Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why does eating healthy cost so much πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Bought fruits, salad, and shrimp from the grocery store and it came to $90.33 πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚ Oh well, now to devour it all
Β«134567

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    admittedly I only buy shrimp when its on sale - but its 6.99-8.99 a lb typically; most of my protein is make up of chicken/pork tenderloin etc

did you buy the salad off like a salad bar - because that easily triples the cost?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    It may depend on where you shop.
    It’s actually cheaper for me now, I buy salad ingredients and fresh fruit every week. I’ve never purchased fresh shrimp, always frozen. As another person asked, where do you live? Seems very excessive to me. I guess it depends on how much you purchased too.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    When I am eating "well" my grocery bill is higher, too. I try to stock up on things when they're on sale, like frozen veggies I can use when I run out of fresh. Same with lentils. I buy loads of those when the bags are 2-for-1, and they last for a long time.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Yikes! That does seem high, but as others have pointed out there's a lot of tricks (like buying frozen fruit/veggies if you're going to make them into something like stirfry or smoothie) that can help you budget.

The cost of healthy eating definitely varies by region! Unfortunately your location/proximity to farms definitely influences the cost of fresh produce, as does the season. Buying in season is always good advice, or at least watch for coupons & sales.

I find it pretty easy to eat well on my budget. I average about $35/week on groceries (I'm single so only feeding myself). Can't afford things like almond butter or premade frozen meals on a budget like that, but it's not too hard to get fresh/frozen fruit & veggies, beans, eggs, tofu, the things that keep me going. Actually, I realized some of the unhealthy foods I've cut back on (namely chips ahoy...how I miss them!) were more expensive than the healthy foods I've added!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    She's in UK... May be wrong conversion.. pounds/Euros to dollars.?

If that's the case, it would be even more in US dollars. o:
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,329 Member
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    She's in UK... May be wrong conversion.. pounds/Euros to dollars.?

If that's the case, it would be even more in US dollars. o:

Well one can only guess if the op did the conversion wrong.. πŸ’΅πŸ’ΆπŸ’·