Things you wish you knew when you first started keto

Options
I started my keto diet this week along with my CICO tracking. For those of you on the keto diet, what are some of the things you wish you knew when you started or learned along the way?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never done keto, but I'll suggest you consider asking your question in the low carb group. You might find more folks doing keto there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,096 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have been more prepared food wise....this time around I have several keto cookbooks ...keto snacks etc.
  • nunapie2013
    nunapie2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that an avocado has twelveeeee carbs. I’ve been below 50g of carbs since I started and a darn avocado put me at 62g today. I’m new to the Keto diet
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,096 Member
    Options
    Avocado should have 3 or 4 carbs...check your entry in your food log
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just because the diet is high fat doesn't mean you should eat more fat just because you can. So focus on restricting carbs and get adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg) and let fall in its place. And lots of salt.

And its also possible your body just may not respond well to the diet. Mine doesn't. I need more carbs.
  • Ilxu
    Ilxu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that an avocado has twelveeeee carbs. I’ve been below 50g of carbs since I started and a darn avocado put me at 62g today. I’m new to the Keto diet

Don’t worry about that. I’ve done quite some research on keto and have been on it 3 weeks. Avocados are the best option on keto. Don’t forget that the goal is to count net carbs and not total carbs cause fiber doesn’t count into energy resource which avocado is. 2gr of carbs and 10gr of fiber.

• Ilxu
    Ilxu Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    One of the most important things in keto is not to forget your other macro and micro nutrients besides carbs. I feel great, have lost weight and sleep better but...I have a stomach pain plus mostly constipated. My cholesterol levels have also gone dangerously up which can lead to bowel issues and heart disease. Keto is a medical diet and has to be highly monitored by its performer. Which means you have to remember to take supplements, eat foods that are high in fiber like almonds, avocados, chia, broccoli, raspberries etc and cut down on protein cause we tend to replace carbs with protein making it harder to lose weight without a have a healthy result. Protein overeating hinders keto fat processing and slows down getting to ketosis. Cutting protein will also assure you have less than dangerous levels of saturated fat and cholesterol.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In the past I have done keto and did lose weight. The reason that I am focusing on counting calories this time is that I like the variety. I had a hard time sticking to it because I felt my choices were limited. My advice for Keto is to plan a variety of low carb meals. There are lot's of sites to get recipes from.
  • Jdodok
    Jdodok Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MAke sure you are drinking enough water and watch for hidden sugars in the you are eating. Make sure you are tracking your macros accurately.

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

For a cup (146g) of avocado there are 12g of carbs and 10g of those are fiber. I wouldn't sweat it.

I focus on 30g NET carbs and have never had issues staying in ketosis
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So interesting!!!!
  • rfajitas12345
    rfajitas12345 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    There are two groups you should join the "keto" group and "low carb" there are a lot of us who will chime in and advise you. But as said above, you are asking in the wrong place.

Where is the keto group?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    There are two groups you should join the "keto" group and "low carb" there are a lot of us who will chime in and advise you. But as said above, you are asking in the wrong place.

Where is the keto group?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ilxu wrote: »

Don’t worry about that. I’ve done quite some research on keto and have been on it 3 weeks. Avocados are the best option on keto. Don’t forget that the goal is to count net carbs and not total carbs cause fiber doesn’t count into energy resource which avocado is. 2gr of carbs and 10gr of fiber.

There are two types of fiber -- soluble and insoluble. While it's true that our bodies can't get energy from insoluble fiber, soluble fiber is broken down into a gel during digestion and our body does extract energy from it in the intestine. Avocado contains both types of fiber.