How to have energy on 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    To the original question, how is your salt and potassium? Are you tracking (and meeting!) those daily goals?
  • Amani800
    Amani800 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in about certain medications for example Beta Blockers and other BP meds. I have been on these medications for about 4 years (I used to be normal weight) And I know it messes with my metabolism. I have been doing DDPY for 3 months everyday except one. The last 24 days, logged into this site counting calories and intake about 1750 daily or less ( I am now down to 1500 a day. And not 1 pound lost. Not even half a pound. I have tried over the last 4 years: Keto, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, all meat. No weight loss. Talk to the doctor? They say get more active and talk to a nutritionist. I basically am a nutritionist now after 4 years of this lol. Most Doctors just want you on more meds!

Thanks for your response. I totally understand your struggle. I actually caught my doctor out recently. First he tried to convince me that my weight gain was a result of Christmas and that Fluoxetine doesn't cause weight gain. Then he completely backtracked a few minutes later and admitted it can. I think he was trying to get me to stay on it cause he saw how much it helped my anxiety.

But it's really frustrating when people don't understand that in some cases you have absolutely no control over your weight when on certain meds. I'm part of an SSRI support forum that's full of stories identical to yours, so every day I see posts reminding me how prevalent it is
  • Amani800
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Really we are all getting caught into semantics, a bit, and you, OP, are getting caught into your mind-*kitten* issue of having had this medication that has messed you up.

It really doesn't matter what or how caused your weight gain. and it really does not matter what you may know or think you were eating in the past... what matters is what you're DOING NOW.

#1: You've lost 16lbs in two months this indicates either a water weight drop or a fat drop commensurate with a 1000 Cal a day deficit or some combination.

#2: You feel like **kitten**. This is not a desired result independent of anything else.

#3: you do not have a medical life threatening need to lose the weight today. You're losing weight, one would think, in order to feel better. Feeling like **kitten** is not accomplishing your goal, not really!

So what can you do?

You can:

Use a weight trend application. It doesn't sound like you have been. Feed back all your weight data and concentrate on your trend. Consider your trend to be your weight.

EAT MORE OF YOUR CURRENT TYPE OF FOOD AND CALORIES. If you've been counting 1200 now under your current conditions and you've been losing at a rate commensurate to a 1000 Cal a day deficit, eat 1700 of the current type of calories and cut that deficit in half.

WHAT IS THE WORSE THAT CAN HAPPEN? You will either lose slower while feeling better (mission accomplished), or you will NOT lose while feeling better (mission will need to be tweaked in a few weeks in order to get you back into losing without feeling like **kitten**).

I mean, honestly, you can always go back to eating 1200 and feeling rubbish if this eating a bit more and feeling better backfires... right?

Missed this the first time. Thank you for this
  • Amani800
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    Have you considered upper your calorie intake and exercising to burn more calories? I wear a fitbit and days that I am really active I can burn over 3,300 calories, on days where I am lazy and just work I can burn as little at 1,700 calories. That's 1,600 difference in a day.

While I dont don't have time to burn that many extra calories every day, even having 2 or 3 really active days a week helps (these days for me consist of hiking 5+ miles while baby wearing plus rock climbing for around 3 hours). Of note, I am 5'5 140 lbs.

Thank you. I was wondering if this would help
  • Amani800
    Options
    fcanad wrote: »
    To the original question, how is your salt and potassium? Are you tracking (and meeting!) those daily goals?

I hadn't been tracking these but I've had a quick look and it looks like I haven't been meeting them!
  • Amani800
    Options
    Again, I never had depression. And the meds didn't make me less anxious, hence one of the reasons I stopped taking them