Losing motivation

Options
Hello. Help. I’m losing motivation. Over the last three months I’ve been working hard on trying to lose weight and get fit. I’ve been hitting the gym consistently 5 days a week and doing a good mix of burn, build and base workouts for 30-45mins. I have changed my eating habits to a low carb and high protein diet and counting calories at 1400/day based on my BMI. But I’ve only lost 3lbs. Because I’m gaining muscles I get that muscles is heavier but I’m still not feeling like the inches around my mid section is coming off. Sure, I admit that from time to time I will have a decent beer or a decent carb packed meal. What changes do I need to do?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You just need to keep going. Fitness and weight maintenance is a life long endeavor.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weigh I mean
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Weigh I mean
    Well said.
    It bothers me when people oversimplify things like that.
    There is too much misinformation out there as it is.

OP: You need to develop the proper dedication & discipline.

By definition, "motivation" will wane.

There is a high probability that you are eating more than you think and/or exercising less strenuously than you believe.
    Those two variables are the foundation of CICO.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Regarding motivation.

Try setting mini goals for yourself , take pictures of yourself through your progress and set mini rewards that you can obtain when you hit your goals. Like say if you lose 10 pounds then allow yourself to buy yourself a shirt or get a manicure. Or if you log your food for 1 week , do something special that you may like.
    Challenge a friend to beat to a mini goal. Just some ideas.

Regarding your actual progress . You are getting some good advice. I suggest checking out the sticky at the top of the forum.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

It gives you a LOT Of good information. Like regarding "counting calories". How you measure what you are eating is REALLY important. I weigh everything in grams myself. So instead of saying "1 medium apple" it's weighed and it maybe 125 grams.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    But people are rarely referring to specific volumes when they say it.
    They are referring to weight in relation to overall/comparable mass.

It is the same reason you should not *really* be weighing things in kilograms.
    Kilos are a unit of MASS, not weight.

* Disclosure: I'm trained in physics as an Engineer

Are people referring to weight in relation to mass? How... I'm glitching on how that would even work. I mean, what?

I have always understood 'muscle weighs more than fat' to be a shorthand for 'a smaller volume of muscle may weigh the same as a larger volume of fat', which is true. This would be supported by the way that the people who say it tend to add that the person should take their measurements as those may be a 'truer' reflection of progress; the idea is that the same weight of muscle would take up less space. Which makes perfect sense. It's not usually what's happening, but replying to it with 'muscle does not weigh more than fat' is more than a bit misleading, to my mind.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

• kymmaidoua
    kymmaidoua Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who commented!
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Please don’t misunderstand muscle does NOT way more than fat. Muscle takes up less space than a pound. A pound is a pound

Be careful with this statement. I said the exact same thing on a different tread and got woo’ed and trashed several times.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Please don’t misunderstand muscle does NOT way more than fat. Muscle takes up less space than a pound. A pound is a pound

Be careful with this statement. I said the exact same thing on a different tread and got woo’ed and trashed several times.

You were just corrected. Hugs
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You don't really need motivation. You really need habit/routine. One is impossible to maintain day to day - the other is not.

Make accurate logging your habit. Get that right. Then adjust. Once the logging/weighing accurately is habit, motivation won't matter.

When you do what's habit even when motivation is not there, guess what? That can become motivating in and of itself. Everybody can do this when they're motivated. Those that succeed do this when they are not. But it is not magic - it's just habit.

This, 100%

OP, I've been at this process for 7 years now. Motivation doesn't mean anything-committing to seeing this through until the end is everything. I do that by establishing realistic and sustainable habits that I do every single day, no matter what's happening in life.

I've successfully managed my weight through holidays, vacations, family tragedies and emergencies, job changes, a move, times of extreme stress and illness (shingles etc), and then the hundreds and hundreds of days that are boringly mundane and routine.

Figure out what habits you need to create, to be successful at this long term, and then learn how to build those habits into your life :)
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

...but muscle does weigh more than fat. A specific volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat....

What weighs more? A ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?