how do you guys feel about public food diaries?

Options
me myself, i am not really comfortable with someone scrutinizing my intake and making comments on it. i've seen a lot of posts about people getting upset about things folks on their friendslist have said concerning their food diary and their friend would reply 'well you have it public so it's open to criticism'. do you guys have it public? if so have you ever been offended by anyone's remark? what about those who keep theirs private? what are you reasons? just trying to get perspective

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have mine open, but can't really recall people making comments, good or bad.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    me myself, i am not really comfortable with someone scrutinizing my intake and making comments on it. i've seen a lot of posts about people getting upset about things folks on their friendslist have said concerning their food diary and their friend would reply 'well you have it public so it's open to criticism'. do you guys have it public? if so have you ever been offended by anyone's remark? what about those who keep theirs private? what are you reasons? just trying to get perspective

Mine's open. I don't really care what others think.

When someone pays for my meals and makes them for me, I'll follow their comments.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have seen far too many treads about how someones food diaries are not good enough/wrong/not accurate/full of junk etc. I'm sorry but mind your own business! Mine remains PRIVATE and I'm past my goal weight (while eating a doughnut or two :laugh: )
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I've never had anyone criticize my diary, but if I did I'd just delete that person. No big deal. That said, sometimes my friends do rib me a bit when I make poor choices, but that's the whole reason I have it public. I want to be accountable to others on the days that I can't seem to hold myself accountable. There are ways to tell someone you think they made poor choices without being rude, and my friends seem to understand that quite well. :)

I do understand why some people want to keep theirs private, and a few of my friends have private food diaries. It doesn't bother me, but I also don't leave comments telling them "WTG!" when MFP says they were under goal if I can't see their diary, because for all I know they could be eating 300 calories a day and that would not be a good thing. It does affect the support I'm able to give to someone. But I'm also not going to give them grief over it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Mine is public and I like when others have theirs public too so I can get snack and meal ideas from friends. Especially those who have been successful. I wanna know what you're eating!!

I've never had anyone make a negative comment about my diary. Maybe occasionally tell me I "ate well today" or something along those lines but it's usually a WTG or nice job. Even if they said, "lay off the snickers bars", I wouldn't care. They would be right!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Mine is open...I have never had any negative remarks, unless you count try and drink more water as negative. I think most people are just here to help each other out and some comments may come out as mean even if they never intended it to be like that...I am guessing...and hoping. I am always open for help even if it means critique. I respect others that do not have their diary public as well...it is at the end of the day their choice and their business.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Normally I would be a very private person, however, for me, this website is all about encouragement. I had mine set to private but I swapped it to public because I would welcome a critique if someone had it to give. I am comfortable with what I'm doing in my own personal journey, but that isn't to say someone may have a suggestion for something that may help me.

I will admit I also like to see the journals of other people. Sometimes it gives me an idea for something I may like to try.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have mine public, for the most part they don't look inside the diary. One time i did have someone say something but that was when i had a negative calorie intake for the day
  • Robscofle
    Options
    I have my diary open to public. I don't have a problem with constructive criticism.

Regards
    Rob
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. It is another way to stay accountable. I undersand how comments could get criticized. Criticism is not a bad thing though. It will help you to stay on track. You may get some great advice from people on here.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yes. No. It's their decision. I lack creativity.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to public. It makes me stay more accountable when I know everyone can see it. I've never had anyone say anything mean or judgmental when I've had horrible eating days. Everyone has been supportive and can relate. Its a personal choice though, so you should do whats best for you :smile:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Having an open food diary helps sometimes....b/c people will ask opinions on intake, calories, fat, carbs etc.....but their diaries will be close....kinda hard to help at all if we don't know what one is eating.....

I've had mine open for months and no one ever made any comments....unless I asked for their opinion.....
  • sandynx820
    sandynx820 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love having them public. None of my friends have ever, ever insulted my choices, even when I go over! They are always supportive and give great comments......sometimes even make a few suggestions like: "I always drink a whole glass of water before each meal....that helps me get my water in....have you ever tried that"? And other times I get some really great lunch or snack ideas from seeing what successful people are eating! So to answer your question.....NOPE, never a problem.....but then, I choose my friends carefully too! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I appreciate the feedback.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Mine's open. I don't really care what others think.

When someone pays for my meals and makes them for me, I'll follow their comments.
    [/quote]

exactly!!!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Mine is also public and I don't typically get any critique unless I ask for it.
  • meg_sue
    meg_sue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay so first off, It isn't anyone's business what I put into my body. Second off, I don't care what anyone else thinks or says.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    Mine is public and I did it because it makes me think more about what I am going to eat because I know anyone can see it! LOL!. However I don't pay any attention to anything negative that is said (although I don't recall any of my friends saying anything to me about it). It is just another level of accountability. I think that you should do what feels most comfortable to you. That is the only way to use this site. Not everyone is doing things the same way and it is best to do what you feel and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for my firends to view. I hold myself accountable to record everything I eat. They may not be the best choices, but 90% of the time they are good ones. And, I have went over my calories once, and I asked for advice on where to cut... and used those suggestions and comments as a tool to move forward.