Frustrated with eating 1200 a day and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In the recent past, I've weighed myself in the morning and afternoon and had close to a 10 pound discrepancy. I went from 233 to 224 in one day. I did a lot of sweating and flushing water, and I'm not sure what else dictates daily weight fluctuations.

Anyway, other people's advice on here is great. Don't weigh yourself so often, or don't take it so hard when things don't change all that much. This is a slow process that likes when you are patient and consistent.

OP appears to be only weighing once per week, or else did not post all of their data. Frequency of weighing is a personal preference that does not affect weight loss, but many people find that weighing daily and using a trend weight app like Libra or Happy Scale helps them understand normal weight fluctuations that OP seems to be experiencing.
  • sngresak
    sngresak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sngresak wrote: »
    spiffy90 wrote: »
    If you weigh yourself once a week its not very reliable data. Either don't get bothered by it or weigh yourself daily in the morning and calculate a weekly average. Half a pound is very much in the ballpark of acceptable margin of error due to water retention. Also there is no way of knowing if you are indeed eating 1200kcals or more since we cant actually see anything in your diary.

I'm not eating a strict 1200 each day, some days are 1600 and others are 1000. I'd read that it's good to mix up the calorie amount you eat throughout the week so your body doesn't get "used" to what you're doing.

What I meant was over the course of the past 7 days, my caloric total was 9,023...or roughly equaling 1,289 calories a day.

Your body doesn't need to avoid getting "used" to a certain amount of calories in that way. If you find it easier to meet your goal mixing it up, then that's fine. But no reason to do it otherwise.

If you are eating a different amount each day, that can add a bit more unpredictability into what you will weigh on each individual day (a higher calorie day will leave you with more food in your body overall and may have more sodium or carbohydrates than other days). So your amount of temporary water weight may be fluctuating more than if you ate the same amount each day. This is another reason why weighing just once a week may not give you the best possible picture of how you're progressing.

Yes, this is a good point. Yesterday I ate at an all time high for the week at a little over 1700 since hubby and I actually got a sitter and went out for a nice date day lunch so I guess it would make sense that as of this morning the number may be a little skewed. I find it challenging to weight myself less than once a week. I want to obsess and check every single day and it feels like waiting for a good test score when I finally weigh myself for the week and the number is higher than I'd expect for it to be.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,762 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As several people mentioned in various posts, using a weight trend application or web site and concentrating on the trend as opposed to individual weight ins would be helpful in this and similar situations.

When using such applications providing more data (daily) is probably better for the purpose of establishing an accurate trend; however, our mental comfort is more important than anything else so if daily is too much... it is too much!

Many users do find, once they "force" themselves to weigh daily and understand how and WHY their weight fluctuates, that they eventually get desensitized to "adverse" fluctuations that are explainable based on past observations.

The physiqonomics article referenced above does cover most of the reasons weight fluctuates and is a very good summary of the whole issue. http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Putting the scale away and weighing far less often can be beneficial to some people too. It certainly helped me. In my first 3 months of weight loss I only weighed 2 times. It taught me that weight loss will happen whether I watch it or not and to stop looking to the scale results for motivation.

I do weigh myself daily now but I attribute that to time and education.

Some people never weigh and they prefer it. They measure themselves in other ways. How clothing their clothing fits seems to be popular.

I'm considering doing away with the scale. Mentally I want to be 105 lbs again, but after giving birth to two babies in the past 3 years, my entire body shape has just changed, and not solely from weight gain. I'm sure I could get back down to that weight again, but it would take a lot of mental energy to stay there and obsessing over being a certain weight is not something I want my kids to see me worry about or feel like they should worry about.

I think it's very important to consider what your maintenance routine would look like. To maintain at 105, you would have a pretty low maintenance calorie allowance unless you earned more calories by working out. Depending on your stats, it may also require many, many months of meticulous logging to get to that weight.

Is 105 at the bottom of your optimal BMI range? If so, you may prefer to lose weight until you get into your optimal BMI range (if you aren't already there) and then start a recomp plan to build muscle and cut fat, rather than continuing to lose weight until you get to 105. Many people feel tempted to lose down to the very bottom of their optimal weight range, but recomp is generally more likely to give them the appearance they want.
  • Raynee21
    Raynee21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What scale do you use?? I’m in the same boat. I track on MFP and I have around the same amount of calories I need to eat to lose bc I don’t weigh “that much”. I’m glad you’ve gone down again! I fluctuate a lot and I guess I could be eating more than I think I am
  • sngresak
    Options
    Raynee21 wrote: »
    What scale do you use?? I’m in the same boat. I track on MFP and I have around the same amount of calories I need to eat to lose bc I don’t weigh “that much”. I’m glad you’ve gone down again! I fluctuate a lot and I guess I could be eating more than I think I am

It's really difficult when you don't have "much to lose". The weight takes forever to go away and your calories have to be pretty low to even make a difference.

The scale we have is not fancy, it came from my husbands bachelor pad so it's probably about 10 years old and from Costco haha.
  • sngresak
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Putting the scale away and weighing far less often can be beneficial to some people too. It certainly helped me. In my first 3 months of weight loss I only weighed 2 times. It taught me that weight loss will happen whether I watch it or not and to stop looking to the scale results for motivation.

I do weigh myself daily now but I attribute that to time and education.

Some people never weigh and they prefer it. They measure themselves in other ways. How clothing their clothing fits seems to be popular.

I'm considering doing away with the scale. Mentally I want to be 105 lbs again, but after giving birth to two babies in the past 3 years, my entire body shape has just changed, and not solely from weight gain. I'm sure I could get back down to that weight again, but it would take a lot of mental energy to stay there and obsessing over being a certain weight is not something I want my kids to see me worry about or feel like they should worry about.

I think it's very important to consider what your maintenance routine would look like. To maintain at 105, you would have a pretty low maintenance calorie allowance unless you earned more calories by working out. Depending on your stats, it may also require many, many months of meticulous logging to get to that weight.

Is 105 at the bottom of your optimal BMI range? If so, you may prefer to lose weight until you get into your optimal BMI range (if you aren't already there) and then start a recomp plan to build muscle and cut fat, rather than continuing to lose weight until you get to 105. Many people feel tempted to lose down to the very bottom of their optimal weight range, but recomp is generally more likely to give them the appearance they want.

Height: 5 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 130.4 pounds

Your BMI is 23.8, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height. For your height, a normal weight range would be from 101 to 136 pounds.

I just don't personally feel comfortable with my weight right now. I'm technically in the "normal" range, but I still FEEL quite heavy, if that makes sense? I'm sure building some muscle tone and exercising more would help, it's just not realistic for my lifestyle right now. I'm hoping once the newborn gets a little older and isn't waking up as often throughout the night, I'll feel rested enough to want to get on a better workout routine than my current 30-45 minute yoga wind down routine each night.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I’m ecstatic when I lose 1/2 pound a week. If I have a cheat meal (like I did to celebrate my birthday) I don’t lose that week.