Depression and motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• Tera8966
    Tera8966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with anxiety and depression too. It seems to have gotten worse over the past few years I feel like life has been a bumpy ride and I struggle to focus on the good I tend to hyper focus on the bad and feel like everyday is painful weather I'm really stressed and anxious or come down from my hyper stress into a bad place of depression (I'm considering trying medicine but I am going to try tharapy first.) anyways I have been really heavy for the past 4 years and everytime I lose 10 or 20 or even 30 pounds I seem to gain it right back. This last year has been extremely hard and I haven't been able to lose any weight for over a year now I've actually gained 14lb. I've been in such a rut but want so badly to get back to a place of physical and mental health. Im hoping that writing in this page will help.
  • DeeLovers
    DeeLovers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found myself struggling with down days and crying spells lately too. Losing my ex to cancer, dad being diagnosed with cancer, mom being diagnosed with dementia, and becoming a sole caregiver all around the same time led to me gaining an extra 100 pounds. Now I am just starting to step back and realize that not being in the best health leaves me with less strength to look after the ones I love, and I need to do something about it. Even though there are many days where I just want to lay in bed and feel defeated, I am trying to push through to being a healthier me and I know that will help me to feel better mentally, emotionally, and physically. I believe we all can do it if we don't beat ourselves up, but continue to push forward. I have already found some encouragement in this board.
  • gonnadoityeah
    gonnadoityeah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    acuvic wrote: »
    Thank you for starting this group. I have struggled with depression for a long time and since I increased my meds I seemed to gain a lot of weight. I can’t blame it on the meds because I am an emotional eater where either food is what I use to deal with things or food is a punishment of sorts. I am not a part of any community and I am hoping to support and be encouraged as well with others who have experienced something similar. I am very excited to be here.

You are already working hard with overcoming this, and we are both happy and lucky to have you join our group!
    I think we can all agree we've used food for our own form of therapy or even punishment as you said and I'm really hoping we can all work together and change how we treat food and ourselves
  • gonnadoityeah
    gonnadoityeah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Daily reminder that a single donut won't make you fat, just like one salad wont make you skinny.

If you fall, work on getting back on track, and don't hate our resent yourself for your fumbles.

We are so much more than our mistakes.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffer from depression and anxiety and have most of my life. I'm turning 40 this year and I finally decided I needed to talk to my doctor. I too either starve or binge eat when I can't get my emotions under control! Not eating is just as frustrating as over eating for me!

I've also been working very hard on improving my mental health. Working on loving myself forgiving myself and trying to focus on positive talking and fight the negatives.

Anyone here that relates to me please feel free to add me. So we can support, motivate and be there for eachother. I have an open diary and I'm very open with my struggles and successes. I try to be uplifting, supportive and as real as possible!

Start weight 250 November 2018
    Currently weight 212
    Goal weight 140

Wishing all of you lots of sucess!
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I have EXTREME anxiety (I used to deal with depression/anxiety, but at the moment I feel I have overcome the depression for the most part and am dealing with anxiety) and am pretty open about it on my page. I started here in March 2014, lost 145 lbs, had two separate major surgeries in 2015-2016 (appendix and back) and gained it all back except maybe 1lb. I've been so hard on myself and definitely think my anxiety is (at least partly) correlated with my weight because before when I lost so much, I was on anti-anxiety meds and ended up off of all of them.

I started using CBD oil about a month ago and love it.
    Add me if you'd like!
    SW (2014): 336.8
    CW: 315.0
    GW: ~165 -- I'll know it when I get there.
  • ami_s
    ami_s Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice how much worse their depression is after high sugar/carb binge/overindulging? This weekend my eating was not on point and today I just feel so.... sad, anxious, overwhelmed, blah. Ugh! I know this will get better once I get back on track, but if feels so overpowering in the moment. Probably TMI, but who else would understand...
  • Avand17
    Avand17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My depression comes and goes, but for the last few weeks, it's been sticking. I can't stop eating (mostly anything with sugar) and can't bring myself to get a workout in, even when I have the time. I'm having a difficult time breaking out of this cycle, and it's taking it's toll.
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    PhoenixWithoutAshes1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been on anti-depressants for 10 years now. They have made life much better, but also make it more difficult to lose weight. Lately I have been very dedicated about going to the gym. It was tough at first, but once I started seeing results it got easier. It's a journey, not a race and you complete the journey, even if you stumble occasionally! Feel free to add me as a friend on here.
  • flolatina
    flolatina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression/anxiety for a very long time. Finally, I understand & accept that it is genetic & I will have to actively treat it for the rest of my life. I have mainly used traditional antidepressants but found that it doesn't quite do the job. I recently started taking CBD oil & have reduced my dosage by 5mg. Anybody here try it yet? What are your results? It doesn't hurt that I have started to exercise too. So, I'm back on the wagon, logging everything I eat, exercising, even seeing a personal trainer once a week. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this battle!
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Avand17 wrote: »
    My depression comes and goes, but for the last few weeks, it's been sticking. I can't stop eating (mostly anything with sugar) and can't bring myself to get a workout in, even when I have the time. I'm having a difficult time breaking out of this cycle, and it's taking it's toll.

The first step is always the hardest. Can you treat yourself to just one workout? I bet you can do it.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    flolatina wrote: »
    I recently started taking CBD oil & have reduced my dosage by 5mg. Anybody here try it yet? What are your results?

I know a few people with depression and anxiety and it has mostly helped them with anxiety, as well as sleep. I even know a senior dog who seems much happier when taking it.
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i have stage four cancer, severe cold urticaria whereby i break out in a rash when i'm in an environment that is under 22 c without a wind and have to carry an epipen 24/7. i lost my job as a baker and pastry chef because of my issues and am unemployable. i also live in the worst climate in canada !so yeah! i get the element of being depressed! but i carry on. everyone needs to pull resources in whatever capacity they can to make things work for their lifestyle.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Avand17 wrote: »

Is something triggering you to struggle more? I know what you mean. I have ups and downs. I'm always trying like hell to stay on the up side. I have positive quotes, try to give myself positive pep talks and surround myself in positive people and things. But when the beast gets ahold nothing seems to work. This last year I've had weeks of uncontrollable crying for weeks. Every bad thing I've done or has happened to me floods me sometimes. And i just can't seem to turn it off. So I'm finally trying meds. Which seem to be helping. I don't get stuck like before. If i cry i can stop. So I'm hopeful.
  • emas115
    emas115 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about everything you're going through, but know this is a safe place and we are all here to guide and motivate you :)

I too struggle with depression and I have started running. I've found it's really helping my mental state. I've also been reading this brilliant book called Jog On by Bella Mackie (who also suffers from depression and anxiety) and she writes about how running picked her up even on her darkest days. Here's a link if you fancied checking it out:

https://amazon.co.uk/Jog-How-Running-Saved-Life/dp/0008241724/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hopefully that links works so you can check it out!