Not lost a pound in 2 weeks

Options

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Trust the process and find ways to work foods you enjoy into your calorie budget.

This is what I was gonna say.

If you are weighing your foods properly, choosing accurate database entries and eating at a deficit, then you will lose weight. As many others have said, water weight can easily mask a loss. So be patient and trust the process.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't deduct steps off a fitbit. I'd just let that help me determine whether I was "active," "lightly active," etc. I only deduct calories for cardiovascular exercise tracked on a heart rate monitor. Not steps.
  • maraingerham
    maraingerham Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Jflowwers I think strength training 3-4 days a week is good for a beginning program. If you trust your trainer and their certifications and experience (how long have they been training? do they have testimonials from past clients?) then I would follow that.

Listen to the podcast “Thick Thighs Save Lives” :) on iTunes. There’s an episode all about throwing the f-ing scale out the window bc it’s USELESS!! Listen to it! It’s 100% accurate data AND it will make you laugh 😂
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @maraingerham I don't know how I feel
    About my trainer. He’s fun, and do get a workout but I feel i could be doing more. Definitely not “kicking my *kitten*” but is that what i need? Or slow and steady to get me where I can actually do a pushup?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Jflowwers wrote: »
    @maraingerham

I am working with a trainer 3 times a week for 30
    Minutes. I would say typical beginners strength training ( walking lunges, free weights, planks, ect.) I do gentle/ beginners vinyasa 5 days week, and cardio of some sort 6 days week ( elliptical/ neighborhood walk/ trying to learn to run) I have tried orange theory but was out of my fitness level. Id really like to try again.

I think the thing I am the most confused by is I look exactly the same, measurements haven’t budged.

Thank you for the kind words.

Is the exercise regimen newish? My scale went up 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again. Took a few weeks to come back off and reach a new low.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hang in there, it's not all about the weight but about the lifestyle changes too. Consider tracking measurements as well - checkout myshape.fitness (google it) to setup a body shape goal and create a 3D avatar and track toward that. FWIW I've had plateaus before and found that mixing up calorie deficits during the week helped (go an extra -100 cals for a few days then +300 cals one day).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    I am working with a trainer 3 times a week for 30 Minutes. I would say typical beginners strength training ( walking lunges, free weights, planks, ect.) I do gentle/ beginners vinyasa 5 days week, and cardio of some sort 6 days week ( elliptical/ neighborhood walk/ trying to learn to run) I have tried orange theory but was out of my fitness level. Id really like to try again. I think the thing I am the most confused by is I look exactly the same, measurements haven’t budged.

At some level and after a few initial training sessions I would ask myself and the trainer as to the benefit of having them continue to train me.

After they've shown you the correct form for the various exercises and verified you're doing them correctly and given you some programming... what are they adding to your 3x a week training session? And if it consists of walking lunges and planks... do you even need to be at the gym for this portion of your workout.

I would actually be much more curious about the trainer teaching you how to lift weights and getting you started on a beginner strength training program.

Also I am sort of wondering why I would pay a trainer and have extra oomph left in the tank. OK. Maybe enough to walk to the car... but if you're not feeling it the next day, at least a little bit, I am not sure that your goals of substantial progress necessarily align with the trainer's desire for more paid sessions...

I always thought it was more common for trainers to over-push things as opposed to not push their clients enough--but then again I haven't been trained, yet! :smiley:

• Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Give it time and don't fret. Don't want to swithc one problem for another. Whenever I get stuck and the weight is not shifting it normally turns out that my measuring was wrong - unfortunately not my weight but my foodstuffs :(
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. Think in terms of averages. Some weeks the scale won’t move. Then there’s a sudden drop. Especially women (hormones). E.g. I stall (or gain) for 2 weeks following menstruation and lose for 2 weeks following ovulation. Over 4 weeks, the math works exactly as expected.

This is also a thing. https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have been through this. No idea why I didn’t lose for so long. It is sooooo frustrating but if you stick with it and are patient the scale should eventually begin moving again.
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    I used this week as an expirment. I was extra strict. Gallon of water. Meticulous. Didn’t eat out once. Orange theory, the gym, yoga. GAINED. This makes 3 lbs in a month of a average of 800-1000 calorie deficit and continous workouts. Just about to give up.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day?
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    @SCoil123

I am not sure how to change my approach when I am eating clean, never over 1400 a day, with a large calorie deficit and burning anywhere between 500-800 calories a week with various cardio and weight training. Nothing is changing. My measurements, my clothes, my weight. I am gaining weight.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @SCoil123

I am not sure how to change my approach when I am eating clean, never over 1400 a day, with a large calorie deficit and burning anywhere between 500-800 calories a week with various cardio and weight training. Nothing is changing. My measurements, my clothes, my weight. I am gaining weight.

1400 net or gross? And you haven't touched on the question of how you choose which database entry to log your (every time, weighed on the scale) foods. Are you choosing the entry with the lowest calorie number, or are you double-checking with the USDA charts? Are you weighing single portions of pre-packaged foods? I don't know your definition of "clean" and I don't even always rinse my fresh vegetables. If we're talking about that 1400 maximum calories being net, how do you determine how many calories you've burned? Have you double-checked with a MET calculator? Consider eating a lower percentage of them back?

I don't want to tell you to eat less - but I'm not entirely convinced that your numbers add up. If you're gaining, and it's not water, then you're eating MUCH more than you're telling us, or there's something medically wrong with you.
  • flutes2
    flutes2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 50 days now. I lost NOTHING the first 3 weeks. Then I lost 2lbs. The following week another 2lbs. Keep on plan and don't fret. If you are following the plan the weight will eventually come off.