Grocery List Help!

Options

Replies

• diane423
    diane423 Posts: 48
    Options
    you can add tuna, also try Gardein brand foods low fat and so tastey, also you can add a veggie burgers.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with fresh fruit for snacking. Veggies and dip are good snacks, too. I make my own dip, which makes the veggies doable if you're not usually a big fan. I don't think it's too bad for you, considering how creamy it is... Blend a block of fat free cream cheese, skim milk (I don't measure, I just add more until it's the consistency I want), ranch seasoning, dill and a dash of cayenne pepper.

that sounds like a good idea! I guess low fat ranch would be ok too.. too bad it doesnt taste that good lol

I make this dip for parties and everyone always says it's got a lot of flavor and they love how thick it is. They usually are surprised that I used fat free everything. I can't stand the tubs of stuff you buy at the store- I'm sorry, dip shouldn't jiggle!

do you think I could make it with almond milk? What I eat my kids also eat.. and my youngest daughter cant have regular milk.. has to be almond milk or soy, I am definitely going to write this down and try it though! Thanks!
  • katiechaloner
    katiechaloner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always have a few key things on my list:
    Hummus
    Advocado
    Cous Cous... absolutely delicious when you add small diced vegetables and a bit of seasoning. Not as heavy as pasta
    Sweat Potatoes or butternut squash... great alternative to potatoes
    Quinoa - mix in with cumin, paprika, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, garlic and fresh mint leaves
    Wholemeal flour - great for making healthy muffins if you mix in with Banana and dates
    Flaxseeds - sprinkled on your cereal in the morning
    Plenty of vegetables, salad and fresh white meat or fish....

Good luck, hope it helps!
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    What about Hummus for with your carrots? It is delicious! 2 tbsp. of hummus and 10 baby carrots is between 85-100 calories (depending on your flavor of hummus. I like the roasted red pepper).

Also, have you ever tried Sea Cuisine's Parmessan Crusted Tilapia. It is AMAZING! And only 250 calories a filet. I like to pair it with steamed veggies. I usually go for frozen California or Asian blends.

And you can never go wrong with cottage cheese. So many things you can do with it. You can even make it a milkshake!

Sandwiches make you nauseated??? (not nauseous, that means you make other people sick LOL) Could you have a gluten sensitivity? My Hubby has Celiac's (mild form) and shouldn't have gluten at all (but he still sneaks in some here and there,). I've noticed since going almost 100% gluten free for him, that whenever I eat regular pasta or bread now, it makes me feel awful. I'll be bloated and crappy feeling for days! It just isn't worth it to me. Plus I think rice pasta taste way better anyway. And bread is just empty calories in my opinion.

I never knew Naseaus( ugh I cant spell it for the life of me) meant you make other people sick! lol.. I always hear people say ( I feel so Nausaus). Guess Ive been using it wrong this whole time! oops haha.. Anyway, Im not sure! I dont have a problem with anything else! I thought it was the type of lunch meat and bread so i changed it up but I would still feel sick to my stomach and couldnt finish it. That tilapia sounds AWSEOME! I love Tilapia! Is it a frozen dinner?
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    I'd agree with fresh fruit for snacking. Veggies and dip are good snacks, too. I make my own dip, which makes the veggies doable if you're not usually a big fan. I don't think it's too bad for you, considering how creamy it is... Blend a block of fat free cream cheese, skim milk (I don't measure, I just add more until it's the consistency I want), ranch seasoning, dill and a dash of cayenne pepper.

that sounds like a good idea! I guess low fat ranch would be ok too.. too bad it doesnt taste that good lol

I make this dip for parties and everyone always says it's got a lot of flavor and they love how thick it is. They usually are surprised that I used fat free everything. I can't stand the tubs of stuff you buy at the store- I'm sorry, dip shouldn't jiggle!

do you think I could make it with almond milk? What I eat my kids also eat.. and my youngest daughter cant have regular milk.. has to be almond milk or soy, I am definitely going to write this down and try it though! Thanks!

Um, I don't know what either of those taste like, but I'm sure you could give it a try! Let me know how that goes!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers
    Bell peppers (green, yellow, red, and orange)
    Onion (red and white)...
    Splenda or Stevia
    Balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, cider vinegar

Thin cut and combine all veggies in a large bowl. (Leave some skin on the cucumbers, if not all.) Use as little or as much onion as you like.

In a separate bowl, add vinegars and sweetener. I use 1 cup of the white vinegar, then 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup of the balsamic... I add around 3-4 packets of Splenda - but the mix really depends on your taste. Wisk together - then pour over the salad.

Cover and refrigerate for an hour or longer. This keeps well overnight. Soaks up more of the vinegar. YUMM-O!
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    I always have a few key things on my list:
    Hummus
    Advocado
    Cous Cous... absolutely delicious when you add small diced vegetables and a bit of seasoning. Not as heavy as pasta
    Sweat Potatoes or butternut squash... great alternative to potatoes
    Quinoa - mix in with cumin, paprika, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, garlic and fresh mint leaves
    Wholemeal flour - great for making healthy muffins if you mix in with Banana and dates
    Flaxseeds - sprinkled on your cereal in the morning
    Plenty of vegetables, salad and fresh white meat or fish....

Good luck, hope it helps!

oooh sweet potatoes! yum

I added most of the other stuff. is butternut squash different from regular squash? lol.. sorry for the stupid question!
    and WHAT is flaxseed?? I hear it helps with weight loss and i see peanut butter that has it on top.. Looks gross.. idk what it is but I hear it EVERYWHERE lol
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What about Hummus for with your carrots? It is delicious! 2 tbsp. of hummus and 10 baby carrots is between 85-100 calories (depending on your flavor of hummus. I like the roasted red pepper).

Also, have you ever tried Sea Cuisine's Parmessan Crusted Tilapia. It is AMAZING! And only 250 calories a filet. I like to pair it with steamed veggies. I usually go for frozen California or Asian blends.

And you can never go wrong with cottage cheese. So many things you can do with it. You can even make it a milkshake!

Sandwiches make you nauseated??? (not nauseous, that means you make other people sick LOL) Could you have a gluten sensitivity? My Hubby has Celiac's (mild form) and shouldn't have gluten at all (but he still sneaks in some here and there,). I've noticed since going almost 100% gluten free for him, that whenever I eat regular pasta or bread now, it makes me feel awful. I'll be bloated and crappy feeling for days! It just isn't worth it to me. Plus I think rice pasta taste way better anyway. And bread is just empty calories in my opinion.

I never knew Naseaus( ugh I cant spell it for the life of me) meant you make other people sick! lol.. I always hear people say ( I feel so Nausaus). Guess Ive been using it wrong this whole time! oops haha.. Anyway, Im not sure! I dont have a problem with anything else! I thought it was the type of lunch meat and bread so i changed it up but I would still feel sick to my stomach and couldnt finish it. That tilapia sounds AWSEOME! I love Tilapia! Is it a frozen dinner?

Yes, it is frozen. All the grocery stores where I am at carry it, but I am up in PA. They have a few other flavors, but this parmesan makes this one the best.

Oh, and btw, I secretly love when someone "annoying" makes the "I'm nauseous" statement because I think to myself "Yep, you're making me sick right now!" LOL I know, I know, I'm evil, but only 85% evil. ;-)
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Oatmeal!

lol! Of course! We ALWAYS have oatmeal here.. my kids love that stuff! haha.. I didnt add alot of things that I am suprised.. brains not working this morning I guess!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers
    Onion (red and white)...
    Splenda or Stevia

Thin cut and combine all veggies in a large bowl. (Leave some skin on the cucumbers, if not all.) Use as little or as much onion as you like.

In a separate bowl, add vinegars and sweetener. I use 1 cup of the white vinegar, then 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup of the balsamic... I add around 3-4 packets of Splenda - but the mix really depends on your taste. Wisk together - then pour over the salad.

Cover and refrigerate for an hour or longer. This keeps well overnight. Soaks up more of the vinegar. YUMM-O!

This sounds DELICIOUS!

Oh, and I just read on the pudding mix packet the other day that it won't set when made with soy milk! I wasn't making it as pudding so it didn't really matter, but I thought that stinks!
  • jazzy020106
    Options

Yes, it is frozen. All the grocery stores where I am at carry it, but I am up in PA. They have a few other flavors, but this parmesan makes this one the best.

Oh, and btw, I secretly love when someone "annoying" makes the "I'm nauseous" statement because I think to myself "Yep, you're making me sick right now!" LOL I know, I know, I'm evil, but only 85% evil. ;-)

hahaha omg! Well now I am never going to say that again =/. And im in FL but I am going to look for it!
  • cdstadt
    Options
    and WHAT is flaxseed?? I hear it helps with weight loss and i see peanut butter that has it on top.. Looks gross.. idk what it is but I hear it EVERYWHERE lol

Flaxseed is rich in omega 3's. Vegans and people allergic to eggs use it to replace the eggs in baking sometimes.

You can buy the seeds or flaxmeal, which is ground up seeds. I'm no expert, but I think the flaxmeal is way more beneficial because the body can't really break down the whole seed enough to absorb the nutrients.

I sprinkle it on things occasionally but usually use it for baking or smoothies.
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Cucumbers
    Onion (red and white)...
    Splenda or Stevia

This sounds DELICIOUS!

Oh, and I just read on the pudding mix packet the other day that it won't set when made with soy milk! I wasn't making it as pudding so it didn't really matter, but I thought that stinks!

yes it does! I dont think I have ever made a meal with sugar and veggies mixed! lol.. Can i make it without cucumbers lol
  • jazzy020106
    Options

Flaxseed is rich in omega 3's. Vegans and people allergic to eggs use it to replace the eggs in baking sometimes.

You can buy the seeds or flaxmeal, which is ground up seeds. I'm no expert, but I think the flaxmeal is way more beneficial because the body can't really break down the whole seed enough to absorb the nutrients.

I sprinkle it on things occasionally but usually use it for baking or smoothies.

oh wow! Can kids eat it? because my daughter cant have eggs lol.. Ill have to google Omega 3 because idk what that is supposed to do for you lol.
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Ok guys, my list is HUGE! omg! lol.. But I feel like I have lots of variety now and I got to jot down 2 new recipes to try that are healthy =[ Im excited!
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    bump

I love your quote!
  • cdstadt
    Options

oh wow! Can kids eat it? because my daughter cant have eggs lol.. Ill have to google Omega 3 because idk what that is supposed to do for you lol.

I don't know much about kid nutrition but flax in baked goods should be alright. You only need a few Tbs at the most to replace eggs. It's got a lot of fiber so it COULD make anybody not used to high fiber have some "laxative effects," but I think that's rare. I guess similar to people that can't handle Mexican food or beans well.
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It was something my math teacher once told me in high school years ago. Always kind of stuck with me!

I've been looking at the suggestions that have been given to you! I'm gunna steal some of them and add to my grocery list. for Saturday!