Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @sardelsa wrote: »
    Thanks @Mr_Healthy_Habits :)

Hey, IF is great and not bogus if it helps keep you in a deficit! How do you get over the hunger outside your eating window... do you just get used to it and eventually your body stops getting hungry at those times, or do you just ignore it?

You're most welcome :smile:

It's like Bruce Lee once said... "If it helps you in a fight, you should learn to use it." lol

When I was really trying to just lose weight I would do empty stomach cardio nearly every morning and wouldn't normally eat until a few hours after I got to work. Then I would do everything I could to not eat after 6pm, which was by far the hardest part...

Skipping breakfast has always been easy for me because I like that flat empty morning feeling and for some reason it's just much easier for me to stay away from snacking... Probably because I have that goal of making it to a certain time...

However after I've eaten something, some days it's like the flood gates open and since I've already started eating its much harder not to graze...

Studies have shown that people who IF often have less hunger and feel more satisfied after eating according to Men's Health and I've noticed the same thing for me... I just stay busy and later I have more available calories to eat than I'm hungry for... Give it a few weeks to get use to it.

I'll share some progress photos in a while...

That's so funny because I can have breakfast (and not a high calorie or protein one or anything) and be able to go until 3pm, so sometimes I do what I call a day fast. If I don't have breakfast I get bad headaches and get nauseated.

Oh yes please do share your progress!!

Oohh I can see that, it does take some time to get use to it because usually that first week after going back on it, my workouts will make me light headed... But you do get use to it and I kinda like that fatigue feeling lol, although it's not for everyone either lol...

Usually when I want to start gaining again, I start eating a morning meal of some sort, usually Greek yogurt and when I want to cut, it's the first thing to go... Or so it went last time

Although my last bulk was too dirty, too much pumpkin pie lol... I'm still going to try to get down some more and not really sure if I will bulk again or not... Maybe when the next Avengers movie comes out I'll find the motivation again for gaining... Lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Wow @Mr_Healthy_Habits !! Seriously.. that is amazing. So inspiring!! :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow @Mr_Healthy_Habits !! Seriously.. that is amazing. So inspiring!! :)

Really appreciate you saying so, thanks bunches 💕...

Most of the time I don't know whether to cut or bulk but it's been a fun process...
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's a little discouraging to hear about others' cuts and "no loss of strength". My squat went from 320x5repsx3sets down to about 270x5 but I'm having some "illliac crest" pain at the top of my squat so I am holding back a little. Same with deadlift- went from 330x5 down to 300x5 ("ic" pain affecting deadlifts too a bit though). Bench press went from 215x5 down to 215x3. Clearly, I'm old, probably not lifting enough, not resting enough, and not eating enough protein. But I figure, my lifts went in the crapper I might as well continue getting lean. :'(

On a positive note, Mr Healthy- you're a boss!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I lost strength on my cut. My sqaut took the biggest hit dropping from 315x5 for 4 sets to 285 for about 5 reps 3-4 sets. I did temporarily stop training legs twice a week since I was doing a lot of cardio to cut so that maybe played some part. I took hits everywhere but more minor. Bench , deads, etc. ten weeks back into my bulk and legs just got back to 315. Interesting everything else is at PR levels already
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My strength gains and no loss of strength may just be due to me lifting lighter weights than you guys (bench is only 60kg for reps for example) and starting a new programme (strongman) whilst cutting. New lifts, new moves mean gains in strength? I am only lifting the 75kg atlas stone for 2 reps over a 4 foot yoke, no tacky at the moment (having worked up from the 35kg one a few weeks ago). Hoping to get the 80kg baby up within the next couple of weeks). My log press 1RM is still 55kg. Also us women/females do have the slight upper hand when it comes to recovery and strength gains in strength training: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/strength-training-women/

These are my pbs for reference (much lighter weights guys!)

Squats - 110 kg (242.5 lbs)
    Bench Press - 70 kg (154 lbs)
    Barbell Row - 80 kg (176 lbs)
    Overhead Press - 50 kg (110 lbs)
    Deadlifts - 132.5 kg (292 lbs)

Anywho, eating at maintenance this week as feeling hungry as fudge and a little on the tired side...so water weight gain inevitable...oh and managed to pull inner forearm (near elbow) doing chin ups tonight, ugh!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    My strength gains and no loss of strength may just be due to me lifting lighter weights than you guys (bench is only 60kg for reps for example) and starting a new programme (strongman) whilst cutting. New lifts, new moves mean gains in strength? I am only lifting the 75kg atlas stone for 2 reps over a 4 foot yoke, no tacky at the moment (having worked up from the 35kg one a few weeks ago). Hoping to get the 80kg baby up within the next couple of weeks). My log press 1RM is still 55kg. Also us women/females do have the slight upper hand when it comes to recovery and strength gains in strength training: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/strength-training-women/

Anywho, eating at maintenance this week as feeling hungry as fudge and a little on the tired side...so water weight gain inevitable...oh and managed to pull inner forearm (near elbow) doing chin ups tonight, ugh!

Holy smokes your strong AF! Lol...

That's some motivation right there!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Today still sitting around 182ish...

Definitely been in a deficit all week, and probably a rather large one 700-800ish...

But today, new pr... Dumbbell curl!

For Tomorrow I have top sirloin, rolls, peppers and cheese chilling in the fridge...

About to make some cheese steak sandwiches and enjoy a 22oz IPA...

Probably going to play hell on the scale again, but I'm going to enjoy this... Many reasons to celebrate in life and it's not like I'm training for anything but my own pleasure...
  • sardelsa
    Options

Holy smokes, that is not light weight at all. You are amazing and strong!!!!

My strength stays about the same in a cut.. sometimes it goes up, sometimes down a bit, sometimes maintains. I don't lift low reps or near my max so it can be hard to gauge and I do so many variations of lifts it's hard to know. But if I had to give my strength progress in over 4 years of lifting a rating out of 10, it would be a solid 3.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    @nexangelus don’t be selling your self short. Your are lifts are great 💪
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Holy smokes, that is not light weight at all. You are amazing and strong!!!!

My strength stays about the same in a cut.. sometimes it goes up, sometimes down a bit, sometimes maintains. I don't lift low reps or near my max so it can be hard to gauge and I do so many variations of lifts it's hard to know. But if I had to give my strength progress in over 4 years of lifting a rating out of 10, it would be a solid 3.

Usually when I'm in a bulk I can add weight nearly every week but when I cut, I just try to hold on to the weight I've lifted previously for dear life :lol:

And your probably a lot stronger than you think, look hella strong 🏋️‍♀️ lol

I never max out on legs or anything connected to my shoulders either because of my knees and with 2 kids, Daddy's gotta work lol...
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks Tic78, Mr_Healthy_Habits and sardelsa....it is all relative...also some peeps buck the trend, just to encourage @billkansas (was noticing your disappointment/discouragement in a couple of posts is all) If you speak to most males in the gym, they complain/speak of strength loss during fat loss.

@Mr_Healthy_Habits your transformation is inspiring! And I love your honesty with the timescale and all (no quick fixes, you have worked hard and it shows, kudos!)

Forearm feeling a little less painful today, phew, here is hoping the comp is still on schedule...I was just commenting recently how I was relieved that I had not had any injuries during training, as I think 3 or 4 women have already pulled out due to various strains and things...eep!

Weight sitting at 163lbs (1.6lbs up)
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nexangelus, thanks for sharing. I was rather down about my strength loss but you and Jdog have picked me up. With your lifts you'd easily be the strongest lady at my gym and could out lift most of the men (and probably all the men in your weight class) except at bench press (my gym LIKES to bench) and I'm among the weakest in my gym at that too.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks Tic78, Mr_Healthy_Habits and sardelsa....it is all relative...also some peeps buck the trend, just to encourage @billkansas (was noticing your disappointment/discouragement in a couple of posts is all) If you speak to most males in the gym, they complain/speak of strength loss during fat loss.

@Mr_Healthy_Habits your transformation is inspiring! And I love your honesty with the timescale and all (no quick fixes, you have worked hard and it shows, kudos!)

Forearm feeling a little less painful today, phew, here is hoping the comp is still on schedule...I was just commenting recently how I was relieved that I had not had any injuries during training, as I think 3 or 4 women have already pulled out due to various strains and things...eep!

Weight sitting at 163lbs (1.6lbs up)

Hey thanks! :smile:

Really appreciate you saying so...
    Great work yourself, can't say you're numbers aren't in the back of my mind this leg day lol... 💕

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Well.... 184lbs
    But worth every bite and sip... :lol:

fv2b549xsfdr.jpg
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I’m deep into a cut been in prep for 25 weeks with 5 weeks to go, I did do a comp about 5 weeks ago so cut for 20 weeks for that one, I prefer a slow cut to limit the chance of muscle loss,my training changes in prep from DC style training off season to Fortitude style in a prep, I didn’t do any cardio for last comp but it’s been added in for the upcoming one as first one was qualifier next one is the main goal. Feel free to fire any questions my way
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    I’m deep into a cut been in prep for 25 weeks with 5 weeks to go, I did do a comp about 5 weeks ago so cut for 20 weeks for that one, I prefer a slow cut to limit the chance of muscle loss,my training changes in prep from DC style training off season to Fortitude style in a prep, I didn’t do any cardio for last comp but it’s been added in for the upcoming one as first one was qualifier next one is the main goal. Feel free to fire any questions my way

How do you track progress... Calipers, dexa, BF scale, weight, ffmi?

And what's your daily deficit?

Wow that's like 1/2 a year of cutting...

Thanks in advance... I appreciate it!
  • sardelsa
    edited October 2018
    Options

Oh wow that's a long cut, how much weight do you drop in that time? I thought I had a slow cut!
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

How do you track progress... Calipers, dexa, BF scale, weight, ffmi?

And what's your daily deficit?

Wow that's like 1/2 a year of cutting...

Thanks in advance... I appreciate it!

I use a combination of the mirror and scales to track progress and take pictures in the same lighting every Friday morning.
    Off season calories peaked at 7300 a day and gradually dropped through prep, they were 4000 a day before my qualifier and now 5 weeks out from the Universe I’m down to 3400, I will then reverse diet back into higher calories after this comp and into an off season