Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• Georgboernicke
    Georgboernicke Posts: 1 Member
    @sardelsa starting my cut now. Curious what you've been doing since your post and what your feedback on it is.

I've ended my bulk 4 weeks ago (did nothing but IIFYM during that period and did oddly well).

I added time restricted eating and fasted am cardio 4 weeks ago. I also keep carbs minimum on my first breakfast to benefit from afterburn effect. And I will gradually lower the eating window down to an 8 h window (12pm - 8pm) with the passing weeks while simultanously, slowly lowering my caloric intake. I will also shift my macro distribution from some of my fat % to carbs during the cut since it is easier for me to burn carbs.

I already find that I keep more lean mass, since I see visual fat loss but my overall weight has changed little. Last year I did more aggressive caloric deficits and saw great results in losing fat, but I also lost moderate amounts of muscle mass despite a high protein diet.

Cheers
    G
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Still on this "recomp". Maintaining between 205-210. I have abs - but they always show up around 15% (I got lucky with that lottery). I've been discussing it with my workout buddy who has also been on a recomp - him because he doesn't care to get bigger/stronger and is happy where he's at and just likes to lift. We've come to the conclusion that at least for anybody with goals that involve adding any real lean mass this is not the way to go. It's also probably not the best method if you have a goal of getting significantly stronger. I *am* getting stronger but it's at a literal snails pace and at this rate my 3 plate bench is going happen sometime around 2025... and I'm so close. Anyhow, I've actually picked a date to start logging/bulking again and I still have my fat pants laying around. ;)

Oh, Congratulations! @sardelsa
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hey @Georgboernicke thanks for tagging me, I haven't really kept up with this thread. I am actually 24wks pregnant so definitely not cutting at the moment! Still lifting though (with modifications).

How do know you lost muscle last time? Just based on body composition, mirror, lifting performance? I would imagine if you cut too hard too fast, that could be the result. If that kind of eating schedule you are on now is working for you, great, just don't have to unnecessarily overcomplicate this process... it's really quite simple.. eat in a not too aggressive deficit, get adequate protein, keep up your lifting performance, and eat in a way that allows you to adhere and boosts your workout performance (which will vary depending on the individual) for some people that is IF, low carb, high protein, calorie cycling etc.

Good luck!

Congrats!
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    @sardelsa Congrats 🍾
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    At 177.0 today (started at 184). I seem to be done with travel for awhile, so hopefully i can mentally commit. At this point. Taking things one week at a time to make some progress.

Moved onto my summer lifting routine. Pretty much hit the big lifts and bro out with accessory moves. It is a great mental break from a pure structured routine. Also, i generally do this so i have time to fit in some tennis for cardio.

Hit 175.4 this morning, although its going to be water/glycogen depletion since i am trying a 30-day ketogenic challenge for myself. Seeing if a very restrictive diet helps with compliance. So far, its working really well. Also, been discovering some need and good foods.

A side note, i am finding that I'm much more vascular with this diet. I suspect its due to the increase in FFAs. But that would be just a guess.

Even though tomorrow is my official weigh in day, i hit 173.5 today. 173 was my low weight after my 50lb loss 7 years ago and my lowest weight since middle school (i was 175 and lean as *kitten* all through highschool).

I do know a bulk is in my future but it seems as keto is a good cutting option for me. But no way am i doing this *kitten* long term. I miss oats and fruit.

Weight is up this week at 174.5 but i feel much leaner. I did have more carbs which is probably why. I was craving berries. Net carbs where still sub 50. This week is going to be interesting. I have work travel tomorrow thru Wednesday and then vacation on Friday for the weekend. Goal is maintain thru the week. Not even sure how much exercise I will get in.
  • psuLemon
    At 177.0 today (started at 184). I seem to be done with travel for awhile, so hopefully i can mentally commit. At this point. Taking things one week at a time to make some progress.

Moved onto my summer lifting routine. Pretty much hit the big lifts and bro out with accessory moves. It is a great mental break from a pure structured routine. Also, i generally do this so i have time to fit in some tennis for cardio.

Hit 175.4 this morning, although its going to be water/glycogen depletion since i am trying a 30-day ketogenic challenge for myself. Seeing if a very restrictive diet helps with compliance. So far, its working really well. Also, been discovering some need and good foods.

A side note, i am finding that I'm much more vascular with this diet. I suspect its due to the increase in FFAs. But that would be just a guess.

Even though tomorrow is my official weigh in day, i hit 173.5 today. 173 was my low weight after my 50lb loss 7 years ago and my lowest weight since middle school (i was 175 and lean as *kitten* all through highschool).

I do know a bulk is in my future but it seems as keto is a good cutting option for me. But no way am i doing this *kitten* long term. I miss oats and fruit.

Weight is up this week at 174.5 but i feel much leaner. I did have more carbs which is probably why. I was craving berries. Net carbs where still sub 50. This week is going to be interesting. I have work travel tomorrow thru Wednesday and then vacation on Friday for the weekend. Goal is maintain thru the week. Not even sure how much exercise I will get in.

Update: hit an all time low of 172.8 this morning. Had a few weeks without loss due to travel and life being crazy. Got back on board this week, while still doing keto.

Have been finding some really goof recipes which will be even better once i incorporate some carbs back (i.e., Big Mac replica).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Update: hit an all time low of 172.8 this morning. Had a few weeks without loss due to travel and life being crazy. Got back on board this week, while still doing keto.

Have been finding some really goof recipes which will be even better once i incorporate some carbs back (i.e., Big Mac replica).

Hilarious typo. Would you care to elaborate on these "goof recipes"? :laugh:
  • psuLemon

Its goofy to have a hamburger without a bun lol.
  • quiksylver296

Its goofy to have a hamburger without a bun lol.

I like your definition! Agreed!
  • psuLemon
    So am down to 171 but I am struggling energy wise and have been severely hungry. Think I am going to incorporate periodic refeeds to see if it mitigates some of these symptoms.

Oh, and I am totally using Mike N Ike's to refeed.
  • quiksylver296
    So am down to 171 but I am struggling energy wise and have been severely hungry. Think I am going to incorporate periodic refeeds to see if it mitigates some of these symptoms.

Sour Patch Kids is the correct answer. ;)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member

Yeah, "refeed" is what I've been doing... that's what I'll call it. Went to a 2-day conference and ate like an unsupervised escapee from fat camp.
  • quiksylver296
    steveko89 wrote: »

Yeah, "refeed" is what I've been doing... that's what I'll call it. Went to a 2-day conference and ate like an unsupervised escapee from fat camp.

I just call it #bulking. LOL
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member

I'd love to but there's no excuse for 4200+ calories at my size (yesterday's ballpark total). 1 year+ and 47 pages of this thread later and I still don't feel like I'm lean enough to justify bulking, either.
  • quiksylver296

I'd love to but there's no excuse for 4200+ calories at my size (yesterday's ballpark total). 1 year+ and 47 pages of this thread later and I still don't feel like I'm lean enough to justify bulking, either.

Me, either. Doesn't stop me! ;)
  • psuLemon
    Up 4.5 lbs today :p . Today is the last day of my refeed. Back to keto tomorrow.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I'm still cutting since March and down 15 lbs. I'm continuing since my left glute pain is temporarily preventing heavy squats and deadlifts but it seems to be getting better. If I can't get strong, at least I can get lean in preparation of my next bulk.