Phentermine - the good, bad and the ugly

Options
13»

Replies

• Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been on it two months. No negative side effects at all. 15mg every morning. Staying around 1300 calories a day. Down 20 pounds
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I work in the medical field and have seen bad results with this drug. It is essentially legalized meth.

I mean, isn't Adderall as well? Actually, Phentermine isn't even on this list:
    https://amphetamines.com/types/legal/what-prescription-drugs-qualify-as-amphetamines/

Yes. All the stimulants are potentially harmful. There have been studies showing damage to the heart, heart failure and valve problems with using these. A young woman came in the ER in cardiopulmonary arrest years ago. She was otherwise healthy. The only thing she was taking was phentermine to lose the baby weight. So sad. Ever since then I try to warn people.

This is true, but I would consider that an exception. All drugs come with risks. Thousands, probably millions of people, even children are on a daily basis. They would not be so widely used if they were as risky as using methamphetamines. People are not dropping from cardiopulmonary arrest from taking all these drugs.

People hate on phentermine quite a bit because weight loss is considered a less than worthy reason to risk it. But some people are prescribed it for other weight-related health issues. My husband had sleep apnea.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field and have seen bad results with this drug. It is essentially legalized meth.

I mean, isn't Adderall as well? Actually, Phentermine isn't even on this list:
    https://amphetamines.com/types/legal/what-prescription-drugs-qualify-as-amphetamines/

Yes. All the stimulants are potentially harmful. There have been studies showing damage to the heart, heart failure and valve problems with using these. A young woman came in the ER in cardiopulmonary arrest years ago. She was otherwise healthy. The only thing she was taking was phentermine to lose the baby weight. So sad. Ever since then I try to warn people.

This is true, but I would consider that an exception. All drugs come with risks. Thousands, probably millions of people, even children are on a daily basis. They would not be so widely used if they were as risky as using methamphetamines. People are not dropping from cardiopulmonary arrest from taking all these drugs.

People hate on phentermine quite a bit because weight loss is considered a less than worthy reason to risk it. But some people are prescribed it for other weight-related health issues. My husband had sleep apnea.

I suppose your doctor will weigh the risks and benefits before prescribing any drug. For some people, they are so dangerously overweight that this medication is worth the potential side effects. A lot of people taking this medication are not though and thats scary to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Oh, yeah, I felt soooooooooo good when I was taking phen/fen.

I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh, yeah, I felt soooooooooo good when I was taking phen/fen.

I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Humans develop tolerance to stimulants as we also develop tolerance to other types of drugs like alcohol, dope, diazepam (valium), anti-depressants etc. All drugs have side effects.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have not had any bad side effects with phentermine. The first time I tried it, I had a few...I NEVER wanted to eat (like, for days at a time I wouldn't), couldn't sleep, TOO much energy. But I am trying it again but this time I took a class that educated me on the proper way to take it and I really like it this time around. It is very important you understand how to take the medication properly.