Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• marcusjgrose
    marcusjgrose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 13 a day for a couple of years,I'm still alive.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I've been eating 13 a day for a couple of years,I'm still alive.

I like eggs.
    I enjoy a fairly high TDEE compared to many people on this site.
    I don't like eggs enough to devote more than 1000 Calories a day to them.

So good luck with that :smiley:

As to the level of cholesterol which is significant for each of as as individuals, I found a discussion with a cardiac surgeon who had just performed a double by-pass on a relative who had NORMAL levels of blood cholesterol to be somewhat interesting: "it is not whether the level of cholesterol was too high in terms of population averages that matters, it is that for this individual that particular level of cholesterol was too high for her and enough to lead to blockages"

A second interesting point, which I already mentioned up-thread, is that even in the abstract the study in question mentions that once total cholesterol has been taken into account there was no finding of statistical significance when it came to whether the people had eaten more eggs. In other words, in my mind, their statistical finding was in terms of total dietary cholesterol.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Those studies are impressing on people moreover the importance of monitoring their cholesterol levels. As such, balance is key. For instance, this past week, I had 8 whole eggs scrambled for dinner. But I don't eat eggs every day of the week--maybe once, twice or none at all per week.
    This is why some people vary their diet with different sources of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals weekly so that they don't encounter problems of eating too much of any single type of food on a daily basis, which my land them in the trouble with their health.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

I'm hoping to see something that undercuts the analysis's conclusion. I eat a fair amount of eggs (I would say one to two eggs three to four times a week, and three eggs a couple of times a month), and not so much meat, so eggs and dairy are my major source of cholesterol. I just looked at my MFP report for cholesterol, and I've been under 300 mg dietary cholesterol only 29 of the past 90 days (plus 3 days over 1000 mg of cholesterol!). Since my serum cholesterol numbers come back in the OK to good range for the most part, I haven't worried about it. But with this direct connection between dietary cholesterol and mortality risk/CVD incidence, good serum cholesterol numbers apparently don't matter.

Still, this is a small percentage increased risk from the base risk. Around 6000 people of the nearly 30,000 had died at the (average) 17 year follow-up, or 20%. So if you have 300 mg of dietary cholesterol a day, you move from having a roughly 20% chance of dying in the next 17 years (from all causes -- average age of participant at start was 51 years) to a roughly 22% of dying during that time. I think I'm going to wait for more studies or analyses to confirm this before I worry about

Just realized I put the decimal point in the wrong place in that calculation. (too late to edit my post)

If you have 300 mg of dietary cholesterol a day, you move from having a roughly 20% chance of dying in the next 17 years (from all causes -- average age of participant at start was 51 years) to a roughly 20.2% of dying during that time, not 22%, as I said above.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What I find particularly disquieting about your analysis is that I apparently have at least a 20.2% chance of dying over the next 15 years! :disappointed:
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I eat three EVERY SINGLE DAY, and my cholesterol is in target range!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The country (if the US is meant) never actually went low fat.

I'm pro egg, though, often eat about 12 per week. I'd like the read the whole study, although the numbers identified above don't bother me, especially since I think it's hard to exclude other reasons for the correlation.