Anyone reversing diabetes through weight loss, or struggling to do so?

Options
13»

Replies

• GratefulWayFarer
    GratefulWayFarer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My mum was in your situation a few years ago, and I really pushed her to go gym and stay away from high glycémic carbs (she still eats carbs, just stuff like fruit and veg, flour based garbage she steers clear of) and she's went from 220lbs roughly to 140lbs..and it was 100 all her effort. She just needed a mentor or a person who would consistently tell her to go gym (that was me) and pester her 24 7. You can do it, it's very doable! Good luck!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic on March 18. My A1C was 5.8, with 5.7 being the cut-off. I'm a 55y/o female and weighed 221 at my appointment. I'm down to 214 now and intend to get good results at my next visit!!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Lavndrblu2 wrote: »
    A Youtube guru said that "obesity does not give you high blood sugar, high blood sugar makes you obese". So the premise is to focus on your blood sugar by whatever works for you and get healthy and the weight will take care of itself.

End of October, I was 220lbs, with a fasting blood sugar of 230 and an A1c of 9.9. I got serious and started to eat LCHF. I am now down 17lbs, with a fasting average of 125 = A1c of ~6.1.
    I am 72 so most of my exercise is walking a few times a week, which I will increase gradually.

One other important tool for you would be a blood glucose monitor. It will help you determine which foods make your blood sugar rise to unsafe levels.

I hard stopped reading at "Youtube guru".
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I reversed the progression of prediabetes (diagnosed in 2012), with weight loss. Now I'm around 6 years into maintenance and see fasting glucose numbers consistently in the 80s. My doctor is please with where I'm at and hasn't recommended any further changes (I continue to eat a higher carb woe etc).
  • debrakgoogins
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @IsETHome Congratulations on how far you've come! Have you started any type of exercise? Start somewhere - swimming is where I started because there was no impact to my joints. Adding yoga helped me gain back my mobility and balance. You might look into DDPY yoga. They have a program that starts with bed yoga for people who are literally bedridden. If I had known about it then, I would have incorporated it earlier. Some movement is better than no movement. You might surprise yourself.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i wasn't diagnosed with diabetes but I was flagged as pre diabetic. That went away when i lost weight. I was 5'4 194lbs and it went away when i got into the 160-170 range. I'm 148 now.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Diabetic over 10+ years. Lost a good amount of weight and I am no longer on diabetic meds.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @IsETHome Congratulations on how far you've come! Have you started any type of exercise? Start somewhere - swimming is where I started because there was no impact to my joints. Adding yoga helped me gain back my mobility and balance. You might look into DDPY yoga. They have a program that starts with bed yoga for people who are literally bedridden. If I had known about it then, I would have incorporated it earlier. Some movement is better than no movement. You might surprise yourself.

I do water jogging right now about 3 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour (I was born a water baby). I believe they have that yoga where I swim, but weird time slots. I have added about 15 minutes easy walking 2.6 mph a couple of times a week - I know this probably doesn't seem like much, but for me it is :/
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    I do water jogging right now about 3 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour (I was born a water baby). I believe they have that yoga where I swim, but weird time slots. I have added about 15 minutes easy walking 2.6 mph a couple of times a week - I know this probably doesn't seem like much, but for me it is :/

You're doing more than you were doing before so that's a win!

Just an FYI - DDPY yoga is available online through an app subscription. You don't have to go to a physical class. I do it at home. So does my hubby.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    So here's my update - I've lost 30 lbs since Mid Nov and just had my fasting retested, it came in at a 97 which is in the normal range (it was 127 in Early December). They didn't do the full A1c test this go around. I'm pleased that the weight loss is improving my health. My bad cholesterol is still high, but the number has still lowered.

Turns out they did my A1c, but it was so low I didn't recognize it as that test, haha. 5.6 - all normal.

Awesome numbers, with probably more news re. LDL on the way as you continue your great work. Thanks for posting back.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My spouse found that seriously increasing his activity levels made major imporvements in his blood sugar -- even before any weight came off. He had gotten very sedentary via his work (very, very, VERY sedentary). He went on metformin, but that alone wasn't enough -- doing 45-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise brought his A1C into non-diabetic range and his blood sugars back to normal. Lowered dose of meds, no progression, as long as he keeps moving.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    You can do it. My wife was pre-diabetic. A couple years ago, she was signed up for a class by our health care provider. I asked If I could attend too, since I do all the cooking. Since we started concentrating on her diet, she has turned it around. A nice side-effect is that she has also lost some weight.