Pregnancy – August 2011

Options

Replies

• ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Mad- I could stand to lose about 100 lbs. When I got pregnant my ob office suggested no weight gain if possible. I lost 14lbs right at the beginning and then gained 6 or 7 back. I am still at a loss from the very beginning. The dr said I was up 3 lbs from the previous visit at my 20 week appt and was very happy. He said he wasn't concerned and would be fine with me even losing as long as baby looked fine on u/s and was growing. Which she is. I asked him about this site and calorie settings and he said he would prefer me to just be set at maintenance (not trying to lose or cut calories).
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies re: weight gain/loss, folks, that's very helpful. I will have to see what my own doc says (I just got a positive test on Friday at 10 DPO, so I'm not going to schedule my visit until after my vacation this week - my OB tends to want folks to come in around 8 weeks for the first visit anyway). I'm just concerned about gaining more weight given that I'm starting 50 pounds heavier than my first pregnancy, I'm hoping that my doctor doesn't push me to gain a lot. Given my large fat stores, I can't imagine the baby wouldn't grow well with those extra calories available! Of course I'll wait and see what my doctor says, but I am going to try not to gain much at all with this baby while eating very healthy and staying fit.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome response Ronya, oh and the daycares here are split. There are the ones that are government subsidized (CPE’s) and the private ones. It’s the CPE’s that have a 2year waiting list on them, but the wait is worth it. They are $7day instead of $30-35 with private, not to mention the CPE’s are monitored and inspected regularly unlike the private system, and they are open year round (you don’t have to take your vacation according to the educators schedule). Luckily my husbands aunt is one of the inspectors (she runs a CPE and inspects monitors 7 others, but in a different area) and she offered to come with me to visit the ones near my place and give feedback on who’s doing what to code. But given the time sensitivity, we need to do that in the upcoming month.

I don have a question for everyone, where did you guys get the tickers?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Ashley - I got my ticker from baby-gaga.com. You create the ticker and then copy and paste it to your signature. MFP won't use the html version, but it has another choice (I don't remember beyond that).

BadBabysMama - I can't imagine your doc wanting you to gain more than 15 lbs (I would even assume less than that). Congrats on positive test! Hope to see you around here plenty, this has been a great resource for me to maintain a healthy weight gain and keep my body moving this pregnancy.

Ronya - you could always try the hot/cold packs that Brittony had heard about :laugh: Hopefully Kathryn cooperates and turns herself back around like a good baby. Or, at the very worst, than a version is feasible for you.

AFM - had a series of bizarre dreams last night, something about us moving and I was trying to get everything packed before the movers came (and they were on their way or something) but the more I packed the more there was to do... I can't figure it out. But I'm quite fuzzy-headed today.
    Went to a breastfeeding class through WIC today. I was so bored ... but maybe because I've been through it all before. There were a couple of things that were reminders, but not much that I didn't already know. But they require every mom-to-be to attend, so at least I've gotten that over with.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918
    Options
    I was told today that this was my last "pants on" doctor appointment totally caught me off guard at first! :laugh: I immediately thought "Guess it's time to REALLY weedwhack!!" I am officially in the every week appointment zone now. I'll have my Strep B done next week as well as checking to see if I've dilated :noway: :noway: Oh, how quickly these last few weeks are going!
  • Anya1982
    Anya1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I am 10 weeks pregnant and would love to meet other moms to be who love to keep weight down and stay slim even being pregnant.
    This is my second pregnancy, we have 9 months old son and with my first pregnancy I put 2 stones on. The first one has gone after the delivery of the baby but the second one is still on me. I love being slim and with my 1st pregnancy I could not exercise due to some complications but now I have decided to be much more active and healthy so I don't end up a stone heavier.
    People say all sorts of things that breastfeeding helps to losethe weight, running after the child and so on.maybe .. for some women..not with me...
    I did all of that plus trying to be active and healthy but have not lost anything since the delivery of the baby. That's why I would love to meet others who has similar experience and try to encourage each other with being healthy and active while being pregnant.
    I believe losing weight with a second child on board will be even more challenging due to busy life style and being over tired.
    Get in touch if you feel like you are in similar situation.:flowerforyou:
    First pregnancy: starting weight 57kg=125.4pounds. End up and currently 63kg=138.6pounds.
    Second pregnancy:starting weight 63kg.=138.6 End up..... we will see:) in 30 weeks time:)
    The battle with the weight is on...
    To be continued...
    :)
  • JKilty
    JKilty Posts: 75
    Options
    So...finding full time infant child care is a nightmare. Any tips? Any questions I should be asking? I have a list, but I don't want to miss anything. We were wanting an in home daycare, but no one seems to want to hold a spot until we need it in January.
  • ElizabethJ17
    Options
    We got super lucky with daycare. A girl I went to hs with and played sports with since we were little has an in home daycare. She watches my 20 month old now and said she would also have an infant spot for us in January. We pay $70 if my daughter only goes 2 days and we pay $130 for 3 days and up. For the toddler and infant she said she would charge us $230 every week. She has a degree in childhood education so she works with the little ones a bit more than a regular daycare provider. We looked into a center and for the 2 kids it would be $440 a week. That is on the low side some centers in the twin cities charge close to $1,000 a week for 2 kids. I would ask a few basic questions and I am sure other ladies will have some more advice.
    Is the daycare licenses?
    How many kids do they have?
    What is their holiday schedule?
    How much notice is provided when daycare is closed?
    Do you have to still pay to keep your spot if you are on vacation or don't need daycare a certain day?
    When is your payment due?
    How much notice is needed to leave the daycare?
    How much notice do they give you if you are kicked out?
    Do they have current cpr training?
    Have they had any medical issues at the daycare in the past?
    What do you need to bring and what is provided by the daycare?

Hope this helps you some. Remember to go with your gut. As a mom you have a sixth sense and if a place seems shady or something doesnt seem right go with a different place. We were lucky my dad watched our first daughter until she was 1 that helped a lot. I am sure I will be a paranoid freak when daughter #2 comes.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Child care is a nightmare. That's why I stayed home with my daughter after she was born. Pretty rough financially with only hubby working though. Now I get to do it again for another 5 years!! He's been going away for 6-months at a time to work in Alberta because that's where the high paying jobs are. He's missed out on A LOT of his child's life as a result so it's a give and take scenario.
    Babysitters/Day Care are expensive. If I were to work, my pay would be going toward child care so that's why I've stayed home and raised my child(ren). Oldest is starting school in a couple of weeks but by then I'll be close to delivering this one.

As it is today I am babysitting a little boy. His mom was stuck because day care is closed for 3 days and she didn't know about it!! So even if you are a working mom, things still arise where you need a backup plan. Luckily I don't have a social life so I'm almost always home. Stressful!!

I commend working moms.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Question, what is one thing that you got/bought that you can't live with out for your babes? With DS it was a video monitor, best money I spent. The thing I coud have done with out is the bumbo seat, never used it. This time around I'm REALLY excited to use the fisher price rock and play sleeper for baby number 2. I've heard great things about it and am super excited. I also ordered a monitor for prevention of SIDS. I can't remeber the name but it clips right to the diaper and has a motion sensor on it. It it doesn't sense movement for 15 seconds it vibrates to stimulate the baby. If it happens again, the alarm goes off. I'm super glad to have that because with DS if I wasn't up nursing I was up standing over him making sure he was breathing. This way I can SLEEP! YAY! :smile:
  • mukie89
    mukie89 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    abeare- welcome and congratulations on the pregnancy!! As far as the question of when to tell people, the only thing id say is to remember the extra risk associated with the pregnancy in the first three months. because of this my fiance' and i waited until the 12 week mark to tell anyone other than immediate family, to protect ourselves

kaylou- welcome! its never too late to join :) this thread rolls over every month

Anna441-welcome!

Danielle- I dont know about you but any self-maintenance down there is already becoming a problem for me:tongue: my fiance' has actually offered to help me out with it the past week which is sooooo nice, though the thought of him with a razor down there is a tad too daunting, i think brazillian is the only way to go lol, ouch

So i got abit of a shock when my colostrum came in the other day, I had just finished reading some of my book about breastfeeding and looked down to see my left nipple leaking through my shirt (i wonder if the increased thoughts of breastfeeding have brought this on).Either way it was actually quite exciting:smile:

The one pain in the butt i have at the moment (quite literally) is shingles :sad: there's a patch of it right below my right butt check and it hurts like hell! especially when im sitting all day. Just got to get through it i guess.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Ashley – I had to read that a few times to make sure I got it right. $7 a day is awesome, we’ll be paying $165 a week when I go back to work in January. It’s feasible for us now, but I’ll have to get my student loans paid off before we have a second one.

Julz – I told my husband that I was going to try to cold/hot packs, but told me that I’d be torturing the baby. That just means I’ll do it when he’s not home. :laugh: And for as much as I don’t want a c-section, I rather end up with one than let the doctor try a version. One of the women I work with had one done least year, she ended up with two broken ribs and the baby still didn’t flip.

Danielle – I think after tomorrow I only have one more “pants on” appointment. I can’t really see enough to “weedwhack” so attempting that should be interesting.

Jenna – Elizabeth touched on most of the questions, but also ask about their sick child policy, the staff turnover rate and how they handle emergency situations (we just had an earthquake here so that’s fresh in my mind). I wish I could stay at home after she’s born but it’s not feasible for us.

Melissa – oh no! So sorry about the shingles, my brother had them all over his back and stomach last year, he said they were horrible.

Kathryn is confused and thinks she’s back in the 1st trimester again. I was sick for over an hour this morning and now I’m dizzy and nauseous.:sick: Blah! On a happy note, hubby is picking up our glider tonight and will be done painting the mural in the nursery this weekend! :happy: :happy:
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Ronya - I had to chuckle about your husband's response to the hot/cold packs. I was putting ice on my tummy (where I'd burned it), and baby started wiggling a lot. I guess he didn't care for it (though it was reassuring to feel him move right then, after the burn). I think he also jumped when I first burned it. But the doctor said that baby is really well insulated, so it certainly didn't hurt him. Hot/cold pack when hubby isn't home ... good plan :laugh: . Hopefully you can avoid a c-section; I don't blame you for being nervous about a version, either.

Day care questions I thought of: -Ask to see where they diaper and where they prepare food/bottles (they should be different rooms) and look for sanitary conditions - make sure they sanitize changing station after each change, have clean kitchen practices, etc.
    -Ask about their vaccination policy, both for other kids and for employees. My pediatrician said that everyone in my family needs a flu shot this year because baby will too young to get one for this flu season. I'm asking my mom and MIL to get it too, since they will be helping with baby. If the daycare is lax on vaccinations, you may want to find somewhere else (take into account your own vaccinations preferences here, too, but unvaccinated kids can put your baby at risk).
    -If you are planning of bf/pumping and feeding baby breastmilk, make sure the center will support that. Ask how they will store you milk. Either way, make sure they throw out the rest of a bottle when baby is done (and that they only fill bottle to the right amount so you're not wasting a ton)
    -Watch how they interact with infants. Some places, especially big/busy ones, tend to leave infants in crib or swing unless they cry/fuss. Look for places that interact with the babies, make eye contact, cuddle, play etc.

Danielle - Doc said my next appointment, in a week, is going to be the strep B and internal check. I'm hoping after that we will have another couple of weeks before the next check, but it's sounding like I shouldn't plan on it. As far as landscaping, I'm practically blind without my glasses, so I've gotten used to doing it by touch, but it's definitely getting harder to reach :tongue:

AFM - Rough night last night. I had strange dreams the first few hours - that'll teach me to not read my Topology text right before bed, haha. Then I woke up just after midnight and couldn't get back to sleep because it seemed like baby wasn't moving. I finally got up and pulled out another text (will I learn?? lol) and once I was sitting he started moving more. Finally got back to bed 2 hours later. Soo sleepy this morning...
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Child care is a nightmare. That's why I stayed home with my daughter after she was born. Pretty rough financially with only hubby working though. Now I get to do it again for another 5 years!! He's been going away for 6-months at a time to work in Alberta because that's where the high paying jobs are. He's missed out on A LOT of his child's life as a result so it's a give and take scenario.
    Babysitters/Day Care are expensive. If I were to work, my pay would be going toward child care so that's why I've stayed home and raised my child(ren). Oldest is starting school in a couple of weeks but by then I'll be close to delivering this one.

As it is today I am babysitting a little boy. His mom was stuck because day care is closed for 3 days and she didn't know about it!! So even if you are a working mom, things still arise where you need a backup plan. Luckily I don't have a social life so I'm almost always home. Stressful!!

I commend working moms.
    This is the same reason why I don't work either. I have been home for 4 years now ( I have three children). I was just telling my husband how excited I was to possibly going back to work part-time and we found out about this little surprise so i will be home for another 4-5 years.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I am 10 weeks pregnant and would love to meet other moms to be who love to keep weight down and stay slim even being pregnant.
    This is my second pregnancy, we have 9 months old son and with my first pregnancy I put 2 stones on. The first one has gone after the delivery of the baby but the second one is still on me. I love being slim and with my 1st pregnancy I could not exercise due to some complications but now I have decided to be much more active and healthy so I don't end up a stone heavier.
    People say all sorts of things that breastfeeding helps to losethe weight, running after the child and so on.maybe .. for some women..not with me...
    I did all of that plus trying to be active and healthy but have not lost anything since the delivery of the baby. That's why I would love to meet others who has similar experience and try to encourage each other with being healthy and active while being pregnant.
    I believe losing weight with a second child on board will be even more challenging due to busy life style and being over tired.
    Get in touch if you feel like you are in similar situation.:flowerforyou:
    First pregnancy: starting weight 57kg=125.4pounds. End up and currently 63kg=138.6pounds.
    Second pregnancy:starting weight 63kg.=138.6 End up..... we will see:) in 30 weeks time:)
    The battle with the weight is on...
    To be continued...
    :)

Welcome! My story is kind of like yours. With the expection that I gained 50 with DS. I had pre e so a lot of it was swelling. My pre pregnancy weight with him was 130, ending at 180 (i'm 5'6). Got back down to 133 and found out we were expecting number 2! I've used this site and kept my weight in check this whole time. I'm 32 1/2 weeks and I have gained 20 pounds. My goal is 30 or less which if I keep it up I should be able to do. I have been way more active this time around and chasing DS helps to! BF did not help me loose ANY weight the first time. It took me 2.5 years to get back to my pre pregnancy weight and I did EVERYTHING. I even hired a personal trainer and worked out with her 2 times a week, did spinning, worked out at home and watched what I ate. My Dr. said that some times your body just hold on to that last 10, which is so true for me!
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Just got back from NST and U/S. Baby is measuring about a week ahead overall, he's about 5 1/2 lbs right now by their estimate. The doc their (not my regular doc, but at the maternal fetal medicine clinic) asked if we'd discussed an induction date yet. He said that it would be best for me to not go much past due date, let alone 42 weeks. I think it has more to do with high AFP than baby size. Much as I'm starting to be ready for this to be over, I'm not sure how I feel about scheduling induction before 40 weeks. I think I'll wait and talk to my regular OB when I see him next week before I really think about it.
  • mrsgrovester
    Options
    hi ive just found out im pregnant im 5 weeks and i was a size 6 with my first and wen id had her i was a size 10-12 now im a 16-18 im just so scared im going to end up like a whale with my second so want to start eating healthy. i havnt worked since i had my first and just got a job and found out i was pregnant with my second, complete bad timing but we were trying since we got married in may so decided to put back work another year :(

i want to eat healthy but its so expensive.... i shop at iceland mostly because its cheaper. what are you eating while u are pregnant? what foods r good for the baby? xxx
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918
    Options
    Jen- Someone bought us the rock and play sleeper and I’ve heard nothing but raves about it from other Mom’s. I’m hoping it is that good!

Melissa- Yeah, maintenance below was pretty bad here too. But all is well again! I bought a cheap pair of men’s clippers per Mel’s suggestion in the past and it worked out better than any razor ever has :laugh: ! I think I noticed my colostrum around the same time as you, too.

Ron- I’ve found that if I try to eat just a normal meal it makes me really sick. I’m eating almost less now than I have the entire pregnancy. Try eating 6 small meals instead and see if that makes you feel any better. It has really helped with my being so sick/upset stomach these last few weeks.

Julz- I think I’m going to have them go every other week with the internal checks. Unless it seems like things are progressing.

Welcome to all the newbies!!! :happy:
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    On my way in to be induced this AM. I am pretty upset that I have not gone into labour naturally before the doctor feels it is crucial to intervene.

I am 41 weeks 6 days today. Next time i post i should have my little baby!
  • ElizabethJ17
    Options
    I am sorry it isn't going as you hoped Rachel. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping for a fast and safe labor for you and the baby.