How often do u workout?

Options

Replies

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just getting back into the swing of things after having a baby 4 weeks ago.
    Goal is 3 lifting sessions per week followed by short cardio. And 1 full cardio session.
    Hope to get back to 6-7 days in next few months once he’s actually sleeping 😴
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym 3 days a week, run 4 or 5x a week, yoga once a week. Saturday is generally my only rest day but I'll often go for a hike.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    5 days lifting + 1 or 2 days cardio/conditioning/GPP, so 6 or 7 days/week depending.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    5x per week.
  • jcgadfly
    jcgadfly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lift three times a week, cardio 2-3 times a week
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I run 4 to 5 x a week. 1 or 2 days XT. Alternate upper, lower, and core strength training depending on run/XT. If I have a long run, I do core stuff. Speed work is usually upper body, tempo/shake outs and xt are for leg days
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Pole: 2-4x a week. Depending on my work schedule.
    Cardio or strength training: 5-7x a week. Depending on my work schedule. I need to find a set strength training program, but right now I do whatever my friend says we're doing that day. Her mom was a professional body builder, so I trust her judgement.
  • no1elseislikeme
    no1elseislikeme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Daily. I do a low impact mix of Pilates, yoga and body weight exercises. I work out roughly an hour and twenty minutes.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do something every day.
    Monday : 30min PT (usually ease me in to the week), tabata and barbell, recovery run. (Was doing shoulders but marathon training is taking priority)
    Tuesday : 1-3 mile run, 30min PT, zumba (see this more as fun than exercise), insanity and boxercise
    Wednesday : 30min PT (sprint training), zumba (was also doing an interval and ab workout but that's on back burner till after marathons)
    Thursday: 1-3 mile run, bench/chest, 30min PT (usually quite hardcore cardio), circuits.
    Friday: 30min PT (been doing deep muscle work), 30 min hill intervals, tabata, total body conditioning
    Saturday : 2-3mile run, bootcamp
    Sunday : long run, anything between 6 and 26 miles depending on where I am in training or which race I'm doing. (After April this will max at 13.1)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,072 Member
    Options
    I need to start being more active! That’s great!

That's an excellent plan, but for those new to fitness, increasing gradually is often a good idea.

Exercise should be fun and energizing, not "a chore" and fatiguing.

Mixing up different activities (strength, cardiovascular, stretching, etc.) is also a good strategy, as long as you find it fun, for more well-rounded fitness.

Be aware that when you ask "what's your exercise routine" on MFP, the folks who are proud of their routine and excited about it are more likely to reply, so the answers will skew toward the active side, (Nothing wrong with that, and it can be motivating, but it's something to be aware of.)

I normally go to spin class twice a week, row 4 times a week in on-water season (a little less in rowing machine season because it's not as fun), and do some other random active things (recreational cycling, yoga/stretch, strength training, etc.).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    5-7 days a week depending on how I feel. On Tue/Thur I have double days where I trail run before work and go to Jazzercize in the evening. The other days I lift 2-3 days and do heavy bag boxing workouts 1-2 days. Sometimes I split lifting then box after. Sometimes I add an extra run on Saturday’s - basically I’m very flexible with my training right now as long as I always make my Jazzercize classes and my StrongLifts women’s group Sundays.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lift weights about 4x a week in a split, sometimes 5, but I try to do 1 thing active on other days.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and my normal workout schedule is:

Monday: 3 mile run in morning; 45-60 minutes strength in afternoon
    Tuesday: 45-60 minutes strength in morning
    Wednesday: 3 mile run in morning
    Thursday: 3 mile run in morning; 45-60 minutes strength in afternoon
    Friday: 45-60 minutes strength in morning
    Saturday: Long run in the morning (anywhere from 5-12 miles)
    Sunday: Active rest day (I always shoot for getting at least 10,000 steps, so there's usually a walk involved)

I also try to hit up a Zumba class I really like one evening every-so-often.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Every day for 45 to 120 minutes
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great dedication to working out/exercising. Congrats everyone. For me it depends on my goal. I usually switch between a bulk and cut. During a bulk I incorporate strength training 5-6 days a week with 15-20 min of HIIT cardio every day. During a cut strength training is 4 days a week with 2 cardio sessions per day of at least 30 min each time. Cardio may include kickboxing, cycling, running, rowing or the max trainer air bike.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I aim for 4 - 5 days a week. Wednesday and Friday are generally my rest days and I do 20 minutes of gentle yoga those days
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I go three times a week or 4 at the most. Just curious how often others go.

I try to workout at least 3 days a week and 4 when possible. I do a combination of lifting weights and body exercises with occasional ab exercises added in once in a while and then cardio. Sometimes I will do a couple minutes of jump rope and then use the elliptical and other times I just use the elliptical for my cardio and I do anywhere between 25-35 minutes on the elliptical. Days that I feel tired or out of it and not in the mood I try to do at least something and if I don’t manage to do a workout then I will try to go for at least a 30-45 minute walk. I try to have 2 days a week off with little to no workout (walk is fine) to recover and not over do things.

One side note is that I do almost all of this stuff at home and workout in my basement. I have an elliptical and a set of weights. With the right mind set and amount of exercise you can infact get results without going to the gym. I have learned it is important to stick to a routine and try to do it every week whenever possible. My next goal is to add some exercises to my workout and change it a little bit as I have been doing the same basic exercises for the past few week which has been good, but it also might be good to add something new like a new exercise to my workout. Also, I tend to workout anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half at a time nothing crazy. It isn’t perfect I know, but its been a great starting point for me the past several weeks.

• anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I aim for something every day:
    Alternate walking one morning, jogging the next, 30-40 minutes on weekdays, longer on weekends. If the weather's bad I'll do the treadmill at the gym instead and often throw in a little time on the elliptical or rowing machine while I'm there. Once in awhile I sub a morning spin class for a walk or jog. Strength training about 20 minutes 2-4 x/week. When I'm not too busy, yoga/Pilates a couple evenings/week (but evenings are harder for me). During weekday lunchtimes I often take 10-15 min to walk outside or climb up and down the stairs.

When I get super busy I try to maintain by cutting back to strength 2x/week, morning cardio 3x/week, and lunchtime stair climbs 2-3x/week.
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    A funny thing happened. I started getting up early to work on mobility and rehab for shoulder surgery. 60 lbs overweight btw at that time. That turned into an hour, going from yoga and stretching to weights and rings before work. My goal or "carrot" for all this work was I wanted to join a boxing or Muay Thai gym. So now I've joined the gym, which is three nights per week of very hard workouts, and since the morning habit is etched into my sleeping patterns I still get up for that and do two strength days and three cardio days. So I'm getting a lot of exercise, but it just sorta happened to me.
    I think if you force a morning routine, it will become natural soon enough and you'll be adding 5-7 workouts to each week without giving up your evenings.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Rowing three days a week and it looks like I'll be introducing weights two to three days a week as well (one of those days being the same day as rowing. Experience has shown that I need a minimum of one rest day, preferably two.