Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Impossible Whopper: Your thoughts on plant-based burgers?

1356716

Replies

  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I know you asked for the opinions of meat eaters, but I wanted to answer this question from a few different angles.

    As a vegetarian, the option of being able to get something on the go appeals to me.

    As a person with celiac disease? I'm still out in left field. Impossible Burgers have gluten in them and I can't eat them.

    I'm aware that getting gluten free fast food, even vegetarian options, isn't really that hard in other countries. Many of the chains we have here in America have gluten free buns and dedicated grill space in their European counterparts. Thanks to EU food laws, their fries don't have flavoring additives that contain gluten (I'm looking at you, McDonald's) and they cook them in dedicated fryers.

    There are already gluten free vegetarian patties available in some chains.

    I don't know why it's easy for these chains to accommodate these issues overseas, and not here in the States.

    They redid their formula back in January. The new impossible burger recipe is gluten free. Whether Burger King could prepare it that way is another thing, but the new version of the patty is.

    That's awesome. I'll have to look for a restaurant that has it.

    As a note make sure to check if the restaurant is using the new recipe or not. I know they were going through some sort of phase in period, and I am not sure if that is completed at all restaurants or not. I would assume they would know about their specific restaurant, but I believe you can also check on the impossible website to see which version a restaurant is using.

    The article I read dated yesterday said they were only rolling it out in St. Louis area locations.

    Sorry, to clarify: I am referring to the Impossible Burger in general. Burger King is only rolling out in St. Louis. They are using the new recipe. But there are about 7000 restaurants in the US that offer the impossible burger in some form. It's not clear to me if all are using the new formula yet or not.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I know you asked for the opinions of meat eaters, but I wanted to answer this question from a few different angles.

    As a vegetarian, the option of being able to get something on the go appeals to me.

    As a person with celiac disease? I'm still out in left field. Impossible Burgers have gluten in them and I can't eat them.

    I'm aware that getting gluten free fast food, even vegetarian options, isn't really that hard in other countries. Many of the chains we have here in America have gluten free buns and dedicated grill space in their European counterparts. Thanks to EU food laws, their fries don't have flavoring additives that contain gluten (I'm looking at you, McDonald's) and they cook them in dedicated fryers.

    There are already gluten free vegetarian patties available in some chains.

    I don't know why it's easy for these chains to accommodate these issues overseas, and not here in the States.

    They redid their formula back in January. The new impossible burger recipe is gluten free. Whether Burger King could prepare it that way is another thing, but the new version of the patty is.

    That's awesome. I'll have to look for a restaurant that has it.

    As a note make sure to check if the restaurant is using the new recipe or not. I know they were going through some sort of phase in period, and I am not sure if that is completed at all restaurants or not. I would assume they would know about their specific restaurant, but I believe you can also check on the impossible website to see which version a restaurant is using.

    The article I read dated yesterday said they were only rolling it out in St. Louis area locations.

    Sorry, to clarify: I am referring to the Impossible Burger in general. Burger King is only rolling out in St. Louis. They are using the new recipe. But there are about 7000 restaurants in the US that offer the impossible burger in some form. It's not clear to me if all are using the new formula yet or not.

    Ah... gotcha :)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited April 2019
    cathipa wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    I think it is a step in the right direction to get people to think about the foods they are consuming, however its still a Whopper and if it has cheese and mayo then it will be just as unhealthy as the beef based product they currently have.

    I don't think Whoppers have cheese, but even if they did, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about that. Just ups the calories, which may or may not fit in with a person's goals.

    Cheese is saturated fat which contributes to elevated cholesterol and heart disease. Yes there is something inherently unhealthy about that.

    :o
    Well...the more people are backing away from meat AND cheese, the more food will be available for the keto crowd! ;)
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I'm a meat eater. My parents did go through phases of trying to make us vegetarians, macrobiotics, whatever-the-fad-diets of their time, but I've determined through my own experience that I enjoy eating meat. I'm dominantly a texture-based eater, so to me, texture is key. When I eat a burger, I don't load it up with all sorts of additives; I hold the mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc. I generally deconstruct the burger and eat the components separately.

    Having said that, my WOE is based on CICO, so if it fits my calories, then it's a potential. If it pleases me in texture, it's a probable. And within that spectrum, I try and make conscious choices regarding sustainability. So I would definitely try this to see if it fits my WOE, but it wouldn't replace meat, it would simply become a quick-stop alternative during road trips.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,501 Member
    Whatever they try to sell, my husband STILL calls them "Burger Slug." :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I'm not into meat substitutes. I do eat veggie burgers, but they aren't a meat replacement...I usually make black bean burgers which are delicious, but in no way have the taste or texture of an actual burger.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I don't think they're introducing the impossible burger in the hope that people will order it instead of meat, it seems more directed at expanding their market share by appealing to vegetarian potential customers who might be enticed by tasty food they can eat.

    As for myself, no I wouldn't switch, I prefer meat, and it's a moot point anyway because like GottaBurnEmAll I have celiac disease and can't eat there in any case.

    Speaking as a long-term vegetarian (nearly 45 years), something that tastes like beef is not, to me, "tasty food". I know other veggies will differ, but if I really deeply enjoyed meat, I'd still be eating it. (I see no moral failure in meat-eating. I was married to hunter for decades - now widowed, not divorced ;) ).
    <snip>

    I definitely should have been more specific regarding "tasty food" and qualified my comment with "for people who are looking for a vegetarian equivalent of a meat burger..." :)

  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I don't think they're introducing the impossible burger in the hope that people will order it instead of meat, it seems more directed at expanding their market share by appealing to vegetarian potential customers who might be enticed by tasty food they can eat.

    As for myself, no I wouldn't switch, I prefer meat, and it's a moot point anyway because like GottaBurnEmAll I have celiac disease and can't eat there in any case.

    Speaking as a long-term vegetarian (nearly 45 years), something that tastes like beef is not, to me, "tasty food". I know other veggies will differ, but if I really deeply enjoyed meat, I'd still be eating it. (I see no moral failure in meat-eating. I was married to hunter for decades - now widowed, not divorced ;) ).
    <snip>

    I definitely should have been more specific regarding "tasty food" and qualified my comment with "for people who are looking for a vegetarian equivalent of a meat burger..." :)

    I am a non-meat eater who deeply enjoyed meat. Taste had nothing to do with me eliminating it, so I'm pleased with the recent development of more "realistic" alternatives.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I would most definitely switch to it if I like it because, why not? I'm not attached to the idea of eating meat when there is a good alternative and I eat burgers for the way the meat makes the bun taste, not for the meat itself.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    As someone with thyroid issues, I try to avoid soy. Most plant based meat and protein alternatives are derived from soy. I couldn't find any info on what the actual ingredients are so I would be hesitant to try it. I'll be sticking with real meat for the protein and iron it contains.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    I doubt I would enjoy it as a hamburger replacement.

    I know the trend most places are thin little well-done patties. They cook fast, etc. When I order a hamburger I want a fat patty and I want it rare. I normally get my burgers at Ted's Montana Grill (mmm, bison) and LarkBurger (black angus beef). Don't even get me started on the horror that is American "cheese" and how so many places ONLY offer that.

    Now if it was just a delicious sandwich,not trying to replicate the hamburger experience, I might like it.

  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    jakestaby wrote: »
    I ate the Impossible Burger at Apollo Burger in SLC, UT for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I usually can't stand the substitute burgers/meats, but this was amazing. It tasted so much better than a normal burger.

    I was skeptical before trying it, but I'm 100% a believer now.

    We have a local restaurant that sells an Impossible Burger and it really is absolutely delicious. It's my son's favorite burger. I have no idea what the calorie count is or protein/calorie ratio is, but taste wise I'd eat it any day.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    As someone with thyroid issues, I try to avoid soy. Most plant based meat and protein alternatives are derived from soy. I couldn't find any info on what the actual ingredients are so I would be hesitant to try it. I'll be sticking with real meat for the protein and iron it contains.

    Their website breaks down the ingredients:

    https://impossiblefoods.com/food/
    jakestaby wrote: »
    I ate the Impossible Burger at Apollo Burger in SLC, UT for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I usually can't stand the substitute burgers/meats, but this was amazing. It tasted so much better than a normal burger.

    I was skeptical before trying it, but I'm 100% a believer now.

    We have a local restaurant that sells an Impossible Burger and it really is absolutely delicious. It's my son's favorite burger. I have no idea what the calorie count is or protein/calorie ratio is, but taste wise I'd eat it any day.

    On the link I posted above, it appears the calories, fat, & protein are on par with a regular burger, which is not a selling point for me. Nice nutritional profile, though.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 146 Member
    I’ve been meaning to try the impossible burger for a while. I’m a meat eater, but I’ve been phasing out beef at home.