What do you think about Trek's new helmet?

Options
They're been running ads about how their new mystery product - unveiled today to be a helmet - will change cycling forever.

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty cool to me. Pair this with the ANGi from Specialized and you have a nice setup for protecting your noggin and staying as safe as possible.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Well, I don't cycle often, and when I do, I don't wear a helmet, so don't think cycling will change much for me! lol

I don't think I know a single person who does some degree of cycling that hasn't crashed at least once. Some are seemingly the most ridiculous and low-speed crashes but still cause injury. Many people have been hit by vehicles. This seems like such a silly risk to take when a helmet is so cheap and easy.
    They're been running ads about how their new mystery product - unveiled today to be a helmet - will change cycling forever.

It looks cool and if my husband were still going out several times a week I might consider getting him one. Not worth the price for either of us right now though with as little riding as we have been doing.
  • Loonie2016
    Loonie2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looks promising...I'll get one as soon as my MIIPS one expires in about 2 years I think.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting! I wonder if they could use this type of technology in football helmets to prevent CTE from head trauma or is that a whole different kind of impact?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Well, I don't cycle often, and when I do, I don't wear a helmet, so don't think cycling will change much for me! lol

Ooo - please get at least a basic one: Cheap insurance! Even off-road paved-trail cycling can involve crashes (hitting an unexpected slippery or gravel patch, for example). I only cycle a few times a year, and I won't go out without mine.

If that's not motivating, consider that when you, an adult, don't wear a helmet, you're triggering little kids who didn't want to wear theirs because it looks geeky, but see you without one, to whine at their parents "why do I have to wear a helmet if grown-ups don't" and maybe feel justified to take theirs off as soon as they get out of parents' sight, because it makes them feel grown up. Ugh.

I feel like crashing is more likely off the pavement. It's nice not to have cars zipping by, but like you said about gravel, sand patches, wet grass ... and off pavement is just naturally more fun, so people maybe push it a little more.

The reason I'm posting this is because people don't always realize the risks they're taking. All of us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Looks cool...I'll have to look into it when it comes time to replace my current helmet or the next time I take a spill and crack it.

I cracked a helmet years ago when I was training for my first century. I was coming down a small slope and into a turn and I didn't notice the my front tire had lost some air and the rubber came off the rim and I got tossed over the handlebars and whacked my head pretty good and cracked the helmet. I also sustained rotary cuff sprains in both shoulders. As a result I couldn't complete my full training but was still able to do the 1/2 century.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I think it's really neat looking, price wise it's ok. My current LG helmet was about same price and it's few years old now, so food for thought. Thanks. Although i would have liked to see more reflective points on it, is it there and i missed it? Plus, an integrated light would have been nice too, imo. Did anyone tried it in person yet?
  • Whatpatience
    Whatpatience Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If Treks claims are true this is a nice improvement over mips. I'd love to see some independent corroboration though, right now we only have Treks word for it.

P.S Helmets do not degrade due to age so I wouldn't worry about that. Get a new one if it gets damaged or if it's a feature/safety upgrade.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If Treks claims are true this is a nice improvement over mips. I'd love to see some independent corroboration though, right now we only have Treks word for it.

P.S Helmets do not degrade due to age so I wouldn't worry about that. Get a new one if it gets damaged or if it's a feature/safety upgrade.

Yeah, lol. I know. It's that sales pitch, when they want you to spend more money because "every three years you need to get a new one".
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    @poisonesse
    I was taken out by a dopey/blind/distracted car driver just half a mile from home. It was good luck that me and the bike went over the car rather than under it. Three point landing on hands and head left my cycling helmet crushed right over my temple - I didn't LOL as the damage was quite shocking.
    Don't believe I would have walked away from a huge impact with just minor injuries and a headache without the helmet.
    It's your choice of course but food for thought perhaps?

I agree a helmet could lower risks.

I personally have run head on into cars that decided to half turn and blocked my route and also taken a couple passenger side mirrors off with my left shoulder and walked away just shaking my head at the driver(s) cowardly to scared to check on my well being. Never wore a helmet on a bike or motorcycle and I'm no worse. Perhaps its okay or not okay.

As someone who lost her parent to a motorcycle crash when she was young, I can tell you it's not okay and it won't be for them if they lose you. Wear a helmet.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Certain plastics get brittle with lots of UV.
    But my helmet is 9 or 10 years old - it's my replacement for the broken one above ;)