What do you think about Trek's new helmet?

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    If Treks claims are true this is a nice improvement over mips. I'd love to see some independent corroboration though, right now we only have Treks word for it.

P.S Helmets do not degrade due to age so I wouldn't worry about that. Get a new one if it gets damaged or if it's a feature/safety upgrade.

Certain plastics get brittle with lots of UV.
    But my helmet is 9 or 10 years old - it's my replacement for the broken one above ;)

Yeah I used to keep my old helmet in my car (I would drive to where I wanted to ride) and a few weeks before I was going to get a new helmet I ended up crashing. I don't think I hit my head (and if I did I definitely didn't end up with a concussion). Needless to say, that was perhaps the best reason I've had so far for getting a new helmet. It was the first major crash I had had and I ended up fracturing my shoulder in the process.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I would assume that helmet plastic expires like carseat plastic. Lots of UV exposure. Although carseats are usually 5-10 years, not 3.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    They're been running ads about how their new mystery product - unveiled today to be a helmet - will change cycling forever.

Virginia Tech published their helmet tests on it: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Best helmet they've ever tested. HOWEVER a Ballista MIPS is better than all but 1 WaveCel helmet. Doesn't look substantially better than MIPS