Study: Exercise is more critical than diet to maintain weight loss

Jruzer
Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
This appears to be an interesting study, comparing individuals maintaining weight loss with two sets of controls: overweight individuals and normal weight individuals who had not been overweight. The key finding is that successful maintainers tend to be more physically active, on average, than either overweight or never-overweight people.

For what it's worth, this is in agreement with my own personal experience. I'm willing to be it's true for many others of us on these forums.

More from Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190329130227.htm
"This study addresses the difficult question of why so many people struggle to keep weight off over a long period. By providing evidence that a group of successful weight-loss maintainers engages in high levels of physical activity to prevent weight regain -- rather than chronically restricting their energy intake -- is a step forward to clarifying the relationship between exercise and weight-loss maintenance," said Danielle Ostendorf, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow at the CU Anschutz Health and Wellness Center.

The findings reveal that successful weight-loss maintainers rely on physical activity to remain in energy balance (rather than chronic restriction of dietary intake) to avoid weight regain. In the study, successful weight-loss maintainers are individuals who maintain a reduced body weight of 30 pounds or more for over a year.

Key findings include:
- The total calories burned (and consumed) each day by weight-loss maintainers was significantly higher (300 kcal/day) compared with that in individuals with normal body weight controls but was not significantly different from that in the individuals with overweight/obesity.
- Notably, of the total calories burned, the amount burned in physical activity by weight-loss maintainers was significantly higher (180 kcal/day) compared with that in both individuals of normal body weight and individuals with overweight/obesity. Despite the higher energy cost of moving a larger body mass incurred by individuals with overweight/obesity, weight-loss maintainers were burning more energy in physical activity, suggesting they were moving more.
- This is supported by the fact that the weight-loss maintainer group also demonstrated significantly higher levels of steps per day (12,000 steps per day) compared to participants at a normal body weight (9,000 steps per day) and participants with overweight/obesity (6,500 steps per day).

"Our findings suggest that this group of successful weight-loss maintainers are consuming a similar number of calories per day as individuals with overweight and obesity but appear to avoid weight regain by compensating for this with high levels of physical activity," said Victoria A. Catenacci, MD, a weight management physician and researcher at CU Anschutz Medical Campus.

Link to the study in the journal Obesity: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22373

Replies

• willdo3
    willdo3 Posts: 3 Member
    That was definitely true for me when I was younger 40's. I was running, cycling and doing weights in the gym. I never really considered my food intake, I just ate when hungry. Now in my 60's I take a lot more notice of my food intake, I find it far too easy to put weight on.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    There exists a major potential underlying self selection bias in all these studies, including this one, and perhaps even in what we do as overweight people in order to lose and maintain weight.

How many of us have heard of the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) database? Quite a few more I bet on MFP as compared to the general population, right?

Their studies, including the fact that successful maintainers on their database walk daily, is *one* of the reasons I started walking more in 2014 (another reason is that I was looking for an easy to implement--low cost of entry, easy to implement at the drop of a hat--exercise activity)

So is the fact that I walk a lot and maintain my weight and eat, on average, probably only a little bit less than I did 125lbs ago a ringing endorsement of exercise as a weight maintenance strategy, or is it the dual awareness of having to control calories in and that I feel good when I am more active?

When family issues recently resulted in me being less active AND eating more due to stress in spite of being aware that I was doing so, with a gain of about 3lbs of trending weight, was this the result of just not being as active and that I couldn't rely on exercise to maintain my weight? Or the result of the stress eating?

I think the stress eating had more to do with it, because I would argue that, self perceptually, I have no trouble reducing my eating to match my activity up until I reduce my activity to being within the realm of sedentary (sub 5K steps). At that point I do start having some trouble matching my eating to my TDEE.

I also don't think that it is a plus that the weight control registry excludes non US residents and that it is a recall once a year study.

In today's world with logs such as MFP and many others and with the availability of all day tracking devices I would think that there is scope (but no money) to get even more widespread data.

I would also love to know whether the weight control registry tracks the "failures". i.e. the strategies that people who fail to remain eligible were using <-- I have to look up whether and how they handle that, I don't know whether they do study it.

My quick read of the above link sees that weight control people have a TDEE of about 300 above the never obese and spend about 180 more on exercise.... where's the other 120?

I'm a participant of the NWCR and I never include exercise in my surveys, it's such a minimal factor in my weight management plan. I'm trying to be more intentional about walking now, (since the beginning of this year), but when I factor out how much I'm actually burning it's pretty sad :p I do it for my health, definitely not for the calorie burn lol.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    I've been maintaining for going on 7 years now. I don't do much in the way of purposeful exercise, but I have put in the effort to increase my NEAT significantly. On a sedentary day I only burn about 1300 to 1400 calories. I would find next to impossible to eat that little on a daily basis. I need at least 2000 to feel satisfied regardless of my activity, so I make sure to move enough that I can eat that much.
  • Jruzer
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I've read the summary a couple of times and I'm not sure I entirely understand the experiment and the conclusions drawn by the article. It seems to focus more or less on 3 groups of maintainers: those who are overweight, those who are normal weight and have not been overweight before, and those who were overweight but have lost weight to be normal weight. It is stating that the last group is most likely to be the most active of the three, but I don't think that does anything to establish a causal relationship. It seems like all three groups were maintaining their weight with their calorie in/calorie out.

This study's result certainly don't appear to be claiming: "Study: Exercise is more critical than diet to maintain weight loss". It appears to be claiming that weight loss maintainers in general seem to be pretty active people. At most, the conclusion we could draw from that is: "exercise assists in weight loss maintenance", which I think we all generally agree on. But there's nothing to here to suggest that it is more important than diet.

@MikePTY, agreed it is kind of a click-baity title. I used the Science Daily article title as the topic of my post. The journal article is titled "Physical Activity Energy Expenditure and Total Daily Energy Expenditure in Successful Weight Loss Maintainers", which is more precise, to be sure. But where's the pizzaz in that? :wink:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,584 Member
    edited April 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Being physically active is an important and useful part of weight control" is perhaps dull as a headline but attainable for the vast majority.

... and a true statement for a lot of people (that being physically active is an important and useful part of weight CONTROL)

Exercise is more critical than diet to maintain weight loss: not so sure that this is a true statement and that the summary conclusion supports that; but we already established that it was click-bait, didn't we...
  • Jruzer
    A figure from the study, showing PAEE, PAL (TDEE/REE), and steps for the three groups, with error bars. WLM=Weight Loss Management, NC=Normal Weight Control, OC=Overweight Control.

mgcob7d09ade.jpg
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I find exercise to be key because I am far more able to make good food choices when I am active. (Not sure exactly why, but exercise seems to act as a bit of an appetite suppressant for me .... maybe increased endorphins??)
  • Jruzer
    One more thing. Here's the reddit thread where I first saw this study discussed. There's some good discussion there as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/b81r6r/study_exercise_is_more_critical_than_diet_to/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,017 Member
    I'm not sure how to look at this, in personal terms. I was very active for a decade, while obese, before losing weight (by changing intake), and am now similarly active in year 3 of maintenance.

I think it's unusual (though not unheard of, obviously) for obese people to be very active. It's not terribly unusual for people who want to lose weight to add exercise in the weight-loss mix. It's probably (?) not that unusual for formerly obese people to discover how good it feels to be fitter, during that whole process, and stick with some level of exercise; and to find exercise simply more doable at a lighter body weight, besides.

So, through that lens, what to conclude from the data is a little murky to me.
    Jruzer wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    My quick read of the above link sees that weight control people have a TDEE of about 300 above the never obese and spend about 180 more on exercise.... where's the other 120?

In reading the study, the answer is that the authors discriminated between TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and PAEE (Physical Activity Energy Expenditure). The 300 refers to TDEE, while the 180 refers to PAEE. In looking at the data, it appears that the weight-loss group also has about 120 kcal/d higher REE than the never-overweight group.

Does that fly in the face of the "Biggest Loser Study" adaptive thermogenesis (so-called "metabolic damage") hand-wringing?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I'm one of those who uses exercise to maintain my weight and have done so for years. As a 62 year old female who is mostly sedentary, my maintenance is only 1400 calories. As someone who loves to eat, that isn't at all sustainable for me. By doing things like daily walks, running, biking, etc. I can eat a much more varied diet without gaining weight. Yes, I watch what I eat, but I get a lot more freedom to enjoy indulgences because I am active for at least part of my day.
  • Jruzer
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Does that fly in the face of the "Biggest Loser Study" adaptive thermogenesis (so-called "metabolic damage") hand-wringing?

I think it does. They do mention The Biggest Loser study in this article.

Another confounding factor: this study examines individuals who are successfully maintaining their weight. What we don't know is how these individuals have changed over time. In other words, this is a snapshot, not a longitudinal study of individuals over a long time. Perhaps these successful maintainers were people who tended to be more naturally active when they were heavier, and thus found success with weight loss because of this natural tendency.

For me personally, I tend to be a fidgeter. I know from my own data that my TDEE is a bit higher than calculators predict.