Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Impossible Whopper: Your thoughts on plant-based burgers?

Options
MikePTY
MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
I'll start this post off by saying that I'm a big meat eater and have been pretty much since birth. That being said, I'm sympathetic to the argument about the environmental impact of meat, especially beef production, so the idea of plant based burgers that were supposedly as good as the real thing has always intrigued me.

Today (in what is not an April's Food joke), Burger King announced they are debuting the "Impossible Whopper", made with the plant based Impossible Burger patty at 59 location in St. Louis, as a test for a potential national wide roll-out. Most of the reviews say that the burgers are basically indistinguishable in taste and texture from the real thing. They currently cost about $1 more than a regular whopper, but that could go down as production increases and cost efficiency is built in.

If you are a meat eater, what are your thoughts about the idea of plant based burgers? Would you be willing to incorporate them into your diet if the taste and cost was the same as a beef burger? Would you be willing to pay a premium for it? Or is nothing taking you away from the real thing?

From a calorie perspective, the impossible version of the whopper has 9 grams of fat less and 50 calories less than a regular Whopper.

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-april-fools-joke-this-burger-king-whopper-is-meat-free-and-youd-never-know/

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I no longer eat a lot of meat/beef (have been moving towards a more pescetarian style woe), however I do enjoy a Whopper a couple times a year and I would continue getting it with the real beef. I've never tried fake meat options, just doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    We have a burger shop up the road from my place where ALL their burgers are plant-based. I haven't tried it yet, but some friends have and said they are great.

I have had the odd veggie burger here and there and enjoyed it, but I think, especially now that I am more conscious of protein intake, that meat is just easier for me to get my protein in.

A veggie burger or meat-alternative burger I'm assuming would have less protein. I have no idea - just guessing!!!

I would't eat it from Burger King though. Every single time I've had Burger King I have vomited. And I did try more than once to make sure it wasn't just a coincidence and I was feeling sick from something else. No. It was the burger. McDonald's is fine tho. No vomiting there.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at a BK for years, but the last time I did (maybe the reason it was the last time) what they called meat didn't taste like meat.

• roselark36
    roselark36 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think this is a brilliant move and could go a long way towards BK getting some of that market share back. I am a meat eater, but have significantly cut back my meat intake to a few times a week....also for environmental reasons. I am seriously considering just making the switch to vegetarian.

A vegetarian burger will never be the same as the real thing, but there are quite a few out there that I like just as much and given an option, will almost always go with the meat-free one.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like this idea because my husband eats pescetarian (though 90% vegetarian, I'd say) and he cooks our meals and uses quite a few plant-based "meats". I like most of them. I don't like tofurky or seitan very well but I love the various veggie burgers, sausage, meatballs, etc...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'd try it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Impossible Burger at a non-fastfood place a while back. It was actually pretty good, and a pretty satisfying meal. I think they've reworked the recipe to make it gluten free as well.

I wonder about them going into the big fast food chains though. It has to be a challenge to scale up to produce enough for Burger King's system without cutting some corners, or it there's any difference in cooking the patties. But if they can make it work, sure I'd give it a shot.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no real desire to try the impossible burger. There are plenty of places to get it here, but I'll pass. I would try a bite if a friend got one and offered to let me try it, but otherwise I feel no need. If I want a vegetarian burger, I'll eat a veggie burger (preferably one that's hand with the idea that vegetables taste good, not one that is trying recreate meat). If I want a lower calorie burger that involves meat, I'll eat a turkey burger (which I probably like more than hamburgers).

In terms of it being heavily processed, it's probably not any more "processed" than a Burger King burger.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've tried every fake meat burger under the sun. Nothing can match the real thing. That being said, my mind is open, but at the same time, it's going to be heavily processed and probably not great for you, so that's something to consider.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for the opinions of meat eaters, but I wanted to answer this question from a few different angles.

As a vegetarian, the option of being able to get something on the go appeals to me.

As a person with celiac disease? I'm still out in left field. Impossible Burgers have gluten in them and I can't eat them.

I'm aware that getting gluten free fast food, even vegetarian options, isn't really that hard in other countries. Many of the chains we have here in America have gluten free buns and dedicated grill space in their European counterparts. Thanks to EU food laws, their fries don't have flavoring additives that contain gluten (I'm looking at you, McDonald's) and they cook them in dedicated fryers.

There are already gluten free vegetarian patties available in some chains.

I don't know why it's easy for these chains to accommodate these issues overseas, and not here in the States.

They redid their formula back in January. The new impossible burger recipe is gluten free. Whether Burger King could prepare it that way is another thing, but the new version of the patty is.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would be tempted but the impossible burger has 6 times the amount of sodium that regular beef does. Eating fast food is already a big sodium hit for someone with salt sensitivity so it's a no for me. Too bad because i'd totally try it otherwise.