UMAMI

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Super umami! This shiitake jerky is incredibly delicious! I got this at a special event and haven’t been able to find it anywhere else... why isn’t this more popular???

It looks like they sell it on their website https://farwestfungi.com/products/shiitake-jerky-pound?variant=15754356719714
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Deeply roasted mushrooms and tomatoes are my absolute favorites for umami,

That mushroom jerky looks amazing.

You have no idea! :p Since I can only find it at a yearly special event, I buy a few and ration this stuff to make it last! I’m really surprised vegetarians/vegans don’t have something similar that is popular since jerky is a great take-along snack!

There is vegan jerky. The kind I tried (Primal Strips) was awful (IMO). It's gluten based (I have nothing against gluten). Took one bite, threw out the rest. Yuck.

There are lots of take-along snacks, I don't need one that's disgusting. It was worse than Quest protein chips (which I think taste like salty sawdust). Ugh.

I'd try the mushroom jerky, if I ran across it, though. Until then, I'll keep carrying single-serve dry-roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas, shelf-stable mini-hummus, etc. as take-along snacks. No Primal Strips.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Super umami! This shiitake jerky is incredibly delicious! I got this at a special event and haven’t been able to find it anywhere else... why isn’t this more popular???

It looks like they sell it on their website https://farwestfungi.com/products/shiitake-jerky-pound?variant=15754356719714

Cool! Last time I checked their site it wasn’t for sale there but I guess they offer it now! You just made my day :blush: thanks!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

You have no idea! :p Since I can only find it at a yearly special event, I buy a few and ration this stuff to make it last! I’m really surprised vegetarians/vegans don’t have something similar that is popular since jerky is a great take-along snack!

Making it yourself might be a fun experiment. It cant possibly be all that difficult. You have a list of the ingredients, you just need a dehydrator and some mushrooms. Failing that, there are definitely recipes for mushroom jerky online (also your oven on lowest setting with door ajar works as a dehydrator).

Great idea! This could be fun! :smiley: or a disaster lol :wink:
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Making it yourself might be a fun experiment. It cant possibly be all that difficult. You have a list of the ingredients, you just need a dehydrator and some mushrooms. Failing that, there are definitely recipes for mushroom jerky online (also your oven on lowest setting with door ajar works as a dehydrator).

Great idea! This could be fun! :smiley: or a disaster lol :wink:

Worst outcome, you have salty dried mushrooms for soups and stews. Do it up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There is vegan jerky. The kind I tried (Primal Strips) was awful (IMO). It's gluten based (I have nothing against gluten). Took one bite, threw out the rest. Yuck.

There are lots of take-along snacks, I don't need one that's disgusting. It was worse than Quest protein chips (which I think taste like salty sawdust). Ugh.

I'd try the mushroom jerky, if I ran across it, though. Until then, I'll keep carrying single-serve dry-roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas, shelf-stable mini-hummus, etc. as take-along snacks. No Primal Strips.

If you are interested in trying another meatfree jerky, Louisville Vegan Jerky is the best I've ever had. Much, much, much better than Primal Strips (they taste to me like dog food smells).
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There's a umami seasoning at Trader Joe's. Next time I'm there I'll pick it up.

I really wanted to try it; but it was too high in sodium for me.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use Squid, which is widely available and cheap (locally; most Asian staples are way overpriced on online stores like Amazon), but see it was dead last on this taste test https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/ so will look for Red Boat next time I'm at Kam Man, as I have never seen that brand in a supermarket.

Cook's Illustrated also ranks Red Boat # 1 https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1625-fish-sauce
    I saw that same article but I've been using Squid brand for several years now. There's nothing wrong with it. It's not an overpowering flavor. It's not fishy. It's in the background and provides that umami flavor, especially in dishes that don't necessarily call for fish sauce. I've used it in salsa and in marinara sauce. Having said that, I did buy the Red Boat brand just to compare.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use Squid, which is widely available and cheap (locally; most Asian staples are way overpriced on online stores like Amazon), but see it was dead last on this taste test https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/ so will look for Red Boat next time I'm at Kam Man, as I have never seen that brand in a supermarket.

Cook's Illustrated also ranks Red Boat # 1 https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1625-fish-sauce
    I saw that same article but I've been using Squid brand for several years now. There's nothing wrong with it. It's not an overpowering flavor. It's not fishy. It's in the background and provides that umami flavor, especially in dishes that don't necessarily call for fish sauce. I've used it in salsa and in marinara sauce. Having said that, I did buy the Red Boat brand just to compare.

Let me know when you have the results of you Red Boat v Squid taste test!