Do you track salad etc

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If I'm logging (I don't always), the point is to know what I'm eating, so I log everything (I currently log at Cron and without my veg my nutrient amounts would be way off). I am more likely to estimate amounts of low cal veg if for some reason that happens to be easier than weighing. If it's really a very small amount of something, I might be lazy about logging it or make another veg a bit bigger to account for it.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I just ate a 500 calorie salad, (that I made at home), so yes it's important, especially when you're just starting out to track everything :) After you transition into maintenance and have been at it a while you may be able to 'eyeball' things a bit, but that's much further along into the process.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you consume it; log it!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I don't track lettuce, raw spinach or seasonings, but track other veggies & salad toppings. Sometimes I'll log all the other veggies combined as red peppers, even though it might be a combination of cucumbers, onions, carrots, peppers, etc... Other toppings are logged separate - dressing, fruit, proteins, grains, etc....
    I'm glad this works for you but for a new person who is trying to understand calorie counting, it's not a good way to get started. Depending on how often they eat salads and what they are putting on the salad, it would be easy to over or underestimate the calories being consumed.

You're right. When I first started I counted EVERYTHING. Now, with experience, I tailored it to meet my needs. I should have stated that in the original post. Thanks for politely keeping me in check 😁
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do because I eat giant salads and my spinach and romaine can sometimes add up to a lot. Todays spinach, romaine, green onions, radishes and cucumber which are usually very low calorie amounts intake adds up to over 50 calories so it can make a difference. I mean if your talking one leaf of iceberg on your sandwich that won't make a difference but everything else yes, I do weigh and log.

I think people have very different ideas of what a salad is and many times think it's those cute little side salads that come with meals at restaurants. When I make a salad it's game on :D My lunch salad today had 4 cups of leafy greens, a cup of cherry tomatoes, 6 sweet peppers, 1/2 of an onion, a head of broccoli, green and black olives, sunflower seeds, a serving of pinto beans, mild pepper rings, feta cheese, hot sauce and then low calorie Catalina dressing. Now that's a salad lol.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    You're right. When I first started I counted EVERYTHING. Now, with experience, I tailored it to meet my needs. I should have stated that in the original post. Thanks for politely keeping me in check 😁

The great thing about forums is that there are so many people here with years of experience doing this. It's easy to forget how we all started out. Beside, I figured someone else had flogged you enough. Twice would have just been cruel. :D
  • MmeZeeZee
    MmeZeeZee Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes. I get that it's "only" 100 or so calories over the whole day for just lettuce, but then again a 30 minute medium workout is "only" 120 calories and I definitely am tracking the workouts. :smiley:
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    My answer would be to ask you the very same question

Do you need to log everything? That's a question only you can answer.

In the end the goal is to manage your weight and how diligently and vigilantly you need to track your food in take to achieve this will differ from person to person. The aim is to do enough to get the result you're looking.

I, for example, find that I am able to successfully achieve my goal (to reduce my weight) by logging consistently if not necessarily as rigorously as others. I usually don't bother counting condiments or if I grab a couple of lollies out of the bowl at work I'll not always bother to log them. Right now logging my food loosely is enough for me to be successful so any additional time and effort would be wasted or at the very least provide diminishing returns.

Some people on the other hand find that they need to be far more strict with their logging so will have to log everything meticulously.

So I suppose that the real answer to this question is something you'll need to discover for yourself. Log to a certain standard, a standard that you can easily stick to long term and see if it works. If you're getting results then you're level of logging is fine and if not you know that you'll need to pay more attention and log more strictly.

Also bear in mind that your approach to logging will change over time. Mine definitely has. While I am still pretty relaxed with my logging I am more strict that I used to be and fully expect to have to tighten up my logging more and more as I lose weight and the margins I'm working with get smaller.

G'luck
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    People who don’t track everything are doomed to fail.

:o dun dun dun...
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    There are some things I don't track. Mustard on a sandwich, iceberg lettuce, coffee. It's my little way of raging against the machine. I realize my calories aren't exactly accurate because of that and I'm okay with that. I've lost weight and maintained just fine.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    People who don’t track everything are doomed to fail.

Quick! We need to get the message out to the billions of people who maintain a healthy weight that don't have MFP that they're doomed!!

That kind of illustrates the point I was making. Some can maintain a healthy weight while doing exactly zero tracking. In fact most of the world does just that.

Food logging is an aid, a tool to be used to achieve an outcome and how to best use that tool is very individual. For some, dedicating the extra time and effort to meticulously logging is what they need to do to achieve their goal. Others can use the tool a bit (or a lot) less rigorously and are able to achieve their goals and doing more than they need to do is just a waste.

My goal is to manage my weight not have the most accurate and impressive food log. So I do just enough to get what really matters and not one bit more.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes: Track as accurately as possible, including low calorie foods.
    You'd actually be surprised how many calories are in some fruits and vegetables such as strawberries and lima beans.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    That kind of illustrates the point I was making. Some can maintain a healthy weight while doing exactly zero tracking. In fact most of the world does just that.

They aren’t in these forums.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

They aren’t in these forums.

That's not true. There are people on the forum who lost weight logging, but are now maintaining and no longer logging.

There are also plenty of people who are here who lose weight logging casually.

And even if people who can lose or maintain without logging aren't here on MFP, it's no reason to tell someone they are doomed to fail if they don't log 100% accurately. That doesn't make sense. Lots of people use mfp lots of different ways for lots of different goals.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @thanos5 water and saliva, lol!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I log and weigh everything that goes into my mouth :) otherwise your calories will be off

Me too.