Running. Let's do it right this time!

Options

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to slow down. Also, get to a running store with knowledgable staff so they can analyze your gait. You definitely will benefit from better shoes.

Good luck and hope you enjoy running!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oooft - I've just done... half of the first session... I started getting severe pain in the arches of my feet, shin splints, and a stitch in my side!

Eeek! I'm glad I stopped though - now that I've cooled down, I can see that I would very likely have injured myself had I pushed on through the (increasing) pain!

BUT I do not consider this a failure! Muahaha! This is merely the beginning! I'll make you proud Michael Johnson!

So - Thursday - supposed to be a swimming day - but I reckon I can fit in a jog beforehand - my second-first session! :D

Also, you folks were totally right (I knew you were, I just don't like spending money) - but I definitely need new shoes. These ones... are not good...

yeah, from the pain you're experiencing, you need proper running shoes. i would get them before running again, i if was you.
  • cprobertson12
    cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

yeah, from the pain you're experiencing, you need proper running shoes. i would get them before running again, i if was you.

But... but... but... the moneyz! :D

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it I'm afraid - if I want to buy them ASAP, I'll need to try that DW sports fitness store in Kilmarnock - let's see... open until 1930 - I finish work at 1630, home by 1710, kilmarnock by 1740, DW Sports by 1755 - an I can be home for 1900ish - which gives me enough time to grab a sandwhich and head out to scuba training.

I've emailed the local running club to enquire if DW Sports is a decent choice - though to judge by the advice of @lsp123 it would certainly seem to be!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

But... but... but... the moneyz! :D

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it I'm afraid - if I want to buy them ASAP, I'll need to try that DW sports fitness store in Kilmarnock - let's see... open until 1930 - I finish work at 1630, home by 1710, kilmarnock by 1740, DW Sports by 1755 - an I can be home for 1900ish - which gives me enough time to grab a sandwhich and head out to scuba training.

I've emailed the local running club to enquire if DW Sports is a decent choice - though to judge by the advice of @lsp123 it would certainly seem to be!

its an investment!

plus its all of your birthday & Christmas presents sorted for the foreseeable... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    bad shoes=injury=not running
    shoes are very important
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    bad shoes=injury=not running
    shoes are very important

I know...... but moneyz :p:D I'm going tomorrow it turns out - tomorrow is my rest day anyway!

As you said - very important - as much as I want to skimp on them, it's just not worth it...!
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Ooft, I'm really feeling it today (and yesterday evening) - come on body, we can rebuild it! Better, stronger, faster!

I walked home in my current running shoes last night and... I have to say, they are not good - definitely need better shoes! They gave me blisters on the soles of my heels - I've never had blisters there before (yay, new experiences!).

So - new shoes are tonight's plan - I'm aiming for £80-100 (I can't believe I'm okay with that - spending that much money in one go scares me!) :)
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ooft, I'm really feeling it today (and yesterday evening) - come on body, we can rebuild it! Better, stronger, faster!

I walked home in my current running shoes last night and... I have to say, they are not good - definitely need better shoes! They gave me blisters on the soles of my heels - I've never had blisters there before (yay, new experiences!).

So - new shoes are tonight's plan - I'm aiming for £80-100 (I can't believe I'm okay with that - spending that much money in one go scares me!) :)

Spend money on the shoes. Then you won't spend money on the injuries ;)

I generally spend $120-160.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

good point... my physio cost £35 a session... though i didn't see her for anything bad shoe related!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The title of your thread is " Running. Let's Do it Right This Time!". Go get the new shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I was going to say that but i wasn't sure how much it really came into it since it sounded like they were british and i didn't know how much the NHS covered.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I’m not here to say I told you so... ;)

If you’re getting blisters, the shoes may or may not be the problem. Socks may also be to blame, especially if you’re running in standard cotton socks. Get a few pairs of running socks when you go buy your shoes. I know, they do cost more than regular cotton socks, but I have never had another blister once I got moisture wicking socks.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted running shoes are worth the investment. I spent around $120 on mine after having my gait analyzed at a local running store. They also worked with me on lacing techniques to get an even better fit.

Shen starting c25k my first 3 weeks were the hardest by far. I just completed week 7 tonight and it is coming much easier.

Go slow... really slower.... don’t bounce up and down. I also took 2 rest days in between runs at the beginning instead of just one. It will take time for your body to recover in between runs.

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I agree with the other posters.

First thing, before you even get back on a treadmill/outside and do a run - go and get fitted for PROPER running shoes. Find out your pronation - I didn't and had YEARS of issues. The problem - I overpronate (severely on my right foot - I'm flat footed on my right) and had the wrong shoes. Correct running shoes will eliminate a lot of issues. My running shoes cost $200(AUD) and it's worth the investment. I also use cross-training shoes for solely gym work, trail running shoes for when i run on gravely surfaces and proper hiking shoes for hiking in the hills.

Secondly, slow down. If you cannot sustain a coversation while doing the running component of C25K, you're still too fast. And remember - take it as slow as you can. No point rushing through the program - you will injure yourself!

Thirdly - get some strength training in. Squats, deadlifts, hammy rolls etc will help your running.

Hope this helps and good luck! I look forward to hearing how you're going in C25K :-)

EDIT: 200th post! WOOTS!
  • cprobertson12
    edited March 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I’m not here to say I told you so... ;)

If you’re getting blisters, the shoes may or may not be the problem. Socks may also be to blame, especially if you’re running in standard cotton socks. Get a few pairs of running socks when you go buy your shoes. I know, they do cost more than regular cotton socks, but I have never had another blister once I got moisture wicking socks.

Lol! I knew all you were right all along - just too stingy to do anything about it!

I was supposed to get gait analysis and shoe-fitting at DW Sports Fitness yesterday, but life got in the way - so I'm going tonight instead.

I also get paid today - so shoes are this month's big purchase! Woo!

Blister-wise, I'm pretty sure it was those shoes - the day I got them I changed over to my regular boots when I got home and walked another 2 miles with no problems whatsoever.

That's not to discount the socks too! If I'm going to be running a lot (which I intend to), then it's probably worth buying a pair from the store tonight while I'm at it.

::thumbs-up::

Properly fitted running shoes are worth the investment. I spent around $120 on mine after having my gait analyzed at a local running store. They also worked with me on lacing techniques to get an even better fit.

Shen starting c25k my first 3 weeks were the hardest by far. I just completed week 7 tonight and it is coming much easier.

Go slow... really slower.... don’t bounce up and down. I also took 2 rest days in between runs at the beginning instead of just one. It will take time for your body to recover in between runs.

Aye, I've heard the first few weeks - and especially the first week are the most challenging! I was like that when I started swimming last year - at first I couldn't do a length without a 5-minute rest in between, but after a few short weeks I could easily to 50+ lengths without really thinking much about it! Hopefully running will be a similar story!

I think I'll have to follow you in taking two rest days - I'm definitely not up for a run tonight. The blisters are mostly gone, but there's still a lot of muscle (and probably tendon) ache too! Getting better slowly but surely though - stretches are helping too!

I may have been overworking on my first run as well - and I'm unsure if I was bouncing or not (I naturally bounce when I walk, so I may have been bouncing and just didn't realise!).

I have just heard back from the local running club - I've been invited to meet with their most experienced coach who is doing a session with another starter running on Tuesday - so hopefully we'll start ironing out my running technique problems!

That said, technique improves just by doing it - part of why I had a sudden spike in swimming ability was because my technique was improved by doing it all the time - and I hope running will be the same! :smile:
    Lift weights, it will help you run injury free.
    I agree with the other posters.

First thing, before you even get back on a treadmill/outside and do a run - go and get fitted for PROPER running shoes. Find out your pronation - I didn't and had YEARS of issues. The problem - I overpronate (severely on my right foot - I'm flat footed on my right) and had the wrong shoes. Correct running shoes will eliminate a lot of issues. My running shoes cost $200(AUD) and it's worth the investment. I also use cross-training shoes for solely gym work, trail running shoes for when i run on gravely surfaces and proper hiking shoes for hiking in the hills.

Secondly, slow down. If you cannot sustain a conversation while doing the running component of C25K, you're still too fast. And remember - take it as slow as you can. No point rushing through the program - you will injure yourself!

Thirdly - get some strength training in. Squats, deadlifts, hammy rolls etc will help your running.

Hope this helps and good luck! I look forward to hearing how you're going in C25K :-)

EDIT: 200th post! WOOTS!

Two posts in quick succession about strength-training!

This is part of my agenda - as I'm getting back into swimming that will help as well I plan on starting this round about the middle of the 9-week Couch-to-5k. I have had a number of suggestions for this: circuit training (deadlift>press-up>squat>shoulder press>step up?bent over row>load carriage lunge>trunk rotation>repeat) has been suggested to me as being good for helping me build muscle mass and endurance to make scuba easier (and I can do all of them from the comfort of my home, with gear (DIY or store bought) that I have lying around) - though I might make a habit of going to the gym as a form of motivation!

It was suggested I start with 2 sets with 12-15 reps (low resistance) once or twice a week for a few weeks to get started (in addition to stretches 2-4 times a week, and running 3 times a week) - so we'll see how that goes!
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    A few weeks ago I looked at all of this and I thought "eek, this is a lot of stuff!" - but I just read everything I wrote, and for the first time I've realised that I'm not frightened of it.

Sure, I don't doubt I'll struggle a bit to start with - but I want to do this, I need to do this!

There will be hurdles, both foreseen and unforeseen - and it will be hard - but I can and will do this. I proved last year that I could get fit and re-learn to swim in a relatively short period of time - and I learned a lot from it (even if I stopped at xmas... yeah, that was a mistake!).

I learned that this is not a matter of the body: the body will adjust to whatever it is put through - it is up to the mind to consciously decide to put the body through it - it is literally a case of mind over matter - determination over lethargy.

I can do this, and I will do this!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Give us a heads up when you get back from the store tonight. Looking forward to all your shiny new purchases. :D
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Give us a heads up when you get back from the store tonight. Looking forward to all your shiny new purchases. :D

Woo!

I got a pair of Asics with orthotic insoles - turns out I have a marked overpronation. Oh, and running socks too! (Thanks for the suggestion, @apullum :grin:)

Afraid I haven't tried them out yet - I was still recovering from my run earlier in the week and then I went diving at the weekend and came back exhausted! I was incredibly achy after last Tuesday - the ankles in particular had taken a pounding. Hopefully they've healed up a bit for the next run (and hopefully the orthotic insoles will help stop that happening again!)

First run with the new shoes is tomorrow - I got in contact with a local running club, they've just got somebody through jog leadership training and are looking at starting up a beginners program aiming to get newbies up to 5k and able to do a park run (I don't know exactly what a park run entails - though I'm sure I'm safe to assume it's a run in a park! Why that's the goal is another matter entirely!).

Anyway - their most experienced runner is taking myself and another out for our first run - I can't wait! I'm nervous and excited in equal measure - aiming to get three runs in this week (including that one) and start my Couch-to-5k off properly now that I'm better equipped!

Thanks for all the tips folks - I'll keep you all posted on how I get on tomorrow evening! :grin:

• ids69
    ids69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Go to a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes.

Follow a training program like C25K. You can already walk comfortably for 30 minutes, so you should be able to start C25K now. Your current level of fitness is far higher than mine was when I started it. Following a professionally designed plan will make you less likely to get injured or burned out.

Remember that you should be eating back your exercise calories if you’re using MFP’s calorie goals. All of your exercise counts unless you already accounted for it in your activity level settings. Depending on your stats, each of your walks/rides is probably at least 100 or so calories, and as you said, those add up. They might not be a big deal now, but as you increase your activity, you may feel hungry and tired if you’re not fueling properly.

Good shout on the calories - according to MFP I'm actually burning 400 calories a day with the cycling. :open_mouth: When I said I wasn't "counting" it - I meant I don't consider it "real" exercise (whatever that is!) as I'm not "gaining" from it.

As for running shoes, I'm going to have to fork out at some point - I have a moderately cheap pair I got fitted at Sports Direct last year - but I'll need to get a better pair at some point - preferably with more cushioning! I'll see about going to a more professional sports outlet as well. I'll wear out my current shoes first... mostly because I can't afford new shoes right now :wink:

You know, I think you're right - the longer I procrastinate about starting, the longer I will procrastinate once I start!

I'm going swimming tonight, and I'll walk+run+walk to work tomorrow and I'll continue with the C25k from there. Thanks for that! :grin:

Get yourself a heart rate monitor and follow the maffetone running formula, and don`t get shoes that are to cushioned, they will not let your feet move in a natural way.