Can Someone Please Explain What the Big Deal Is......

Options
So I know that people flip their wigs over the fact that this is NOT a dating web site. I would really like someone to explain what the big deal is....seriously I want to know. I have a friend that met her husband on Pogo.com (yeah the game web site) and well that is certainly not a dating web site. You just don't know where you are going to meet someone that you click with...so it begs the question...what is the big damn deal about meeting someone on here?!?

Ok let the smartass comments and nonsense begin...but I still would like some of the naysayers to explain.

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    What I keep seeing is a lot of people very interested in other folk's business. In a rude way as opposed to offering encouragement and support.

You don't have to reply or talk to anyone here you don't want to. If there's something you don't like on the forum, don't read it. And maybe give a look into your control issues.

Shoot I dated a girl I met on a Lost fan forum. Is someone going to tell me I'm NOT allowed to date someone I met here? I'd really enjoy having a conversation with any person who thinks they control me, who I speak to, and what I do in my personal life to that degree.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    People need to get over it. Yes, this is a fitness site but it is also an online COMMUNITY! You are bound to make bonds with others. I have met several people on here that are now my facebook friends and a few that I even text/call. If I was closer to some of them, I would probably see them regularly.

I think compared to many other online communities, there are many good-hearted people here as well. Long live MFP relationships! :wink:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is the difference between flirting and perving...
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal.
    In fact I think it''s awesome, people with the same goals.

I met my significant other on a similar place.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Because people like to stick their noses into everyone elses *kitten*
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the "This is NOT a dating site!" crowd on this particular forum. When someone posts one of those threads about how they come here for help and support with diet and fitness, not dating, I think "Oh, good thing you're on the Chit-chat, fun, and games forum, then." I totally understand it on the other forums because those are clearly reserved for talk about specific weight-loss and fitness topics. This one isn't. And I hate to state the obvious, but no one is forced to read or participate in the dating/flirting threads. If you do so, it's because you're choosing to.
  • mermezee
    Options
    There is really no big deal. Like u said many ppl have control issues. And half the time they dont practice what they preach. forget what others say and worry about yourself. As long as ur being safe...because there are some dangerous ppl surfing the web.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Annoys the crap outta me too! Mfp can be whatever you want it to be for YOU! If haters don't like it, they can just stay off the forum and delete their friends. I happen to enjoy reading about what everyone is up to! I hear ppl say its not fb either... I say facewhat?? Mfp is wayyy better! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    How come nobody will hook up with me then?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on AIM, back when AIM was cool. If people want to find love or lust on here, more power to 'em.

I think people get upset because they feel like they're witnessing some kind of textual PDA (public displays of affection). Or maybe they paid a lot of attention in their job's sexual harassment seminars and they're sensitive to innuendo. Frankly, I haven't seen a whole lot of flirting around here, but maybe that's because I don't spend a lot of time on the forums. Maybe those folks should stop spending so much time here so it wouldn't bother them so much.
  • thegymbunny
    Options
    honestly this might be the best place to meet somebody, if you're trying to concentrate on a healthy diet and lifestyle.

thought speaking from experience LDR's suck, and they can come from these places.
  • MindyLynn77
    Options
    No matter what type of public "site" you visit, there WILL be DRAMA!!! lol.. thankg goodness for the "remove" and "delete" buttons!!! hahaha.... Soemtimes I read things that get to me... But usually I just blow it off... Ya cant fix stupid :) lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

thought speaking from experience LDR's suck, and they can come from these places.

What's an LDR?
  • thegymbunny
    Options

What's an LDR?

Long distance relationship
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Anger is the result of your beliefs and expectations of something colliding with reality and them not synchronising or being the same.

I suspect many people come here and on some level believe that the only thing they will find will be nutrition and fitness advice. Then when they come across flirting it causes a minor degree of upset - reality .v. expectations. People generally don't like being put into a negative emotional state and will speak out. In addition, some people don't like public displays of affection, being it flirting or kissing in public.

It doesn't make them bad people, just a different viewpoint. It doesn't make them interfering either. They are entitled to their opinion and should be able to express it. Whilst people should check which subforum a topic is posted within if you are using the Recent Posts tab sometimes it is easy to forget.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

You won`t give me your address! :angry:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    honestly this might be the best place to meet somebody, if you're trying to concentrate on a healthy diet and lifestyle.

While I fully support the right for anyone to date anyone they'd like, wherever they happen to meet them, the next friend of mine who moves to a different state for a person they met online is getting slapped. Seriously. It's an epidemic. You can't find someone online who lives in the same state at least?

So rarely does it end well...
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I have no room to talk. I met my husband on WoW (online mmo game) lol.......

I don't care if people try to flirt with eachother, it does kind of bother me or rather makes me uncomfortable when some people are being perverted wh@red out sk@nks in threads, but I don't b*tch about it or say anything. Whatever, to each their own.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

You won`t give me your address! :angry:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found at various forums is that any form of lounge or "fun" off the main topic areas are hated by a certain number of the purists that are there. *shrug*

Outside of that is the growing mentality over the last 20-30 years that all things that someone may not personally like must be made right for them.