Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Week 4 of RFL in the books and weight is down 9.3Lbs on the weekly average and 15.1Lbs from starting weight. Let off the gas Friday night and all day Saturday, letting myself have a couple drinks each night and killed some carbs throughout the day Saturday. But right back to it Sunday and I'm gonna be fairly strict for the next 2 weeks, maybe 3 if I can push it. Then 2 weeks off. Energy levels fluctuate but mostly tolerable and very little strength drop. Hunger isn't too bad but I've spaced my food out enough to combat it during the day. On a full EC stack but at this point I feel the effects have diminished to be hardly noticeable.
    Week 5 went pretty well. Skipped the free meal for the week. Had a couple drinks Friday evening but didn't indulge in any other extra calories. Sunday was my refeed and the carbs were as wonderful as I'd hoped. Weight is down another 2.2Lbs from last week on the weekly average. Overall, weekly average loss is 11.5Lbs, and, total weight loss is 16Lbs. Energy levels are still acceptable and hunger is always present but getting less noticeable. Lost a rep on a couple lifts yesterday but that's the first I've noticed any decrease in strength. Planning to grind out two more weeks then break for two weeks.

Week 6 was a bit of a drag. Loss slowed and found myself really craving food. Managed to fight it off until Saturday night when I had a couple drinks that led me to snacking a few hundred calories. So, the planned refeed for Sunday had to be quite strict and ended up just being kinda miserable instead of relieving and satisfying. Going to grind out the rest of this week and then take my 2 week break. Weekly average loss is 13.1Lbs and overall loss from starting weight is 18.5. I'd really hoped to hit 200Lbs on the scale before my break but not looking likely.
    Started slowly back to maintenance calories throughout Friday & Saturday; so nice to have plenty of energy and eat carbs and all that good stuff. To close out my first phase of 7 weeks on RFL, I'm down 15Lbs on my weekly average and 21Lbs overall. Expecting around 5Lbs to come back on as water weight normalizes. My goal was to hit 200 this cycle but I ended up at 203.

I'll take a two week break while running a normal lifting routine (and a hefty amount of adult beverages on the upcoming St Patty's Day :p ), followed by another 6 week RFL cycle to hopefully get and additional 10-15Lbs off. If I can get to 190Lbs I'll be ecstatic to start summer time.

It's been really nice eating a regular diet and getting solid workouts in. St Paddy's was a successful day full of adult beverages and tasty treats without any guilt and my weight has stayed steady so far. Settled in at around 208Lbs so water weight checks out at about 5Lbs. Maintenance calories are around 2,500 with macro targets of 30%P/45%C/25%F; I'm lifting 4 days per week during the break. Gonna stick to the break the rest of this week and return to RFL next Monday.

Seems a bit quiet in here given we're about 12 weeks from summer. Figured this thread would be busier :shrug:

Back on RFL protocols today. Calorie goal is 1200/day, P195/C30/F33; supplements are EC stack 3x/day, 9 fish oils, daily vitamin, Potassium, magnesium, vitamin D, and biotin.

The 2 week break was fantastic, but, I crept back up to nearly 210 so it's important that I jump back in full force and make sure I don't fall off the cliff. Certainly less motivation this time around but there's goals to be met so I'll have to be diligent.

Once I get through these next six weeks, I plan to post some progress photos; not that it's terribly impressive but hoping there's a noticeable enough difference to show off a bit.

Why 1200 cals/day? trying to lose 3-4lbs/week? for a male, it is suggested not to go below 1200 cals. if you get 195 protein, you are only leaving yourself 420 cals for fat and carbs, even if all 420 was from fat, that amount of fat is not enough, or are you not counting the fish oil?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    erickirb wrote: »
    Week 4 of RFL in the books and weight is down 9.3Lbs on the weekly average and 15.1Lbs from starting weight. Let off the gas Friday night and all day Saturday, letting myself have a couple drinks each night and killed some carbs throughout the day Saturday. But right back to it Sunday and I'm gonna be fairly strict for the next 2 weeks, maybe 3 if I can push it. Then 2 weeks off. Energy levels fluctuate but mostly tolerable and very little strength drop. Hunger isn't too bad but I've spaced my food out enough to combat it during the day. On a full EC stack but at this point I feel the effects have diminished to be hardly noticeable.
    Week 5 went pretty well. Skipped the free meal for the week. Had a couple drinks Friday evening but didn't indulge in any other extra calories. Sunday was my refeed and the carbs were as wonderful as I'd hoped. Weight is down another 2.2Lbs from last week on the weekly average. Overall, weekly average loss is 11.5Lbs, and, total weight loss is 16Lbs. Energy levels are still acceptable and hunger is always present but getting less noticeable. Lost a rep on a couple lifts yesterday but that's the first I've noticed any decrease in strength. Planning to grind out two more weeks then break for two weeks.

Week 6 was a bit of a drag. Loss slowed and found myself really craving food. Managed to fight it off until Saturday night when I had a couple drinks that led me to snacking a few hundred calories. So, the planned refeed for Sunday had to be quite strict and ended up just being kinda miserable instead of relieving and satisfying. Going to grind out the rest of this week and then take my 2 week break. Weekly average loss is 13.1Lbs and overall loss from starting weight is 18.5. I'd really hoped to hit 200Lbs on the scale before my break but not looking likely.
    Started slowly back to maintenance calories throughout Friday & Saturday; so nice to have plenty of energy and eat carbs and all that good stuff. To close out my first phase of 7 weeks on RFL, I'm down 15Lbs on my weekly average and 21Lbs overall. Expecting around 5Lbs to come back on as water weight normalizes. My goal was to hit 200 this cycle but I ended up at 203.

I'll take a two week break while running a normal lifting routine (and a hefty amount of adult beverages on the upcoming St Patty's Day :p ), followed by another 6 week RFL cycle to hopefully get and additional 10-15Lbs off. If I can get to 190Lbs I'll be ecstatic to start summer time.

It's been really nice eating a regular diet and getting solid workouts in. St Paddy's was a successful day full of adult beverages and tasty treats without any guilt and my weight has stayed steady so far. Settled in at around 208Lbs so water weight checks out at about 5Lbs. Maintenance calories are around 2,500 with macro targets of 30%P/45%C/25%F; I'm lifting 4 days per week during the break. Gonna stick to the break the rest of this week and return to RFL next Monday.

Seems a bit quiet in here given we're about 12 weeks from summer. Figured this thread would be busier :shrug:

Back on RFL protocols today. Calorie goal is 1200/day, P195/C30/F33; supplements are EC stack 3x/day, 9 fish oils, daily vitamin, Potassium, magnesium, vitamin D, and biotin.

The 2 week break was fantastic, but, I crept back up to nearly 210 so it's important that I jump back in full force and make sure I don't fall off the cliff. Certainly less motivation this time around but there's goals to be met so I'll have to be diligent.

Once I get through these next six weeks, I plan to post some progress photos; not that it's terribly impressive but hoping there's a noticeable enough difference to show off a bit.

Why 1200 cals/day? trying to lose 3-4lbs/week? for a male, it is suggested not to go below 1200 cals. if you get 195 protein, you are only leaving yourself 420 cals for fat and carbs, even if all 420 was from fat, that amount of fat is not enough, or are you not counting the fish oil?

It's a pretty standard number for the RFL protocol. And yes, generally fish oil is recommended.
  • erickirb
    psuLemon wrote: »

It's a pretty standard number for the RFL protocol. And yes, generally fish oil is recommended.

Okay, guess I stand corrected... though I have trouble cutting at 0.5lbs/week 1950 cals. Lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited March 2019

:o:# I can't do 1200 calories per day as a female. Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Okay, guess I stand corrected... though I have trouble cutting at 0.5lbs/week 1950 cals. Lol

Oh same here and I am female. I cannot even imagine :'(
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

Its a crash diet designed by Lyle McDonald. And depending how lean you are, drives how long you can sustain. A person like me (close to 18-20%) can run it for 2-6 weeks, but some refeeding in there and a cheat meal.

I ran it for a few weeks, and averaged around 1400 calories. It was brutal. But I believe I lost around 3 lbs the first week and another few lbs the second week (had a bit of cheating and a few higher calorie days).
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Yeah, not just going at it on my own lol. As Lemon mentioned, it's a very strictly defined diet program written by one of the best diet & recomp minds in the business. Quite miserable to run but effective. Goal is to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle/strength loss. Certainly not for everyone but I've found it to be useful for my needs and personal limitations (or weaknesses, haha).
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    How many calories in a deficit do you guys usually start out with? I know everyone is different but my last cut, I think started too quick and I lost a lot of size. I coming off a month or two of letting my diet go. Hit a platoe pretty hard and wanted remotivate myself. Any suggestions?
  • erickirb
    edited March 2019
    nab212 wrote: »
    How many calories in a deficit do you guys usually start out with? I know everyone is different but my last cut, I think started too quick and I lost a lot of size. I coming off a month or two of letting my diet go. Hit a platoe pretty hard and wanted remotivate myself. Any suggestions?

I usually cut at 10-15% below TDEE (300-350 cal deficit), for 5 days a week and usually eat maintenance or close to it on weekends. end up losing about 0.5lbs/week that way, some weeks a little less, others a little more. I have hunger and energy level issues if I reduce cals any more than that
  • sardelsa

I don't go too crazy, I like to lose 0.5-0.75lb per week (not sure what that works out to since I don't track).

I took 2 diet breaks during my cut which helped me, but to be honest my cut went on a little longer than it should have. But it was very comfortable and it all worked out fine body composition and strength wise.
  • nab212
    Appreciate the info. Do you guys intermediate fast any? Or carb cycle? My last cut, I intermediate fasted then carb backloaded after my workouts. Usually quite moderate on the carbs and also depended on what muscle groups I hit.
  • erickirb
    Appreciate the info. Do you guys intermediate fast any? Or carb cycle? My last cut, I intermediate fasted then carb backloaded after my workouts. Usually quite moderate on the carbs and also depended on what muscle groups I hit.

Nope, but the biggest difference in my diet from cutting to maintaining to bulking is almost all due to changes in carb intake, keeping fat and protein relatively stable under all 3 scenarios
  • sardelsa
    I don't IF, but I do a bit of carb cycling. For me it helps with adherence and workout performance. Maybe some positive hormonal effects too? Who knows. So I did two low calorie/carb days on my rest days or lighter cardio days. Three medium days and then two heavier refeeds on weekends. I was not very precise about it though, really lax, rough estimates, I didn't track (although I kept tabs on my protein levels somedays)
  • nab212
    What do your grams of carbs usually run during a cut? I'm thinking I was averaging 150 or less.
  • nab212
    Pretty much all complex carbs. Usually a brown rice or oats. I would eat a banana post workout with some rice cakes
  • sardelsa
    I didn't really track but did for a few days to get an idea then went with it, so my days look like this

2600- high day
    Carbs: 250-325g
    Fat: 75-95g
    Protein: 160 g

2100 - medium day
    Carbs: 195g
    Fat: 75g
    Protein: 160g

1700 - low day
    Carbs: 95g
    Fat: 75g
    Protein: 160g

Sometimes my low days would get even lower than that so I could have higher refeeds. I would get my protein in, minimum fats and very little carbs.
  • sardelsa
    And my carbs ranged from whole grain toast, jam, croutons, candy, a little fruit, pasta, rice, potatoes, tortillas, polenta, risotto, pancakes, lots of vegetables
  • nab212
    Yeah I take in a lot of greens. Some sweet potatoes. Of course, I'd allow myself some sweets here and there. So you carb cycle. Seem to work for you?
  • sardelsa
    Yepp definitely worked for me. Was the easiest and most comfortable cut so far, no real loss of strength, always felt great, not a lot of hunger or loss of energy, achieved my best physique yet. I mentioned this above but I also took several diet breaks (which I never did in the past) what a huge difference.
  • sardelsa
    Oh and the best part was I was able to live life. Eat out regularly, dinners at family's house, functions, vacations. No one around me (besides my husband) even knew I was on a cut.