Eggs

Options
All the discission this past two weeks and the studies to support 2 eggs max per day has me bummed! I LOVE eggs! And then today my Bicycling Magazine says 1 egg per day! I'm ready to go into a deep depression! 😉

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    From NHS.uk:

"There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. Eggs can be enjoyed as part of a healthy, balanced diet, but it's best to cook them without adding salt or fat."

You will prise my eggs from my cold dead hands. Not sure if there is a health scare where you are but in the UK you can binge on eggs if you want. (Disclaimer for this site: Please ensure your binge is within your calorie limit :D)

That may be very well true but the most current research which came out this week is saying not to eat more than 1 a day ...... again.

Who knows what to believe with eggs anymore?
  • Lillymoo01
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I wonder where you are finding your information. Eggs are highly nutritious, like milk they contain everything required to sustain a living being, after all that is what fertilised eggs will be. Most of the information I read years ago was about cholesterol levels, its now been realised how fundamental cholesterol is to our lives and if the body does not have enough cholesterol it is capable of making up the requirements. I realise there can be issues within the endocrine system which can cause excess to be made but those conditions are less frequent. As long as the number of eggs you consume falls within the calorific/dietary component healthy balance for protein, fats, minerals etc, its all to the good.

From here...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/03/15/eggs-are-bad-again-new-study-raises-cholesterol-questions/80qdC0BWkeWdlnxcGZrcHJ/story.html

which is based on this study
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2728487
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Who knows what to believe with eggs anymore?
    Indeed!! Still, I eat 2 eggs a day, and my latest health check had my cholesterol etc in the normal range, so until they make them illegal I'll keep eating 'em.

I concur!
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I try to eat 2 every other day. I like their protein status and my cholesterol has always been good. I say if eggs are within your goals then just eat in moderation.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat two for breakfast every morning and I’m certainly healthier than when I didn’t. Official position on eggs changes so often and so frequently that I’ll just keep eating them my way unless the doctor says that I have an issue that means I can’t.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I wonder where you are finding your information. Eggs are highly nutritious, like milk they contain everything required to sustain a living being, after all that is what fertilised eggs will be. Most of the information I read years ago was about cholesterol levels, its now been realised how fundamental cholesterol is to our lives and if the body does not have enough cholesterol it is capable of making up the requirements. I realise there can be issues within the endocrine system which can cause excess to be made but those conditions are less frequent. As long as the number of eggs you consume falls within the calorific/dietary component healthy balance for protein, fats, minerals etc, its all to the good.

It's been all over the news the past few days, about how eggs may in fact not be that great for you. There's a thread going on in the Debate section about it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There was one recent study that showed a possible link in egg consumption and increased mortality. It was far from definitive though, and there has been prior research that contradicted this. So while it was interesting and worthy of further study, there was no need to go crazy in regards to eggs based off of it.

Unfortunately, the media was like "OMG, eggs will kill youz nows," without any sort of nuance or proper context. That is why everyone is overreacting to it.

Diet research is notoriously difficult, since it is observational, which makes it hard to pin down specific causes. For instance, did eggs cause an increase in mortality, or did people who ate eggs also happen to engage in other activities that caused this mortality increase, so the like was correlated, but not causative? That's why a lot of times it can seem like studies have conflicting conclusions.

For me personally, it would take a lot more than that one study to cause me to give up eggs. And it's important to remember, that everything in life is about opportunity cost. Even if eggs do have some sort of negative health effect associated with them, I know personally that if I wasn't eating them, I would be probably eating something that was "worse" for me, at the very least in the sense that these things had more calories and will slow my weight loss. Obesity is the one thing we are sure of that causes a whole bunch of health and mortality issues.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    PS - longest lived woman ever ate 3 eggs a day. Died at 117
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    PS - longest lived woman ever ate 3 eggs a day. Died at 117

My Grandpa ate a lot of eggs, especially as he became quite elderly and his dentures didn't fit as well. He lived in his own home until the last 2 weeks and passed away at age 96.
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I interpreted the report as saying be careful if you are concerned about cholesterol. Some people are and some are not - depends on overall eating habits and genetics. I do have to watch it but eat only 4 eggs a week.
    Looking at personal examples such as a 117 year old woman is not applicable. You need to know your own medical history and heredity also.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Ok, but even the abstract says that the association was no longer significant once adjusted for total cholesterol.

So the study found that people who eat more cholesterol had more cardiac events.

I guess whether it is relevant is whether this was independent of other risk factors, and how significant it was once the other risk factors such as lack of exercise and obesity were equalized.

And by significant here I don't mean statistically significant but rather along the lines of an extra 1 in 1000 people were affected solely because they consumed cholesterol in excess of ????