETTER. Easy to focus, NOT grumpy, NOT edgy, very motivated and a whirlwind in getting everything done at work. Granted, this is NOT for everyone and if you do not make changes that you can ADHERE TO after you're off of the Phentermine then yes, you will gain the weight back. I am well aware of what causes the weight and know the diet that I have to follow. I know that I have to exercise. These are things that I KNEW back then but honestly just felt I was young and stupid and had the world by the tail and figured this was a magic pill. LOL. I know better know and can take the Phentermine as a tool to jump start this journey for me.
  • marie214214
    Options
    First of all I want to say this pill may not be magical but it does make weight fall off in literary a week .I started about a month ago I started at 203 the most weight I've ever been in my life I'm 5 ft 8 inch so its not noticeable at all because the weight was well on my behind and my thighs which I personally did not love but my husband well that's a different story lol.He started noticing I was losing weight but he didn't like not that he was jealous or anything like that but he started commenting that I was become to look I'll I actually ignored it and thought ya whatever but a month passed and hear I am at 6 30 am and haven't slept haven't ate and just feeling like a crazy women I'm 29 and I've never experienced anything like this its been about a week I've been having symptos of insomnia depression suicidal and paranoid not to mentioned 3 days ago I was really upset about a situation in my life going on anyways I was so upset I was just crying and I felt as if I was having panic attack all of a sudden I feel numbness and hottness running down the left side of my body till this as well I have a pinch in my heart and it seems to bother me a bit as of this day forward I will no longer take Phentermine because I believe deep down inside that this is not a safe thing to do to your body starving it and causing pain and emptiness its just not worth it at the end and as I sit her and stare at my lil girls face I think to myself what will she do without me if I was gone all the "mom aren't you going to eat with us " will forever be a fade my kids and family and health should be my number one priority for the little smiles that look up to me :'( So I wouldn't ever try this again or recommend it should not be given to anyone at all.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When will people learn calories vs exercise. STOP fooling yourself with "diet pills". Remember there are always the long term side effects you don't even know about.
  • NinaChanges
    NinaChanges Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Phentermine, today is the first time I've ever heard about it. But anti-depressants are serious medication meant for people who are suffering. Isn't it a little weird to get yourself such a treatment just because you decided to take this other drug to lose weight?
    I am sorry but it sounds to me like a very bad idea! Are we trying to get healthier here or get ourselves addicted to drugs? After all if we lose weight with medication, which we don't really need anyway, should we be proud afterwards? It wasn't the hard work, the dedication etc. it was the meds.. and if the lifestyle doesn't change then the weight is well regained.
  • kimmielongoria
    kimmielongoria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SwoleSista wrote: »
    I just wanted to share my own experience in case it helps anyone.
    First of all, I don't believe phentermine is a miracle pill. You don't have to read many posts on here to figure that out. I agree that it should only be used for short periods, as a tool to start your weight loss. Taking this medication isn't an excuse to make poor choices.

For those suffering from headaches...
    This is my second time taking phentermine. I am from the east coast and I had been going to a weight loss clinic back home. I finally got a script when I moved to the west coast. Much cheaper! Anyway, the clinic's pills (30 mg) were blue & white capsules whereas the pharmacy's pills (37.5 mg) I take now are white tablets with blue specks. The clinic's capsules gave me really bad headaches for the entire time I took them. The stronger tablets that I'm taking now don't do that to me. You may want to ask your doctor to switch you or ask your pharmacy about switching manufacturers if you're having headaches like I was. The pharmacy can usually order a different manufacturer at a patient's request if it's available at their warehouse.

The 30 mg capsules also made my hands and feet tingle. They never went numb, but I frequently had the "pins and needles" feeling. The 37.5 mg tablets are making me sweat like crazy. It's the only side effect I've experienced from the tablets so far. I eat clean and drink about a gallon of water a day, so I know it's got to be the medication since I've never had that problem before. It's pretty gross and embarrassing. Just curious if anyone else experienced this?

I like the energy the phentermine gives me. I workout 2-3 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week. The last time I was taking phentermine, I didn't have time to work out like I can now. I started my second round on 11/22 and I'm down about 8 lbs. I kept the same diet and workout regimen after I went off my first round of phentermine and did not gain back any of the weight. I know everyone is different.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that my doctor also prescribed me a low dose of Prozac to take with the phentermine. I never experienced any suicidal thoughts or anything like that. However, my doctor said she had recently heard lots of other doctors are prescribing Prozac with the phentermine as a preventative. She was somewhat uncomfortable prescribing the phentermine to me unless I agreed to take the Prozac as well. She also mentioned that the Prozac would decrease my appetite, so I take it in the evening to balance out the phentermine wearing off. I can absolutely understand anyone not wanting to take phentermine again after experiencing a case of the "crazies". That would scare me too. However, if you ever consider it again, or you're skeptical due to this side effect, ask your doctor about taking it with Prozac. For most people, it takes about 2 weeks for the Prozac to kick in, so I'd suggest asking your doctor about taking it for a month prior to starting the phentermine.

I just started taking the 37.5 ( white with blue specks) and I feel fine also. Little bit of a headache but that might be because I stayed up cleaning and doing homework. I do have to drink a lot of water and workout or I feel tired. I think it depends on the other factors in your life how the medicine effects you. Glad to see at least a few other people that are having good results. For those of you that didn't I'm sorry and I hope the issues stopped as soon as you stopped the medication. It works for some, but it definitely is not for everyone.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I took Phentremine as well a few years ago. I don't remember having any specific side-effects from it. I don't think I would recommend it for anyone with any kind of cardio-vascular issues. It did dull my appetite and give me a little boost of energy that I don't normally have. But I stopped taking it for several reasons. One, it was just plain expensive and my insurance did not cover it. Two, I was forgetting to take it daily, as directed, so I probably was not getting effective use of it. Lastly and most important, because I have high blood pressure. The last thing I need to do is take pills that increase blood pressure when I also take them to lower it. It just made no sense.
  • parksfp
    parksfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With Phentermine, you really need to get the dosage and -- very importantly -- the *timing* right. If you must have coffee in the morning, take it, have whatever breakfast you're going to have, then take the Phentermine a couple hours after that. As much as possible, avoid taking it with other stimulants, including nicotine. Everyone should start with no more than half of a 37.5 mg tablet. This stuff is very strong. If you're not careful, it can make you paranoid, super horny, afraid to leave your house, give you headaches, insomnia, etc. But if you use it right, it can be helpful.

It's hard to believe that such a tiny pill can have such a dramatic effect, but it really can. Also, if you have a history of cocaine, methamphetamine, or other "speedy" drug abuse, you're going to need to be *very* careful that you don't get pulled back towards those things. You can get some of those same feelings and effects. If you're one of those who get the "super horny" side effect, it might lead to bad decision making and sexual adventurism.

On the timing issue, you want to take it early enough in the day that it will wear off before bedtime, but not so early that you'll crash before sleeping and start craving your favorite cookies or pasta or whatever. Ideally, you want it to wear off just as you're ready for bed, but that might be hard to get exactly right.

Also, you absolutely must resist the urge to take more than recommended or to abuse Phentermine to give you a boost for working out or to get through the day after a rough night out drinking. Also, don't forget to drink lots of water and actually eat something at meal time. You may need to set a timer to remind you to take a sip of water every so often and to eat, because one of the effects of Phentermine is to reduce your desire for food and water. You can get very engrossed in something and forget to eat or drink and easily dehydrate yourself or get too hungry.

Tweak your usage to suit your lifestyle and metabolism. Not everyone needs to take the whole pill.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field and have seen bad results with this drug. It is essentially legalized meth.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Not my personal experience, my husband was put on it when he was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. He lost around 60lbs, IIRC over 4-6 months. He wanted to do the last 10-20lbs without it, which he never really lost. He gained 10lbs back actually, but then lost that again. So he's right back where he left off the meds, which is fine his sleep apnea was resolved.

He felt agitated on it, like he'd had a lot of caffeine. He had some issues with pins and needles in his hands after exercise. It may have affected his sleep, I can't recall. He had no super bad side effects on it, but he didn't feel great. He was happy to get off it and does not desire to be on it again.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I work in the medical field and have seen bad results with this drug. It is essentially legalized meth.

I mean, isn't Adderall as well? Actually, Phentermine isn't even on this list:
    https://amphetamines.com/types/legal/what-prescription-drugs-qualify-as-amphetamines/
  • ssilver1215
    ssilver1215 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I took it for awhile. I didn’t have any negative side effects. It definitely kickstarted my weight loss. After a month or two I stopped taking it because I felt like I had a handle on my weight loss journey and didn’t need the help.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I mean, isn't Adderall as well? Actually, Phentermine isn't even on this list:
    https://amphetamines.com/types/legal/what-prescription-drugs-qualify-as-amphetamines/

Yes. All the stimulants are potentially harmful. There have been studies showing damage to the heart, heart failure and valve problems with using these. A young woman came in the ER in cardiopulmonary arrest years ago. She was otherwise healthy. The only thing she was taking was phentermine to lose the baby weight. So sad. Ever since then I try to warn people.