Who else can’t make chicken to save your life?

13»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    Cook it low and slow Baby!

First I was going to poo poo this response because outside of cooking chicken sous vide or with a smoker, I'm not a chicken in something like a slow cooker. Then I remembered this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for slow-and-low dry rub oven chicken. I haven't made it in years, but it's really good.

Note - I never found a need to brine the chicken and after trying to make the sauce a few times, it's not worth it. It's way too salty and quite frankly I never felt the chicken needed it.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Breast - Pound flat and pan fry or you could grill if you like, but a touch of oil is best. Or bake whole breats covered in oven at 300 degrees and that might take an hour or more.

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    Boneless skinless makes me sorta sad.

I knew someone once who BOILED chicken breasts. That made me shudder.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with this. I simmer chicken breasts on the stove top all the time. Then shred the meat with a fork to use in soups or baked Mexican dishes. It also gives me the chicken stock I need for soups without all the added salt from canned stocks.

Keyword there is ‘simmer’ (vs boil)... immersion techniques are totally temp dependent:)

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    Boneless skinless makes me sorta sad.

I knew someone once who BOILED chicken breasts. That made me shudder.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with this. I simmer chicken breasts on the stove top all the time. Then shred the meat with a fork to use in soups or baked Mexican dishes. It also gives me the chicken stock I need for soups without all the added salt from canned stocks.

Keyword there is ‘simmer’ (vs boil)... immersion techniques are totally temp dependent:)

Quoted for truth.
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    hroderick wrote: »
    Hammer on a cutting board in bottom of sink to catch splatters.

I use this method for splatter: loosely wrap in saran wrap to allow the chicken breast to expand as it flattens. Cover that with wax paper. You can't wail on it. Use short, medium strikes. Place a towel or strong cutting board beneath.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    If you have a Sams membership you can buy like four rotisserie chickens at a time and freeze them. They reheat so good and are only about five dollars a chicken already cooked! I use them for all kinds of things.
  • MoonPhoenix8
    MoonPhoenix8 Posts: 5 Member
    My go-to for chicken recipes is my Crock-Pot. I just made salsa verde chicken last night (similar to this recipe) and it's one of the easiest ways (for me) to make chicken that is flavorful and juicy. I shredded the chicken breasts once they were done and paired it with a few different meal prep sides. Takes 4 hours on the High setting--that's 4 hours of DOING NOTHING while the Crock-Pot works its magic to make an amazing dish that takes 5 minutes of prep. Might be a good option for you to try =)
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    I find chicken tenderloins much easier to not overcook than full breasts - some of the chicken breasts at the store are super thick behemoths on one end but then the other end of them is really thin - it is hard not to just murder those trying to get the thick part done. The advice about pounding them out can help with this, but I also often just spend the little bit extra per pound to get chicken tenderloins instead and find they cook faster and don't dry out as easily (also they are more evenly sized so easier to cook).

Other thing I found is that if I spring for a little higher quality chicken breasts (e.g. ones that are "air chilled" etc instead of the ones injected with a ton of saltwater) they tend to also stay moist better and be harder to accidentally overcook/have come out super dry. I don't always upgrade to those - depends on how I'm going to cook it (e.g. I'm not going to pay extra when I'm just making shredded taco meat or slow cooking, but I might if I'm making something nicer like chicken saltimbocca)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited March 2019
    Just made pineapple chicken last night and it was great - sautéed seasoned 1.25 # chicken breast (cut into cubes) for about 6 min in 2 tsp of oil, added a red bell pepper chopped similar size & 1 c of pineapple chunks and sautéed for 4 more min. Meanwhile (back at the ranch lol) I mixed .75 c pineapple juice, .33 c hoisin sauce. .25 c low sodium soy sauce, .5 c chicken broth, .5 tsp ground ginger (because I somehow was out of fresh ginger) and added that to simmer a minute or two. Then mixed 2 tsp of cornstarch with a little water and added that. Took under 30 minutes including the chopping. Next time I make it, I'll add a tbsp or so of vinegar for the sweet/sour taste. The original recipe included brown sugar but I am not a fan of super sweet. I measured it as 4 servings @ 335 calories/7 g fat, 32 g carb (incl 4 g fiber), 37 g protein.

Edited to add: good kitchen scissors are awesome when it comes to chicken - so easy to cut up chicken breasts as well as spatchcock.
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    I slice mine in half so it's thin, cover with a tablespoon of sandwich spread and sprinkle with garlic salt (sometimes I add a little parmesan too). In to my convection oven while it preheats to 200°c, then another 6 min at 200°c (total time around 15 min). Fully cooked, yet moist and tender, and only around 200 calories. A non-stick baking sheet allows me to get away with not using any oil.
  • AZCattitude
    AZCattitude Posts: 6 Member
    We recently purchased a Ninja Foodi and are liking the pressure cook the broil method. Cooking time depends on size of the chicken piece. With really thick pieces we like them sliced in half like a butterflied steak.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    I tend to buy 5-6 birds when they are on sale for $.60/lb, and then spatchcock them (cut out the spine) and cut off the big lumps of fat around the *kitten* end. Fat is delicious, but these are just flaps of skin that won't cook well. I then spice rub them over and under the skin with whatever rub strikes my fancy, though I tend to go with a BBQ rub. If I have the time, I'll dry brine with Serious Eats' dry brine in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, but if you don't they still turn out damn tasty. They go in the electric smoker at 250°F/125°C with apple or cherry wood chips, for about 30 minutes/lb until the breast reads 150. They always come out amazingly juicy and delicious. You can also grill them over indirect heat, or bake in the oven, but the key here is lower and slower.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited June 2019
    I cook boneless skinless chicken thighs, almost exclusively.

Preheat convection oven to 400.

Lay thighs flat in baking dish (I usually cook 4 at a time). Rub olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle one side with kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, onion salt, garlic powder and paprika. Flip and season other side.

Bake for 15 minutes. Delicious!
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Made this one last night: baked chicken parmesan
    Take 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts and pound them out between a couple sheets of plastic wrap to somewhere between 1/4-1/2" thick (helps them cook more evenly, and faster.
    Blot the chicken with paper towels then season with salt and pepper.
    Make a mixture of an egg and a tbsp of flour in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish mix 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1.5 oz of grated parmesan cheese, and italian seasonings like oregano and garlic powder.
    Dredge each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture, pressing to get it to stick.
    Spray each one with a little cooking spray and set on a baking rack set into a sheet pan.
    Bake at 400F until internal temp is at least 165F with a meat thermometer, about 12-15 mins (depending on thickness, may take longer - pounding it out helps it cook fast)

This came out to around 280 calories for 4oz serving. I served with a small portion of angel hair pasta, marinara sauce, and some broccoli with red pepper flakes and garlic for around 500 calories total meal.